U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 08:55 AM

141 posts, read 503,090 times
Default How bad is the crime in Woodbridge really????

My husband and I are planning on moving to Woodbridge from Florida. We currently live in a suburb in Florida which is relatively close to an area in Miami which has been hit with a lot of crime. However, the area where we currently live has not been affected greatly by the close proximity of that crime-ridden area in Miami.

When we took the time this morning to read the police blotters in the local Potomac newspapers, there were horrific crimes in Dale City, Woodbridge and surrounding areas. Armed robberies, shootings, drugs, etc.
Are we foolish to purchase in Woodbridge after reading those crime statistics or is basically a situation where there is a “bad” area of Woodbridge and a “good” area, such as Lake Ridge and away from Route I? Are any communities that we should stay away from or is Woodbridge/Lake Ridge a bad idea altogether?

This forum has been so helpful so any input is appreciated
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM

130 posts, read 453,285 times
Just spotted this question but answered in your other thread. PM me if you have any more questions...
Good luck!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 21,414 times
Default Crime in Woodbrige in 2007?

I have the same interest as the Florida writer. Can somebody supply a hot link to crime statistics in the Woodbridge area? I'm specifically interested in new condos near the water. That may have a bearing on the relative crime problem.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:17 PM

566 posts, read 2,097,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A James Arnold View Post
I have the same interest as the Florida writer. Can somebody supply a hot link to crime statistics in the Woodbridge area? I'm specifically interested in new condos near the water. That may have a bearing on the relative crime problem.
Here you go. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...=1197577170887

Here's another... http://www.manassasjm.com/servlet/Sa...788&path=!news

Good luck with the search. Regardless of what many people will tell you, there are some really nice neighborhoods down that way.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:05 AM

352 posts, read 1,082,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidS827 View Post
Here you go. http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...=1197577170887

Here's another... http://www.manassasjm.com/servlet/Sa...788&path=!news

Good luck with the search. Regardless of what many people will tell you, there are some really nice neighborhoods down that way.
Agreed, particularly if you stay WEST of I-95. Lake Ridge (zip 22192) is often quite lovely, and I'd start my search with that area, if I were you.

Welcome to Prince William County!

Old 12-15-2007, 10:15 PM

556 posts, read 1,748,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
Agreed, particularly if you stay WEST of I-95. Lake Ridge (zip 22192) is often quite lovely, and I'd start my search with that area, if I were you.

Welcome to Prince William County!
I agree, stay west. For the most part anything off Rt.1 es no bueno.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 70,089 times
Default You are kidding, right?

I am a travel nurse on contract in Fort Lauderdale, and I worked in Miami for a short time. I lived in Northern VA for a year and a half-I miss it there alot. I never felt unsafe in VA, and I even worked in DC, and never felt as unsafe as I do in South Florida. If they don't kill you on the road, the will wear a mask and rob you, and still kill you even though you can't identify them. My car window was smashed in and things stolen right in the parking garage at work. I have lived in 6 states, and have never seen such bad crime as I have in Southern Florida. It's a third world country here, and people do whatever they want to whomever they want. No one cares about anything, and people are desensitized to crime here. I am sure you heard abouth the mother and daughter that were killed in their car in Boca after xmas shopping.
Let me tell you that I never heard of things happening in Northern VA that I have had here. I can't wait to get out of here, and hope I make it out of here alive. You have nothing to worry about in Northern VA if you have lived here. I would feel comfortable raising kids in VA, but not here. I hope this helps, after travelling to different states, this is how I see it. Good Luck. Also, if you do a crime rate comparison, I am sure the numbers will tell you.
Traci

Last edited by tracivrn; 12-16-2007 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-16-2007, 11:56 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,381,333 times
There are some posters on this forum who will act like Woodbridge is the next southeast DC (VERY rough area), it's just not the case. Coming from South Florida I doubt you will find the crime to be bad at all in the area. I have several friends who have lived in Dale City/Woodbridge for a long time and have never had any problems. They are building some very nice developments in the Woodbridge area along both sides of I-95, however I will agree with the above posters that the west side of 95 is definitely a nicer area.

Old 12-16-2007, 01:26 PM

556 posts, read 1,748,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfronz View Post
There are some posters on this forum who will act like Woodbridge is the next southeast DC (VERY rough area), it's just not the case. Coming from South Florida I doubt you will find the crime to be bad at all in the area. I have several friends who have lived in Dale City/Woodbridge for a long time and have never had any problems. They are building some very nice developments in the Woodbridge area along both sides of I-95, however I will agree with the above posters that the west side of 95 is definitely a nicer area.
I don't think anybody is saying it's the worst area in the world. But it's sort of ignorant to tell somebody that it is a great area just because it's better than the areas in south Florida. The crime in Woodbridge is not as bad as southeast DC, but it is there. The schools aren't the best in the area and the traffic sucks. Beyond that they have a very large illegal immigrant problem as well as some gangs/drugs. Again, not as bad as other areas around the country, but also not the better place in the NOVA area.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:23 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,381,333 times
did i say it was the best place to live in Northern Virginia? pretty sure i didn't. i merely said it wasn't this awful place to go and raise a family. It's also sort of ignorant to imply that just because there are a few more illegal immigrants in Prince William than elsewhere that the crime is so much worse. Last time i checked illegal immigrants are everywhere in Northern VA and the traffic also sucks everywhere in Northern VA. I pointed out that areas east of I-95 weren't the best and I will add if i were looking for a family atmosphere that particular part of Woodbridge wouldn't exactly be my choice. Bottom line, in GENERAL it is not a bad area to live in/raise a family. It's not perfect but I can't really think of any area that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia