U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 05:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 26,837,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
For people who have been victims of crimes, this is really not appreciated.

It's irresponsible and inconsiderate.
Sooooo.... if you're a victim of a crime, you're going to appreciate it when a community that has a low crime rate is portrayed as being much more dangerous than it is?

Last edited by Caladium; 02-25-2011 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Sometimes, less is more. We can discuss crime stats later if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 08:03 PM

104 posts, read 183,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
...There is some Section 8 housing near Glade...
I stand corrected, there is a 240 unit housing complex owned by the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority near Glade and Millrace Lane.

BTW, this is a link to the Google street view for the dreaded Dogwood (looks kinda pretty with the azaleas)-

20191 - Google Maps

Old 02-25-2011, 09:18 PM

2,879 posts, read 6,821,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
The county website lists them as privately owned garden apartments (200 units). Even the apartments should improve with metro access.
Your apology will be accepted, once you make one.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,782,683 times
Quote:
For people who have been victims of crimes, this is really not appreciated.

It's irresponsible and inconsiderate.
Not all crime victims feel that way. Some of you may recall I posted a few months ago about being mugged in DC near the Eastern Market, so I feel I can speak as a crime victim.

FWIW, I did appreciate Caladium's comments. It's good to hear a variety of opinions. I don't feel her post was irresponsible or inconsiderate. For one thing, she told the OP to look at the police report, for which a link was provided. That seems very responsible and considerate.

I take it you didn't appreciate her comment about the church graffitti. I remember when that happened, so I'm not offended by a true story. If I was writing the post I might have noted that more serious crimes have happened from time to time (in addition to lightweight incidents), even though it's a low crime area and lightweight incidents are much more predominant. But that's a minor quibble, and I'm certainly not offended by someone stating her opinion. The bottom line is that Reston has incidents like any town, but is a low crime area. I think she conveyed that, even if her picture was a little rosier than the one I would have painted. For the record, I like Reston. I enjoy taking long walks there and feel fine going there at night, as well as during the day. I used to live there and would feel perfectly safe living there today.

To be honest, the one thing I do find a little offensive is having someone appoint herself spokesperson for how crime victims feel. I appreciate your good intentions, but you don't know how I feel, what I think, or what I may or may not find offensive.

Last edited by normie; 02-26-2011 at 01:02 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 05:26 AM

1,449 posts, read 2,802,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restoner View Post
I stand corrected, there is a 240 unit housing complex owned by the Fairfax County Redevelopment and Housing Authority near Glade and Millrace Lane.

BTW, this is a link to the Google street view for the dreaded Dogwood (looks kinda pretty with the azaleas)-

20191 - Google Maps
I drove through there yesterday because I am trying to scout some possible neighborhoods for next year. It is a nice looking school and MOST of the area surrounding it is nice. There ARE some less attractive TH and condo/apartment complexes a bit further down the road (I assume these are the complexes owned by the county), but I was certainly not worried about them as I drove through during the day.

Dogwood is a fairly new building as I believe I read these was a fire at some point and they had to rebuild? I thought it was nicer than some of the other school buildings I have driven by recently.

The one thing the neighborhood was lacking was sidewalks(there were a few but not on all streets)...and I THINK street lights, but it was daytime so I couldn't be certain.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:38 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,701,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
FWIW, I did appreciate Caladium's comments. It's good to hear a variety of opinions. I don't feel her post was irresponsible or inconsiderate. For one thing, she told the OP to look at the police report, for which a link was provided. That seems very responsible and considerate.

I take it you didn't appreciate her comment about the church graffitti. I remember when that happened, so I'm not offended by a true story.

To be honest, the one thing I do find a little offensive is having someone appoint herself spokesperson for how crime victims feel. I appreciate your good intentions, but you don't know how I feel, what I think, or what I may or may not find offensive.
Wrong in your assessment, normie. Church graffiti was not why I posted. It was the tacky attempt to make light of earlier information about assaults that was in extremely poor taste.

The "self-appointed spokesperson" comment is simply a passive-aggressive attack on me. Hope you recover kindness soon.

Since I cannot edit my earlier post, I'll re-state: For SOME crime victims, the post making light of crime may not be appreciated. That way I'm not trying to come off as some self-appointed spokesperson for all crime victims.

Last edited by Fern435; 02-26-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 07:18 AM

23,571 posts, read 33,297,972 times
Quote:
Wrong in your assessment, normie. Church graffiti was not why I posted. It was the tacky attempt to make light of earlier information about assaults that was in extremely poor taste.

The "self-appointed spokesperson" comment is simply a passive-aggressive attack on me. Hope you recover kindness soon.

Since I cannot edit my earlier post, I'll re-state: For SOME crime victims, the post making light of crime may not be appreciated. That way I'm not trying to come off as some self-appointed spokesperson for all crime victims.
Thank you Fern. As someone who was a victim of a burglary as a child back in Southern VA, I found Caladium's comment a little offensive.

As far as the OP goes, does Reston have a "bad" part? West Baltimore, Southeast DC, or New Orleans bad, no. A little higher in crime stats than some comparable areas closeby, as some mentioned on here, yes.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:59 AM

104 posts, read 183,459 times
Apologies all around for not checking the ownership of this property (ski chalet, anyone?)-

20191 - Google Maps

I go by this every day and never would have guessed that it’s county owned. It’s easy to check out who owns what in Fairfax County-

Fairfax County

Also, the Fairfax County Police incident mapping application is a good way to compare north Reston with south Reston as well as other parts of the county (why does it run so slow!)-

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/gisapps...ce.aspx#police

Would be great if this information was available for the whole DC metro area. Might help to put it all in perspective.

p.s., There’s no parole in Virginia. If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime!

Old 02-26-2011, 02:22 PM

Sounds like it's time to look at the crime stats.

Here's a comparison of crime in Reston, Alexandria, DC, and the National Average. BTW, to counter the argument that DC is so much bigger (and thus would have more crime) I've compared a zip code range instead of the cities as a whole. I chose the zip code for the section of Reston that had the most crime (20191, which includes Glade since that seems to be an area of interest). I picked random zip codes for Alexandria and DC since I don't know those areas as well--but anyone who wants to run a similar comparison to other zips can use the link below.

In the comparison below, the first set of numbers are for 20191 (Reston), the second set for 22309 (Alexandria) , the third set for 20020 (DC) and the fourth set is the national average.

Personal Crime Risk 14 26 226 100
Murder Risk 26 29 468 100
Rape Risk 22 38 80 100
Robbery Risk 16 42 303 100
Assault Risk 07 23 186 100
Property Crime Risk 27 75 92 100
Burglary Risk 13 41 50 100
Larceny Risk 19 100 92 100
Motor Vehicle Theft Risk 39 53 220 100
Total Crime Risk 22 52 114 100

See the complete comparison here:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Home page so you can do your own comparisons[/quote]

According to the next site, your chance of being invoved in any crime in Reston is 1 in 506. Wow, how scary.
Reston Community Info - crime statistics, demographics, and census data - Trulia.com
More stats: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is against the tos

So let's see... the national average for assault is at 100, and Reston is at 07 (compared to DC at 186--now that's a city that actually has a crime problem). And you wonder why I laugh at this idea that Reston is a dangerous community? I laugh because I look at these stats and IMO, it is laughable. Which is not to say that crime doesn't happen. This is the real world and crime hapens everywhere. But c'mon... this attempt to portray Reston as a dangerous place is ridiculous. In my opinion.

I'm sorry if you don't think I have a right to my opinion, but I do. Claiming "some crime victims" won't like my posts is an attempt at bullying. So I guess the idea is we must all pretend Reston is dangerous or risk offending crime victims? Sad, and what a bunch of baloney. Meanwhile, I'm going to continue truthfully stating what I think.

Yes, crime happens in Reston, as it happens in any community in America. No community has a crime rate of 0 per 1,000 residents. However, as these stats show Reston is a low crime area, and the crime you're most likely to encounter is petty crime. Any attempt to paint it as a scary crime ridden place is silly. You may not like my graffiti crime example as being "too lighthearted" but the truth is you're more likely to encounter crimes like graffiti than a serious violent crime. If you think it's tacky to note that--too bad. It's the truth.

Last edited by Yac; 05-23-2012 at 06:44 AM..

Old 02-26-2011, 05:11 PM

... but you know what, just for the sake of getting back on topic, it's ok by me if Tone wants to remove my paragraph that's supposedly "too lighthearted" and all this outrage that's followed. Oh no, I dared to laugh at an accusation I truly think was ridiculous. But what the heck, it's taken us off topic and my post is just as good without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or