U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 PM

14 posts, read 20,829 times

Advertisements

Just wondering, as we will be relocating to the D.C. area from NJ in a few months. Unfortunately my husband's job in Silver Spring is not near a Metro or MARC line, so he will have to drive.
We like NoVA quite a bit and were wondering what the commute would be like via car. (We are also looking for suggestions for safe areas/good schools). Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:44 AM

273 posts, read 287,237 times
I live one mile from Vienna metro and I work in Rockville (20 mile commute each way). To avoid major traffic, I leave home at 5:30am and it takes about 25 - 30 minutes. Coming home at 5pm, it takes me about 45min - 1 hour. I suggest that your husband try to work early hours...the earlier the better as far as traffic goes.

As for where to live, I would definitely take Vienna before Reston if your husband works in Silver Spring. If you can afford it, I'd look at McLean as it's very nice with excellent schools and would offer you the shortest commute (while still living in VA). It's expensive though.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:52 AM

186 posts, read 274,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FsMom View Post
Just wondering, as we will be relocating to the D.C. area from NJ in a few months. Unfortunately my husband's job in Silver Spring is not near a Metro or MARC line, so he will have to drive.
We like NoVA quite a bit and were wondering what the commute would be like via car. (We are also looking for suggestions for safe areas/good schools). Thanks in advance!!
It has alot to do with the time of day, I commuted from Vienna, the Tysons side to Silver Spring for a number of years, I left early in the morning ( 5:30 AM ) and never had any problem getting there in about 25 minutes again depending on how far you are going off the beltway.
The afternoon from Silver Spring again depends of the time. I left around 3PM and again had no real traffic issues. If you are going during the heavy rush hours you should probably add 20-25 minutes.

I have heard a rule of thumb for this area check the travel time on mapquest and triple it. If you can live with that your prepared for the worst if it turns out to be less thats a bonus.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:47 AM

1,422 posts, read 1,567,129 times
I understand you like NoVA. But in this case, I would strongly consider living in MD. Commutes like this are soul sucking. My husband used to leave the house at 6 am to avoid horrid traffic, and it was miserable for everyone. I have family in Montgomery County - Rockville and Silver Spring area. There are lots of nice areas of Suburban MD.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 AM

4,539 posts, read 5,237,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I understand you like NoVA. But in this case, I would strongly consider living in MD. Commutes like this are soul sucking. My husband used to leave the house at 6 am to avoid horrid traffic, and it was miserable for everyone. I have family in Montgomery County - Rockville and Silver Spring area. There are lots of nice areas of Suburban MD.
I agree with this. Commuting in this area is not like living in NJ, where so many people drive to a commuter lot, and take a train to the city. One way or the other, it usually involves cars here - and sitting in traffic - unless one travels at off-peak hours.

If you were considering Vienna and Reston, I might start off by looking at the areas that are often described as "North Potomac" and "North Bethesda," as well as Rockville, Bethesda and parts of Gaithersburg. Olney is another option.

Last edited by JEB77; 03-11-2011 at 11:43 AM..

Old 03-11-2011, 12:06 PM

I was fine with long commutes before, as long as I could take a bus and/or metro and didn't have to sit in my car. There really are NO good ways from VA to that part of MD. The metro takes you through the city and on several different trains. Cars involve hours of wasted time sitting in traffic. I say live as close to work as possible.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:10 PM

5,179 posts, read 3,530,316 times
Assuming you have no family or friends in Northern Virginia, I advise that you should look to Maryland for residence. There's just no good reason to put yourself through the pain of such a commute. Maryland has good schools and neighborhoods, too.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:56 PM

1,163 posts, read 943,356 times
Where in Silver Spring? If your husband is in downtown Silver Spring then that commute could be a bit much, but since you said he's not near metro I'm thinking probably not. I live in Falls Church and commute to the northern part of Silver Spring, north of the beltway up 29. Going north on 29 from the beltway as opposed to south towards downtown saves alot of heartache. If that's the case then it won't be nearly as bad as some posters are making it out to be as long as you choose a part of Vienna with easy access to the beltway. My commute is 45-1hr in the evening and 15-20 minutes less in the morning. Of course there are those days when the beltway is a mess and it can take 1.5 hours, but that doesn't happen often. And the beltway traffic can only improve as they finish the hot lanes and dulles metro construction projects. I guess it really depends on what your commute tolerance is. I've grown up here so I see an hour as normal, but when people come to this area expecting a really easy commute they are in for a rude awakening.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Where in Silver Spring? If your husband is in downtown Silver Spring then that commute could be a bit much, but since you said he's not near metro I'm thinking probably not. I live in Falls Church and commute to the northern part of Silver Spring, north of the beltway up 29. Going north on 29 from the beltway as opposed to south towards downtown saves alot of heartache. If that's the case then it won't be nearly as bad as some posters are making it out to be as long as you choose a part of Vienna with easy access to the beltway. My commute is 45-1hr in the evening and 15-20 minutes less in the morning. Of course there are those days when the beltway is a mess and it can take 1.5 hours, but that doesn't happen often. And the beltway traffic can only improve as they finish the hot lanes and dulles metro construction projects. I guess it really depends on what your commute tolerance is. I've grown up here so I see an hour as normal, but when people come to this area expecting a really easy commute they are in for a rude awakening.
and your hours for this commute?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:22 PM

1,163 posts, read 943,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
and your hours for this commute?
Regular rush hour times. Leave work at 5-5:30 in evening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia