U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:39 AM

4,478 posts, read 4,983,545 times
I just learned that Del Ray was its own town - the Town of Potomac - from 1908 to 1930, whereupon it was annexed by Alexandria.

Perhaps we should thank Alexandria for sparing us from having to ask if someone means Potomac, VA ("you know, the unique one with the banners") or Potomac, MD ("you know, the suburban one in Montgomery County")!

Plus, if it stayed its own town, it would probably have its own police department, and then Mount Vernon Avenue would be a speed trap for the local police department, just like Maple Avenue in Vienna.

As to safety, the heart of Del Ray seems quite safe to me, though the area right around and north of the Birchmere does seem a bit sketchy at night.

Last edited by JEB77; 03-12-2011 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM

50 posts, read 73,575 times
This area is very safe for an urban area. As Robbobbo said, more Rosemont than Del Ray. I lived in this area for several years and had no concern walking to shops in Del Ray, grocery store on Monroe, etc. Depending on where you end up, I wouldn't necessarily recommend using the path that runs along the Metro by GW field at night. It's better lit now, but I always felt much safer sticking to the main sidewalks. Also, you'll be perfectly safe rolling/strolling tots into Old Town to enjoy the nice waterfront parks (1-2 mi walk) -- such a great amenity -- during the day but you might not want to make this walk late at night (somehow, I don't think that will be too much of an issue, though). [that area is rapidly improving but not quite as safe as other parts of Old Town or Rosemont/Del Ray]

Last edited by geniegrl; 03-12-2011 at 09:49 AM..

Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,282,726 times
Arlandria is not the only risk to consider with Del Ray. In Del Ray itself, particularly closer to Route 1--which agents consistently told us to stay away from and get closer to Mt. Vernon Av.--if you walk around those areas and see the mix of properties' condition, etc., I think you will see why they have those opinions. Further, as the excellent and very fair article Carlingtonian linked points out--which identified a lot of strengths of the area as well--within Del Ray proper (not Arlandria), there is a history of transitioning that has nothing to do with Arlandria.

People tend to base their subjective assessments of "safe" based on whether they personally have experienced any break-ins or assaults, rather than on statistics based on all people's experience in a given area. The problem with getting 4 or 5 people's opinions, obviously, is that you have a biased sample. And, if a person who gives you a blanket "safe" assessment experiences a burglary or car break in the next day, all of a sudden that person may give you a "not safe" assessment. Men also often use a different definition than do many women (and parents), for personal safety reasons.

That's why several of us have strongly suggested that you check out the crime reports for yourself and apply your own standards, and that you visit and walk around the neighborhood at various times of the day and night, before coming to your own decision.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:14 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,282,726 times
Here's another site that might interest the OP:

Crime Report: Burglary on East Uhler - Del Ray, VA Patch

Old 03-12-2011, 08:42 PM

21 posts, read 20,538 times
Yes its safe, grew up all over NOVA and especially all over the city of Alexandria. Sure it might have some "gritter" hoods around it chirilagua, etc (not hear to discuss if that is part of del rey) but its safe. Use common sense and you will be safe 99.9% of the time in NOVA

Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,890,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAsMexican View Post
Yes its safe, grew up all over NOVA and especially all over the city of Alexandria. Sure it might have some "gritter" hoods around it chirilagua, etc (not hear to discuss if that is part of del rey) but its safe. Use common sense and you will be safe 99.9% of the time in NOVA
For those who don't know, Chirilagua = alternate name for Arlandria.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 585 times
I know this thread is old, but I would like to speak of the subjectivity of "safe". People that have lived in NOVA most of their lives tend to have a very different view of dangerous. There is an area in Falls Church called Pimmit Hills that everyone calls the "ghetto". In NYC it would be a wonderfully safe area. I have lived in the Bronx, multiple parts of NOVA, and East London. Everything in NOVA is safe in comparison to most places, it may just not be safe in comparison to the other parts of NOVA. Without offending anyone, if you have any experience in a dodgy area you will feel like it is Sunny Brook Farm.

I will say that the comparison does get to you though since I think there are areas around Alexandria that I would not like to go to (because I am used to Vienna and Burke), but when I lived in East London grown men did not want to walk down my street at night (which I did alone regularly).

Old 05-27-2014, 07:06 PM

1 posts, read 309 times
As an immigrant (legal ) to the US and Del Ray, from Europe, I admit I struggle with the "safe" issue. It isn't how we rate neighbourhoods there - except for some very dodgy inner-city areas, maybe. So my opinion is skewed - but I love Del Ray, it's quirky and funky and there are gardens and kids and dogs... and people converse! I am happy to live here.

Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM

7,720 posts, read 11,599,933 times
Del Ray "proper" is still fine and Rosemont to the west is solid and a convenient midpoint between Del Ray and the King Street Metro. If one is comfortable in working-class environments then Arlandria is okay as well. Never had a problem walking through there during the daytime; it probably wouldn't hurt to exercise mild street wisdom at night.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:16 PM

524 posts, read 214,682 times
The most dangerous part of living is Del Ray is answering the front door when someone rings the bell. :|
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia