U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 06:49 AM

47 posts, read 77,521 times

Advertisements

Same applies to FFX County Courts. If the judge dismisses the case no court fee's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:28 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,838,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
In PWC you do not pay court costs if a case is dismissed no NP. You only pay if you're found guilty or plead guilty. This should be the case in every court in VA but obviously I haven't seen them all.

Meant to say dismissed OR np.

Grrrrrr. This is the only forum I am on where you can't make corrections hours later. I am on a lot of forums, especially motorcycle, and you can always make corrections no matter how long you wait.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,817,249 times
You don't need a lawyer for 15 over. They won't be able to do anything you can't do on your own. Waste of money for your particular situation.

With your +5 you can request traffic school. You complete traffic school, don't get another ticket for a year or however long the judge says, and the ticket is never on your record. Don't do traffic school before you go to court - the judge has to give it to you.

Never pay a ticket directly through the mail if you can get the time to go to court. Going to court is not about being guilty are not; it's about making a deal. They don't care you were doing 15 over - they just want their money. If you talk the prosecutor before going to the judge see what they offer (likely it will be guilty to a reduced speed with a lower fine). See if you can get a deal for the full fine, but plead guilty to a charge that doesn't carry points (defective equipment, improper driving). This way everyone wins - your record is ok, they still get their fine. There's also the possibility that the officer doesn't show up and the whole thing is dismissed!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
You don't need a lawyer for 15 over. They won't be able to do anything you can't do on your own. Waste of money for your particular situation.

With your +5 you can request traffic school. You complete traffic school, don't get another ticket for a year or however long the judge says, and the ticket is never on your record. Don't do traffic school before you go to court - the judge has to give it to you.

Never pay a ticket directly through the mail if you can get the time to go to court. Going to court is not about being guilty are not; it's about making a deal. They don't care you were doing 15 over - they just want their money. If you talk the prosecutor before going to the judge see what they offer (likely it will be guilty to a reduced speed with a lower fine). See if you can get a deal for the full fine, but plead guilty to a charge that doesn't carry points (defective equipment, improper driving). This way everyone wins - your record is ok, they still get their fine. There's also the possibility that the officer doesn't show up and the whole thing is dismissed!
Some minor corrections. Some jurisdictions allow you to take the driving school on yout own before court. PWC does not.

An officer not showing up is not an automatic dismissal. If he/she calls in sick or on an emergency then cases can be continued to another date. The prosecutor may offer a deal though on minor cases so some won't have to come back.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 PM

29 posts, read 38,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Wrong a SUPREAME COURT DECISSION IN ONE STATE CAN AND DOES BECOME CASE LAW IN ANY OTHER STATE .
Ummmm. I don't think so. If the laws in Washington are different from those in Virginia, how can Washington case law apply here? For example, Washington is a community property state. Virginia is not. Are you saying that a Washington supreme court case dealing with the disposition of jointly-held property would apply here?

Secondly, there is already case law in Virginia that operating a motor vehicle on the public highway is a privilege, not a right.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:53 AM

119 posts, read 332,761 times
15 over aint much. just go and represent yourself and say you thought the limit was xxx or what ever. if you havent had ticket in ling time you can usually agree to take driver improvement and have the conviction waived. the true cost of a ticket is higher insurance premium based on CONVICTION not points...

youll have to pay court costs and for traffic school

Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 AM

7,722 posts, read 18,513,093 times
Wow, I'm glad I didn't just suck it up and pay in PWC! I met with the prosecutor the morning of court, was given class, no points, court costs only. I had to pay $85 for the class, one Saturday that lasted maybe 6 hours and the class was actually quite entertaining.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Wow, I'm glad I didn't just suck it up and pay in PWC! I met with the prosecutor the morning of court, was given class, no points, court costs only. I had to pay $85 for the class, one Saturday that lasted maybe 6 hours and the class was actually quite entertaining.

Told you.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:18 PM

883 posts, read 603,080 times
glad this thread was made... I got a ticket -- my first one -- in Loudoun County a few weeks ago, 73 in a 55 (on route 28, everyone speeds on 28!!!). Anyway, I don't want the points on my license, so I plan on doing traffic school. Is it better to wait until my court date (April 8th) and ask the judge if I can take traffic school in exchange for dropping the charges? Or should I take a class first and then bring the certificate and show the judge on the 8th?

Old 03-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Guess you haven't read what's been posted. I would NOT take the drivers improvement course without checking with the courts first. The Commonwealth Attorneys Office should know. If not call the clerks office for the General District Court. In some court systems the judge wants to approve the course or it won't be accepted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia