Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM

10 posts, read 45,713 times

Advertisements

Hi fellas,

I was looking for a place near Ballston mall under 1k. Barcroft seem to have a deal around that price range. My question is, how is the area? Anyone here ever lived/visited Barcroft? Is there any other apartments/houses in that area within that price range?

Thanks in advance for all your inputs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
I drive by there all the time. On the plus side, it's a short drive (or a healthy walk) to Shirlington, as well as restaurants and the new Giant on Columbia Pike. Very near Route 50. And a short hope to the Pentagon.

But that area near that intersection seems to be mostly recent Central American immigrants. You could be in for some culture shock. I'd check it out in person if I were you.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM

10 posts, read 45,713 times
Thank you Carlingtonian.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:47 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,426,004 times
You get what you pay for with Barcroft. The buildings are really old (like from the 40s) and they have a MAJOR roach problem there. I believe it is also window A/C as well.

You get what you pay for. Realistically if you want your own place for $1K in that area you aren't going to do any better. There are a couple of buildings with low rents around, but they are section 8 housing.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,178 times
Default Barcroft apt

Be advise, there are a lot of illegals...and a difficult smells from time to time

Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 PM

494 posts, read 1,191,558 times
Don't know about the roach situation or condition of the units, but the location is great. You can walk to a Food Star mini market that has a lot of fruits/vegetables that are really low priced. Who knew that immigrants love fresh produce. That market is a hidden gem.

The immigrants really hardly talk to me when I walk that area. They just want to get by. Honestly, I've been harrassed more outside the Columbia pike metro station in the daytime.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:55 AM

38 posts, read 94,357 times
I had a friend that lived at Barcroft Apartments about 2 years ago....

The apartments are pretty spartan and stuck in the 70's...but definitely do-able as a single lady. They are spacious enough and everything works well (hot water to take a shower, the stove cooks pretty good, heat is plenty, AC works but doesn't get too cold- but you can pick up a portable AC at home depot for less than $300 now if you need your apartment ICE cold all summer. I wouldn't be embarrased to bring a friend to visit- it's not THAT bad inside. Just dress it up a bit with some pretty IKEA window dressings and cool paintings and mirrors and such to brighten it up! Think of Barcroft as a NYC style 4th floor walkup pre-war. Liveable, but nowhere near as modern. Hence, the low rent.

I will admit- I DID see the occasional rat run around outside late at night- but there were never any in her apartment. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the less sanitary tenants had them in their units. But if one is sanitary, they should not be a problem. She was fastidious about cleaning, so only the occasional (and I mean once a month maybe?) baby roach appeared, but boric acid lining all the walls, especially in the cracks and crevices/under the bathroom and kitchen sinks around the pipes made quick work of it. That and the sonic roach/rat repellents you plug into the wall for like $25 at home depot. Those WORKED. Put 1 in every room.

As stated before, there is a HIGH immigrant presence...but don't worry- they keep to themselves and are mostly seen walking back and forth to get to their bus stop or the store...unless you ACT like a victim no one will bother you. Just be alert to your surroundings- same thing I'd say if you wanted to walk around NYC at night. Most are friendly but are a bit pushy selling their wares- the ladies might bug you to buy one of their tamalaes or the men with their ice cream carts and I did and they were good! Friendly working class people just trying to live- nothing to worry about! We are all in the same boat- POOR! Lack of money knows no color!

I am a black female and was NEVER afraid walking around outside on the grounds or even walking to the 7-11 right next door at 1145 for that last minute beer run

I would personally recommend Barcroft if you are just looking for a cheap apartment to rest your head after a long day of work and don't need a pool or assigned parking or even a washer/dryer and insist on staying in Arlington proper (it is the cheapest and is a great deal for the price/location!)....but if you want something nice to show off, go elsewhere...this is a working-class community. I would recommend it for kids too- there is a HUGE park/playground right across the street to play basketball/soccer/BBQ at. And the 4 mile run rec center is an easy 10 minute walk away with baseball fields, basketball, tennis, a COOL playground for the kids, etc etc!

EDIT- one caveat- if you have a nice car or one people like to steal- KEEP YOUR ALARM ON and try to park in view of your apartment if you can. My old hooptie was broken into and they almost got the stereo but my pager alarm alerted me my car was touched and I was outside at the count of 3 and the guys ran off. So lock your car/hide valuables/if you have a system in your car don't blast it around there. It's a recession so crimes of this type do tend to pick up. I know it's illegal but i have limo tint on my car now so NO ONE can see what I have inside.

My rating? 2.5/5 stars. Just a basic spot to call home.

DISCLAIMER- I don't work for them or are associated in any way- I just like to tell people how it REALLY is!

Old 09-29-2013, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,562 times
Default Barcroft Apartments

Did you decide to live there? I am looking into living there now. Can any one give more reviews on the Barcroft Apartment complex.

Old 09-29-2013, 04:58 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchkbrw View Post
Did you decide to live there? I am looking into living there now. Can any one give more reviews on the Barcroft Apartment complex.
I just moved to one of the high-rises across the street on 4 Mile. Personally I think the area is fine. However just from the outside I'd expect a hell of a lot of roaches and a lot of older appliances and the pains of an older apartment. I think for comparable rent I would look at Oakland apartments on Columbia Pike closer to Glebe.

Old 09-29-2013, 06:39 PM

194 posts, read 400,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchkbrw View Post
Try apartmentratings.com

I looked at their model unit about 6 months ago. Ultimately I decided not to live there because I didn't like the fact that none of their buildings have locks on them, and not all of the buildings have washers and dryers (so you will be walking though the courtyard in the dead of winter with your laundry to get to some machines). Plus the closet space for the 1BR is pretty pitiful.

The complex is huge, also. I don't have a car, and they gave me no guarantees that I'd be in a building close to Columbia Pike. So I let it go. Too many nagatives. The only positive was the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia