Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 01:03 PM

230 posts, read 1,211,648 times

Advertisements

No tjbwc, I don't think you're jaded. Teachers salaries in this area progress very slowly it seems, even when compared to the federal government, let alone the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,776,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don't think anybody feels badly about what the OP is going to make and I hope that my earlier comment didn't come across that way. If it did I apologize. I say "Good for you!" Just to clarify, and at the risk of stepping up on my soap box and turning this political, it just surprises me that the original question gets answers such as, "You'll be fine as long as you don't have many large expenses" or "even $75k won't get you too far" when at the same time, as a teacher in my 18th year with a family, I am constantly being reminded about how I'm making too much. Maybe I've become a bit jaded. (Steps down from soap box.)
Good luck lowkey!
Oh, I was just responding to his comment that the OP thought he made others feel badly.

Teachers don't get paid enough IMO. I am not a teacher, but my sister-in-law is. Poor woman is always working (grading and planning into the evening hours and on weekends OR taking continuing ed courses to keep up on the latest things). Even her "summer break" isn't really free (more school, lesson planning, painting the classroom, etc) and she can't take a vacation whenever she wants. And she makes less than I do! It's a good thing she loves it though.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 PM

885 posts, read 1,544,575 times
Quote:
I as a teacher in my 18th year with a family, I am constantly being reminded about how I'm making too much. Maybe I've become a bit jaded. (Steps down from soap box.)
Good luck lowkey!
How much do teachers make in NoVA?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Even her "summer break" isn't really free (more school, lesson planning, painting the classroom, etc) and she can't take a vacation whenever she wants. And she makes less than I do! It's a good thing she loves it though.
How much does she make?

Is she a painter? Why is she doing the hard labor painting the room?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:21 PM

388 posts, read 787,391 times
Quote:
I don't think anybody feels badly about what the OP is going to make and I hope that my earlier comment didn't come across that way. If it did I apologize. I say "Good for you!" Just to clarify, and at the risk of stepping up on my soap box and turning this political, it just surprises me that the original question gets answers such as, "You'll be fine as long as you don't have many large expenses" or "even $75k won't get you too far" when at the same time, as a teacher in my 18th year with a family, I am constantly being reminded about how I'm making too much. Maybe I've become a bit jaded. (Steps down from soap box.)
Good luck lowkey!
My wife's a teacher, so believe me I have empathy. My point is that $75k is a lot of money somewhere else, but not here. Especially if you plan on buying a SFH or renting closer to DC.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
How much do teachers make in NoVA?
My wife is an 8th year teacher making $45k. Some people would lead you to believe that they make a fortune, have a an easy job, and have 3 months off during the summer.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:29 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,776,171 times
Quote:
How much does she make?

Is she a painter? Why is she doing the hard labor painting the room?
She's not a painter, but she has to prep her classroom two weeks before school starts, decorate it, etc. She doesn't do the painting every year, but last year she painted the walls because they needed to be painted and there was no money in the budget to do so. She also bought a rug for the reading area so the kids had something to sit on other than the cold, hard floor.

She doesn't work in NoVa though--I should make that clear.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
My wife is an 8th year teacher making $45k. Some people would lead you to believe that they make a fortune, have a an easy job, and have 3 months off during the summer.
How long has she been teaching?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
How long has she been teaching?
check my post. 8 years.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Idealism View Post
check my post. 8 years.
I thought you meant 8th grade.

What subject or grade is she teaching?

She does get 3 months vacation or extra pay if she works, doesn't she?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia