Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 03:45 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,062,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
JEB77, my comment about test scores is more in response to another poster who religiously cites average SAT scores for schools as proof of their school pyramid's desirability. I don't think that average test scores, on their own, can convey the quality of education available in a particular school. An elementary school may have some terrific teachers but lower average standardized test scores. That does not mean that a student cannot get a wonderful education there. Much of it depends upon the teacher and the attitude and aptitude of the student. My student had a horrible teacher at a highly sought after FCPS elementary school. High scores don't always mean your student will get a great teacher.

Regarding the commute: Driving to the Pentagon from any area is tough if you aren't guaranteed a parking pass. If you do obtain one, you forfeit the subsidized mass transit money that can be used for Metro, bus, or VRE. For many people, it's simpler, faster, and cheaper to use the bus/slug/Metro to get to work. My husband's commute from Springfield to the Pentagon via bus is faster than it was for him when we lived in Mount Vernon.

The OP inquired about McLean vs. Burke/West Springfield, so recommending other areas might be considered off-topic. After reading the OP's comments on the Colorado and Nebraska forums, McLean seems like a good match for her.
Here's a thought: maybe when posters say they are only interested in "top-notch" schools, we should take a collective vow and just say most of the schools here are "notch."

When I was growing up in this area, it definitely seemed like military families were more evenly distributed throughout the county, which I viewed as a good thing. It seems that, with the growth in the area's population, commuting woes, and larger disparities in housing prices in different parts of the county, Burke/West Springfield is usually at the top of people's tongues when posters now ask for the "good schools/decent commute to Pentagon/won't bust the bank" combo w/fries and a large drink. I do see, however, there's a reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:18 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,392,788 times
In a similar way, it's why McLean is recommended for executives and diplomats' families. Close proximity to DC, schools that have had experience with people from other countries, and a built-in level of understanding among neighbors. With the many changes in their lives, it's probably a relief to not have to be explaining everything as the new international family. A few weeks ago, when we were in McLean, it felt so comfortable and reassuring to drive around an attractive neighborhood. Appealing home designs that are properly maintained and landscaped made me glad we made the trip!

No problem with people spending their money differently than I do. It's just not right to view people who have less or choose to spend less as being worthless (or worth less ).

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,884,166 times
Quote:
Here's a thought: maybe when posters say they are only interested in "top-notch" schools, we should take a collective vow and just say most of the schools here are "notch."
Exactly. Honestly, compared to the rest of the country, most of the schools in Fairfax are outstanding. There are test score differences between Lake Braddock and McLean, for example. But no one in his right mind would suggest that Lake Braddock is anything other than an excellent school. You could say the same if you compared Robinson to Woodson. Woodson may be ranked higher, but Robinson is a very, very good school.

With very few exceptions, Fairfax Schools are outstanding. Even the schools that aren't considered the best in Fairfax are better than most of the schools you'll find in other parts of the country. We moved from the area last year. My kids are in the best school system in our new state. But even the top schools here don't compare to the average school in Fairfax.

There are lots of things I don't miss about living in NoVA. But the schools truly are just amazing.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:21 PM

8,821 posts, read 15,272,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post

With very few exceptions, Fairfax Schools are outstanding.

pomme sauvage, there's your cue! ^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia