Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:44 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,129,798 times

Advertisements

The job market here in NOVA is much better than FL. You already stated the stats, just be aware that there is also a lot of competition for those jobs. Many people are in the same place as you and are moving to NOVA for the same reasons. Like others have stated, it's best to have a job prior to moving here because the COL is so high. Also you'll want to live near where you work or near public transportation because the traffic here is pretty bad (not an understatement). I personally know of a few people who have moved here from FL for work and they have not regretted. They do miss the closeness to the water and the weather though.

Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 05:45 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,845 times
You might try your luck in Leesburg, Winchester, Charlottesville, or Fredericksburg. Lower cost of living than "inner" Northern VA but still with a functioning economy.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 PM

389 posts, read 1,229,936 times
We moved from FL. Do you have a lot of family there? Does your wife have family here? Is that important to you? The biggest negative about being here is the distance to visit all of our family in FL. There are many things we like about being in NOVA. However, I'm very interested in moving to Atlanta to be in a good big city and be closer to our family. I like the weather here. The snow doesn't bother me at all. It is the gray days and the lack of sunshine that is the hardest for me. I highly suggest getting gas heat, too. Floridians like feeling warm!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM

31 posts, read 55,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLgirl367 View Post
We moved from FL. Do you have a lot of family there? Does your wife have family here? Is that important to you? The biggest negative about being here is the distance to visit all of our family in FL. There are many things we like about being in NOVA. However, I'm very interested in moving to Atlanta to be in a good big city and be closer to our family. I like the weather here. The snow doesn't bother me at all. It is the gray days and the lack of sunshine that is the hardest for me. I highly suggest getting gas heat, too. Floridians like feeling warm!
Thanks for your input. Quick question, if you didnt have a family here in florida, do you think u made a wise decision moving to VA overall? see my concern is having more job opportunities but then again houses prices are like 300k over there and same over here right now like 170k

Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,628 times
Please don't forget that we have state income tax. That could be about a 10% drop in pay (very roughly). Please take that into consideration.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:47 AM

389 posts, read 1,229,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT00 View Post
Thanks for your input. Quick question, if you didnt have a family here in florida, do you think u made a wise decision moving to VA overall? see my concern is having more job opportunities but then again houses prices are like 300k over there and same over here right now like 170k
Yes. It is all relative. You make more money here, but pay more for housing and taxes. Home insurance is much less though. However, if you are looking at no job in FL, it is better to be somewhere else with a job. This area has a lot to offer. DC has so much to do. There are great weekend getaways (Lancaster, PA, NYC...)

Old 03-09-2011, 08:51 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,379 times
Well that may be true but we have lower fuel costs and sales tax than florida.. Unfortunately you have to pay property tax on your vehicle and not sure how that goes in FL..It has been long time since i lived there...GA has a "ad Valorem" tax for that.
Anyway have job lined up before you come.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM

388 posts, read 790,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT00 View Post
House prices is a fact that here it's real cheap 150k for a nice home, but that's when you have a stable job. I live in orlando but it's actually boring for me maybe living for too long. I know soo many college grads just working odd jobs or don't have a job. But I think northern va is way better in look and for fun stuff.
Different strokes for different folks I guess. We can trade places because I want out of here. Central FL has sooo much more to offer and you won't sit in hours of traffic to get there. It all depends on what your idea of fun is. I've been to the museums here countless times, wineries, parks, etc, and I was over most of it real quick. The nightlife here is pathetic. If you're miserable in Orlando and without a job, maybe NOVA is for you. It's just not for me.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
PP lives in Loudoun, I believe. It's part of NoVa, but has a different vibe that, for example, inside-the-Beltway Fairfax, Arlington or Alexandria.

A lot of people love Loudoun and Western Fairfax, but it doesn't seem to work for a certain cohort of folks, typically in their 20s or 30s. People who want the equivalent of a college town or a tourist town with lots of bars and music clubs may find places like Ashburn or Centreville lacking. Most people in NoVa actually breathed a collective sigh of relief when Disney decided NOT to put a theme park in the area. People who live closer to DC may find it easier to travel to places such as the Birchmere in Alexandria or bar/clubs in DC itself.

Conversely, those who have different priorities - good employment opportunities, good schools, generally clean and safe neighborhoods, the opportunity to experience all four seasons - and can tolerate the region's heavy traffic are more likely to be happy here.

If you're able to map out your priorities and assess whether NoVa will accommodate them before you move here, the better off you'll be.

Last edited by JD984; 03-09-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM

93 posts, read 273,579 times
Default FL to VA 2 Yrs and Counting

I did the same thing you did. I already had a good job waiting for me, but I can definitely comment on the following; 1. Cost of Living = Very high here compared to FL. There is a trade off, Your house insurance is nominal compared to FL windstorm. The VA state Income Tax is about 5 -6 % so it equals when compared to the FL Insurance. 2. SUNSHINE = this is the unknown value. You will have to buy winter clothes, you will be wearing them for 5 months af the year. You will be paying for heating and going to the beach is not cheap, nor is it a short drive away. Cars do not respond as well to changing climates, FL climate is better for the long term sustainabilty of cars. 3. INFLUENCE OF THE CAPITAL = There is alot to do here. There was alot to do in FL, but that was minor league. Most of the museums are free, NYC is a 4 hour drive, plenty of universities to choose from and I feel much safer here than in FL. The crime here is miniscule compared to Orange, Lake, Seminole and Volusia counties. 4. TRAFFIC = Northern VA is the Super Bowl Champion, Orlando is North Dakota State football champions. Yes the difference is that big. In retail terms, NOVA is Wal Mart, FL is the Flea Market in terms of Highway and vehicle Traffic.

If there is one way to sum up my take, here it is; The Quality of Life in NOVA is very good, but you pay for everything you get.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia