U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 AM

14 posts, read 59,471 times
Quote:
Nitrovic, thank you so much for all of your help in assisting us with the move to Lake Ridge. Your posts have been so helpful and we continue to follow them. Thanks again for everything! Please continue with all your helpful posts...
Second that sentiment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 7,429 times
Default Woodbridge/Marumsco Hills -- A good neighborhood

I've lived in Woodbridge/Marumsco Hills for almost 9 years now. Honestly, I've had no real problems. I take that back, in the 9 years, one weekend my ex-brother-in-law left his car parked on the street unlocked with his CD book open and in plain site. this was about 3 1/2 years ago. Someone stole his CDs. There are 4 young children living at home (2 in elementary school). I love my neighborhood. It really seems to depend a lot on the neighborhood no matter where you live.

My take, no matter where you choose, do yourself a favor ... this is what my realestate agent told me to do when I was looking for a house. She said, before you sign a contract, I want you to sit on the curb in front of or near the house you want to buy at dusk. Do you feel safe? Then, you can always sign the contract afterward. There are a couple teens in the neighborhood that aren't such great kids, but there are a lot more that are wonderful kids.

A little story about 3 young male teens... sounds like trouble, but it's not. These boys wanted a new PSP game, but their parents wouldn't buy it for them. So what did they do, they went house to house asking to do yardwork or anything else to earn a few dollars. My yard was a mess, I hadn't been able to work on it in months since I had just had a baby. These three boys worked literally for several hours nonstop cleaning it up and being great boys. They let my two young sons "help" them. When I paid them and my four year old (gave the 4 year old a couple dollars), they made such a big deal of it for him. He was so proud of himself. To this day over a year later, if they see him, they always say "Hi Freddie". This is the type of neighbors I have. Mostly good kids and hardworking parents who are doing their best to raise their kids right.

I'd easily recommend my neighborhood to anyone. Remember also, when you look at crime statistics, look at how many people are in an area. The more people in an area the larger the number of crimes is going to be, but not necessarily the percentage per capita.

Good luck.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 12,575 times
Default Advice on buying in Woodbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McScootch View Post
That is a good point. Dale City is basically broken down into Sections. Road names starting with the letter "A" (Ashdale) are closer to interstate 95 and they work their way down (West) Dale Boulevard ending around Trentdate. Once you get to to the Lindendale / Maplewood area and keep going west it continues to improve.

Stay away from Ashdale, Baywood, Cloverdale, Darbydale,Forestdale, Glendale, Hillendale, ect. You will also notice that a good number if the secondary roads also incorporate the word "Dale" into them. Traveling West from interstate 95 on Dale Boulevard, you will notice the points in Dale City's history. More Specifically you will see the progress and upgrading of homes through expansion of the city.
I am looking at buying a house in dale city, the street name is greenwood Dr. would you happen to know if the area is a good or bad one?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:46 PM

5 posts, read 22,449 times
Default maybe i'll move, maybe i wom't

can someone tell me about this area,island house loop area, woodbridge VA..

Old 03-07-2008, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 22,449 times
Default follow up to island loop house

i am coming from calif i live in a " secure community" i have lived here for 10 years in this area. crime is every where, a guy got shot down in front of our little post office.i dont want to move to an area where gang members are runnning the place. i have posted some stats from my area...certain areas i wont visit after dark.some apts i could tell you to stay away from...i live in a nice/safe area...

Victorville, CA - Woodbridge, VA

my stats didn't show up but maybe you can help me anyway, thanks.
Crime RatesWoodbridge, VirginiaVictorville, CaliforniaUnited StatesViolent Crime353Property Crime573

Last edited by july123; 03-07-2008 at 10:02 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 11:58 AM

34 posts, read 93,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foguno View Post
I am looking at buying a house in dale city, the street name is greenwood Dr. would you happen to know if the area is a good or bad one?
Hi,
I lived in Dale City for 20 years and it has continued to get worse..The area
you are talking about is not the best but not the worst. There is a gang
influence in DC, (the main reason I moved out) The only part of DC I would
think of living in , in down toward the Hoadley road area, very nice but expensive housing..To be honest I am glad to be out of DC..
Feel free to PM me with any questions..

Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM

407 posts, read 1,550,998 times
Woodbridge/Prince William County is fine...it has more nice/good areas than bad areas.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:33 AM

4 posts, read 16,064 times
I'm curious as to where in 22193 the people that said it's a nice area live? We're in the Mapledale section, and while it's not like living in D.C., we've had our share of problems. My car was broken into in my driveway, we've had our house egged, last year someone walked up our street and keyed every car parked along the street, we've had people come into our yard, etc. Houses are broken into in our neighborhood on a fairly regular basis. There are teens/kids in our neighborhood that have no respect for others property - it's common to look out our front window and find 3-4 kids sitting in our yard, just a couple of feet from our house. Stolen cars are abandoned on our street enough that I had a police officer ask me to call them whenever I see a car I don't recognize sitting there. We've also had more serious crimes such as a drive by shooting just on the other side of Dale Blvd from us last summer, and a teenager was beaten up by a group of other teens just down the block from us a couple of months ago.

We've had to call the cops numerous times because one neighbor likes to drag his girlfriend into their backyard and beat her up, and another house around the corner is operated like some kind of drug/flop house. People out there all hours of the night screaming at each other, fighting, etc. All of this has happened in the 3.5 years that we've been here.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 AM

4 posts, read 16,064 times
Oh, as for the soldier that was found dead on Ft. Belvoir a couple of months ago, I believe the husband has been charged with it, so it was a domestic issue.

Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 AM

523 posts, read 924,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by three11 View Post
I'm curious as to where in 22193 the people that said it's a nice area live? We're in the Mapledale section, and while it's not like living in D.C., we've had our share of problems. My car was broken into in my driveway, we've had our house egged, last year someone walked up our street and keyed every car parked along the street, we've had people come into our yard, etc. Houses are broken into in our neighborhood on a fairly regular basis. There are teens/kids in our neighborhood that have no respect for others property - it's common to look out our front window and find 3-4 kids sitting in our yard, just a couple of feet from our house. Stolen cars are abandoned on our street enough that I had a police officer ask me to call them whenever I see a car I don't recognize sitting there. We've also had more serious crimes such as a drive by shooting just on the other side of Dale Blvd from us last summer, and a teenager was beaten up by a group of other teens just down the block from us a couple of months ago.

We've had to call the cops numerous times because one neighbor likes to drag his girlfriend into their backyard and beat her up, and another house around the corner is operated like some kind of drug/flop house. People out there all hours of the night screaming at each other, fighting, etc. All of this has happened in the 3.5 years that we've been here.
So whats the problem? Sounds like a nice neighborhood to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia