Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:51 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
OP -- the rich Pennsylvanian refers to Judge John Handley who died about 100 years ago but left an endowment to the City of Winchester high school. It's named after him and there is tremendous loyalty to the school in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
How many other schools have valuable works of art stacked up in a closet somewhere?

I swear, WPS could make a few hundred grand just letting the Handley Bowl (football stadium) and/or building get used by movie crews over the summers/breaks.
... as well as the grand Handley Library. I think Normie posted a pic on her walking tour of Winchester. The library is pretty awesome. Sometimes I overhear the librarians talk about "the ghost of John Handley" every time a book "mysteriously" drops from a shelf or there's some "strange" noises in the back.

Evidently, Handley fought for the Union during the Civil War and endowed monies to the City of Winchester after the war ended. I think the city was occupied/exchanged hands (Union to Confederate and back) several dozen times.

I didn't know there was artwork at Handley H.S. either? I haven't been inside but it is magnificent on the outside. They're renovating around the streets too. There's a vintage diner across the street under renovation. Evidently, the original/main part is being kept and they're adding a back portion. I can't wait to try it out!

Good idea stpickrell about a film crew! There are some great places in Winchester for a movie -- especially a scary (ooooooooooooh) movie. I was in Mount Hebron Cemetery the other day --really old graves (1700s) and architecture. And there are some local haunts in town (pubs, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 02:07 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
Yep, there was priceless works of art thrown in a closet at John Handley.

Winchester's Secret - Homes (washingtonian.com)

Said priceless works of art were stored between 1941 and 1944.

In the 60s and 70s (and I didn't know this), it was a bomb shelter for Winchester city government.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Yep, there was priceless works of art thrown in a closet at John Handley.

Winchester's Secret - Homes (washingtonian.com)

Said priceless works of art were stored between 1941 and 1944.

In the 60s and 70s (and I didn't know this), it was a bomb shelter for Winchester city government.
stpickrell - can't open the link but I'm suspecting this had something to do with WWII and protecting works of art.

It happened during the war of 1812. Works of art were taken out of Washington, DC and transported to homes in Leesburg and other parts of VA to be protected.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:19 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
stpickrell - can't open the link but I'm suspecting this had something to do with WWII and protecting works of art.

It happened during the war of 1812. Works of art were taken out of Washington, DC and transported to homes in Leesburg and other parts of VA to be protected.
Yep, the Corcoran Gallery stored some of its artwork @ Handley during WW2.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:42 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
That's a really interesting article, stpickrell! (SouthJersey, if you right click your mouse, then hit "open link", it should work -- at least it did for me) I knew about the bunkers at The Greenbrier but had not heard this about Handley HS. It's fun to read this forum and learn so much interesting things -- except the reference to Garfinkles really made me feel old . . . . all the "Old Washington" institutions are fading away.

And, regarding the library -- it is an incredible architectural delight!

They've done fabulous work restoring both the high school and the library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia