U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 06:38 AM

11 posts, read 40,800 times

Advertisements

My family is getting stationed at Ft. McNair this summer and we want to live as close to DC as possible.

Financially, it looks like we'll need to live in a townhouse. We've been looking at Cameron Station and Kingstowne but also older ones around Old Town.

The biggest hitch is that my husband plays the piano in the evening and I'm wondering how soundproof the new townhouses are? How about the older ones?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 07:41 AM

171 posts, read 266,451 times
Our townhouse was build in ~1995 and soundproof is good. Our neighbors never complained when I play the piano (although I never play after 9pm). We have a few friends in the same TH community who also play the piano and I have not heard any comments from them about their neighbors being disturbed, either.

Also, there are other possible noises around in any community – barking dogs, crying children, loud volume on TV, neighbors partying late. So I think that as long as you are a caring neighbor, who makes an effort to keep any noise down, you should be fine.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM

1,328 posts, read 2,697,129 times
Our TH in Kingstowne is very sound proof. Our landlord had a piano in the basement and I gather played it all the time. As long as you aren't playing on the same floor as the bedrooms I imagine it won't be too bad. Or with the windows open.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:54 AM

83 posts, read 172,554 times
Unless he's really bad, or plays really late, I don't imagine most people would complain.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:16 AM

388 posts, read 681,165 times
Are we talking an upright or baby grand piano? If it's a nice eletric piano he could always just turn down. I hear my neighbors all the time, but it's not enough to be an issue. We're probably much louder with our music and movies, and I would imagine they might hear quite a bit. It's one of the downfalls of living in a townhouse with shoddy construction and poor materials.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,627,667 times
After you move in I would suggest introducing yourself to the neighbor on either side, tell them your husband will be playing the piano in the evening and ask them to let you know if there is a specific time that it would disturb them. Chances are they will have their television on and it won't be a problem.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 AM

2,177 posts, read 2,914,734 times
I am currently renting a townhouse and my neighbor plays piano sometimes. it drives me nuts! I guess the insulation between units is not up to snuff and I can clearly hear it. I wouldnt mind it so much, but she plays fairly early in the morning and it often wakes me. She is a great neighbor so I wont mention it to her, and it doesnt happen every day..but still, it can be annoying.

As others have said, I suggest you meet your new neighbors and give them a heads up.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM

2,014 posts, read 2,708,600 times
bhandhh, the fact that you are asking if piano playing in a townhome might be a problem means you are a considerate person and would probably make a great neighbor. You should be fine.

I would be happy to have piano music be the only thing I hear from our neighbors.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM

11 posts, read 40,800 times
Thanks everyone for your input. We currently live in a very small house w/ a toddler and my husband's basically been playing on mute for the last two years. We're trying to avoid that for the next four years and maybe we should even try and talk to neighbors before we would move in.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM

5,333 posts, read 6,137,473 times
Pianos can be quite loud, so it depends on what your husband plays. A lot of classical piano music is vigorous and not placid, soothing pieces.

So does he just "tickle the ivories", play some jazz standards, or really get down to business with serious concert pieces with a wide dynamic range?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia