Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 AM

2 posts, read 6,001 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Lake of the Woods since August 22 1986 almost 22 years. Yes it has it's issues the dam. But what a great place to raise a family. Try getting what we have here up in Northern Virginia or even Spotsy. Yes we pay extra for the pools but it's minimal one time cost for the season. Not monthly or even weekly. Great swim team!!! Ski Club also a great thing for the kids. Clubhouse with great reasonably priced food with great views.And you don't have to pay yearly or monhly dues to eat there. Unlike say Fawn Lake. We have 2 pools numerous beaches,parks campground golf course,teen center skate park. It's like being on vacation. Show me a community that doesn't have issues and show me one with our prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,277 times
<<<BUMP>>>

I wanted to bump this thread and see if there are any more up to date opinions on low (especially from those with children). My husband would be commuting to Woodbridge & NOVA traffic is not something new to either of us.
We have 2 small children and and are interested to hear about the local and surrounding school systems. I'd also like to know if other areas other than LOW are recommended. We are looking for descent priced homes and a sense of community.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:21 PM

743 posts, read 3,900,859 times
Commuting to Woodbridge from LOW??? You'd be looking at an hour's drive each way WITHOUT traffic. Unless you leave work before 3:30 pm (2:30 pm on Fridays in the summer), then you'd be looking at a 2 hour drive home at least...(even without an accident), some days maybe 3 or 4 hours, if there IS an accident.

If you're fine with the drive, then LOW might work for you. You can also look into the two lake communities in Caroline (Lake Caroline and Lake Land'Or), or Presidential Lakes in King George.

If you're looking for good schools though, you might want to stick to Spotsylvania County. It would also shave off 15 minutes or so from your commute each way, which would be 2.5 hours per week of extra time home, instead of in the car.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:06 PM

515 posts, read 1,692,411 times
I believe LOW is one of 12 communities in the midst of a war over a proposed increase in water and sewer rates. I am not sure how LOW would be affected by the proposal, but am aware that the private water company that serves these communities seeks permission to raise rates on the order of 40% for water and 70% for sewer at one of the other locations. My husband and I ruled it out Lake Monticello when we figured out that if the increase is granted our monthly water bill there would be $150 month. We pay $30 in Fairfax County.

Granted there are cost savings at a place like LOW; real estate and taxes are much lower. But do look into utility bills before you sign anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia