Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 07:16 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,339 times

Advertisements

My Honda needs it's 30K mile maintenant.

My instinct was to return to the Honda Dealer in Fairfax on Main Street. But then I wonder if I'll get overcharged. I've only been there once before- everyone was nice and I paid appropriately but it was a small issue I was dealing with. Has anyone had good/bad experiences there?

Otherwise, I was thinking of trying a place called Briar Oaks Exxon in Fairfax. Good/bad experience here?

When I called the Honda dealer, they quoted me about $600 but the Briar Oaks place said it would be $120 plus whatever they find that needs replaced/udpated/etc... I guess the 120 is for a lookover, tire rotation, oil change, etc... the smaller stuff.

Thoughts?

Thanks....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
I've never taken my car to the dealer. It seems like they definitely charge much more for the 30/60k maintenance than regular mechanics. Really the only routine maintenance you need at 30k is maybe a flush or two and the regular oil change/tire rotation. No way you should be paying $600 unless something non-routine went wrong with the car, but then I would think you're still under warranty. I've looked at the list of things the dealer does at those 30/60k tune-ups and it's mostly just inspecting stuff. A good mechanic will look everything over for free while he's changing the oil and let you know what you need. Anyways I have no experience with the Briar Oaks Exxon but I definitely think you're wise to not go to dealer.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:41 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
I use WB motors on Pickett in Fairfax for my Honda and also my husband's car. We have been very happy with the service and prices. We took my husband's car to a dealer when it had a problem, and the dealer charged us 600 and didn't even fix the problem. We took it to WB and they actually fixed the problem for a fraction of the dealer's price.

W B Motors | Full Service Auto Care | Northern Virginia Auto Repair Center

Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I think places like Meineke, Midas, etc. have the same information for your vehicle in their database. And I believe some offer the same or similar packages. Check around and ask your neighbors and friends about services from them or anyone else.

Also, your manual should have that checklist. So at least you know what should be changed or replaced. Good luck!

Old 03-14-2011, 01:05 PM

696 posts, read 1,693,919 times
We just got our Honda Pilot serviced for the $60K at Fairfax Honda. They wanted to do brakes, etc, but we just had them do the basic service, mostly to make sure there wasn't anything going on before the warranty expires. Since my husband took the car in I don't have the total, but it couldn't have been too bad or I would have heard him complain about it!

We had brakes and oil change done at AK Auto on Lee Highway - AK AUTO Service Home
My neighbor uses him and now we take our Honda and Subaru there. Mr. Kang is GREAT! I really like his honesty and he's very thorough.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:36 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
If you don't mind a trip to Arlington, call the Japanese Auto Clinic on Lee Highway. They're fairly priced, and do good work -- located diagonally across the street from The Heidelberg, if you're familiar, near the intersection of Lee Highway & N Glebe Road. I have taken one of my cars to them, and have been pleased to walk away with a bill that was significantly less than the dealership. They will quote you their rate for the work. $600 seems high, since even at the Acura dealer, I don't think that I paid that much for 30k service on an RL, which does have a higher service cost for Honda.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-14-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks for the input. I just talked to the guys at the Honda dealer and there are services that I have already had done so I can elect to not do them. I saw reviews for the Briar Oaks place and they aren't good.
I've been to the Japanese Auto Clinic and have been pleased with them, but alas I do not have time to go to Arlington for this.
Otherwise, I'll keep the other recommendations in my back pocket when I need more service.
Thanks so much again.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:53 AM

Oh darn it... I should have listened to you posters... I'm at the dealer now and with all of the flushes and things that my car apparently needs, I'm up to $600.

And they say my car needs tires too, but I'm not doing anything else with them.

I'm going to follow up in the future with some of the other places you mentioned.

Time was of the essense this time around though... $600 worth of essense...haha

Old 03-16-2011, 09:00 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Sometimes time is more valuable than money. Heaven knows I've paid out the nose for things so that I can salvage my afternoon for something else instead.

For future reference (or anyone else reading this thread), I'm a big big fan of backlick road service station in Annandale (on backlick, between Braddock and 236). Very kind, explained everything thoroughly to me, and very fair prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia