Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,841,837 times

Advertisements

George Mason Given Land for Campus in Ashburn | Loudoun Independent

The new campus will be along the Dulles Greenway near the planned Metro station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,289,206 times
So exciting! I think that will be a better location for the school than the old Greenvest plans.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 PM

413 posts, read 1,161,540 times
GMU is taking over NOVA! It's definitely going to be a top institution in a decade or so.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,285,481 times
hmmm...wonder what impact that will have on real estate, if any. I would imagine new jobs being created so more people moving to the area?

Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
hmmm...wonder what impact that will have on real estate, if any. I would imagine new jobs being created so more people moving to the area?
I think it will make Loudoun more attractive to people in their young 20s. And families moving here with soon-to-be college kids who plan to live at home. I like the idea of going to concerts, art exhibits, lectures, etc. at the campus.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:21 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,285,481 times
yeah..I lived in State College for a bit and it is lovely. BUT I live just one or two miles from this land where they are thinking of building and I am not so sure I want a bunch of college kids running around...It was fine when I was a single person, it was even fine when we had no kids. But having little kids...I just don't know if I want that type of environment for my kids. There are not many bars around here so that leads me to believe there would be a lot of house parties and thus a lot of noise and such. If this does happen I think we will have to think long and hard if we want to stay here. On the upside, as you mentioned, there will be concerts and such which I do like. I just wonder how this will affect resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
I think it will make Loudoun more attractive to people in their young 20s. And families moving here with soon-to-be college kids who plan to live at home. I like the idea of going to concerts, art exhibits, lectures, etc. at the campus.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
yeah..I lived in State College for a bit and it is lovely. BUT I live just one or two miles from this land where they are thinking of building and I am not so sure I want a bunch of college kids running around...It was fine when I was a single person, it was even fine when we had no kids. But having little kids...I just don't know if I want that type of environment for my kids. There are not many bars around here so that leads me to believe there would be a lot of house parties and thus a lot of noise and such. If this does happen I think we will have to think long and hard if we want to stay here. On the upside, as you mentioned, there will be concerts and such which I do like. I just wonder how this will affect resale.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I never thought of GMU as much of a party school. But I could see the possibility of heavy traffic on game nights (if they're played at the Ashburn campus, that is).

Old 12-15-2009, 03:30 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,342,412 times
GMU is usually thought of as a commuter school. I wouldn't worry about house parties and such. Most of the students will still be living with their parents.

I don't think this has been a problem around the Fairfax campus.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:57 PM

190 posts, read 682,298 times
They're doing this now? Man, I could have used a campus in Ashburn this semester, since I am simply burnt out doing the 25+ mile commute each way to and from Fairfax, on top of my commute to work (I'm sitting on campus right now - finals week). That's right in front of my house, but I'll be finished and long gone from VA by the time that all of that stuff gets here. But seriously, I think that's awesome, because the Loudoun campus that they have now simply isn't going to cut it much longer if they need to expand.
Surprisingly, most of the students that I know here don't live with their parents, and GMU is changing their focus (at least on the Fairfax campus) to less of a commuter school, and more of a residential one. By the time that GMU's plans with the land are fully realized, it will be more like a Fairfax arrangement, where there are more than enough offerings near the campus for the students to patronize. And the Metro is a bonus. But they are going to have to develop a real road network in Ashburn before they put up another building, or this place will be simply miserable to get around. My biggest problem right now is not so much the drive to Fairfax, but the traffic jams to get on and off of campus. Add the metro station, a few more apartment complexes, some more retail and then a SCHOOL, and you have a recipe for disaster with the current configuration.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:09 PM

26,122 posts, read 48,737,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
George Mason Given Land for Campus in Ashburn | Loudoun Independent

The new campus will be along the Dulles Greenway near the planned Metro station.
Hey Normie, howya doin!

Good to hear this, both the new campus AND the eventual Metro station.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia