Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM

885 posts, read 1,553,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Most of these extremely large churches offer multiple smaller services. The appeal of a large congregation is that it can offer all kinds of extras that smaller churches can't--classes, counseling, training, individualized services, etc.

My church qualifies as a "mega church" (2000+ attendees each week), but that's broken into 7+ separate services. There are traditional services, contemporary services, spanish language services, a college service, and a young adult service. Then there are small groups on top of that to get to know people even more. I've never felt overwhelmed because "my" little piece of the mega church is actually really cozy and tightly knit, especially for such a transient area.
What church do you go to? I am so there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:30 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,568 times
Okay, my mistake then. Thanks for clarifying.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:46 AM

165 posts, read 530,590 times
[quote=CaliTerp07;18115533]Most of these extremely large churches offer multiple smaller services. The appeal of a large congregation is that it can offer all kinds of extras that smaller churches can't--classes, counseling, training, individualized services, etc.

A megachurch near me, has support groups for
- cancer patients
- families of the military deployed overseas
- children of divorces
- bereaved spouses/ children

Old 03-03-2011, 10:07 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I used to belong to a huge church that had a dating service. It was amateurish, but lots of couples hooked up through it. If you wanted to participate, you filled in a questionnaire that had about 50 questions, and then the volunteers who ran it would try to match you up with a few people who had similar answers. I went on a few dates through them, and even though none of them worked out it was nice to meet guys who went to my church. Similar religious interests are a good thing to have in common.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:25 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You should try Catholicism. It's kind of like the Olive Garden. No matter where you go, you're family!
Well, we are talking about several centuries of being a religion to fall back on . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Most of these extremely large churches offer multiple smaller services. The appeal of a large congregation is that it can offer all kinds of extras that smaller churches can't--classes, counseling, training, individualized services, etc.
Good point - churches these days reach out to the social aspects of a community, perhaps just as much or more than the spiritual side.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,587 times
What demonination(s) are these mega churches? Or are they non-denominational? I've always considered non-denominational churches to tend sort of fundamentalist (oh, like the 'Assembly of God' or lots of the other, smaller charismatic denominations, if you will, that you'll find in the South) - in fact, sometimes the terms 'non-denominational' and 'fundamentalist' are used interchangeably. However, I'm positive that many of these mega churches are *not* 'fundamentalist' in the sense in which that term is usually used - my brother attended one briefly in North Carolina (mostly to meet a potential date, I suspect.. hehehe), and he said there was a lot of Christian rock/R&B and socializing.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:48 PM

Location: Standing outside of heaven, wating for God to come and get me.
1,382 posts, read 3,716,306 times
Well, I am a member of Alfred Street and I love it. I am also a transplant via Mississippi. I will be frank and honest, I like my churches "black" not saying that I want an all black congregation. I just tend to favor certain traditions (traditions are not necessary for salvation, I know that before anyone says that) that are traditionally found in AA churches.

I grew up in a very Conservative Southern Baptist Church and I was looking for a church in the area that was still a bit traditional but young people friendly and had a younger pastor. Alfred Street was a good fit for me because everyone welcomed me in, they were doing some dynamic things in the community and there were a lot of Southern transplants.

I welcome anyone to come visit.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM

388 posts, read 790,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
What demonination(s) are these mega churches? Or are they non-denominational? I've always considered non-denominational churches to tend sort of fundamentalist (oh, like the 'Assembly of God' or lots of the other, smaller charismatic denominations, if you will, that you'll find in the South) - in fact, sometimes the terms 'non-denominational' and 'fundamentalist' are used interchangeably. However, I'm positive that many of these mega churches are *not* 'fundamentalist' in the sense in which that term is usually used - my brother attended one briefly in North Carolina (mostly to meet a potential date, I suspect.. hehehe), and he said there was a lot of Christian rock/R&B and socializing.
It is my understanding that most of the mega churches tend to be a lot more conservative/fundamentalist. I think non-denominational is another way of saying "born again christian," without scaring people away.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:58 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Take this with a grain of salt since I'm Jewish and don't go to church. But I believe McLean Bible is a mega-church.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
The church that had the dating service was a catholic church. It was a fairly liberal church, as much as that's possible within the catholic religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia