Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:36 AM

62 posts, read 263,018 times

Advertisements

Is it illegal in FFX county to kill squirrels with BB gun? I was thinking about it after one squirrel literally stole a piece of pizza out of my daughter's hand on my deck. They have always been a nuisance for eating bird seeds out of the bird feeder, digging newly planted seeds from the flower pots, but they got into my nerve after the pizza incident. Is there any others ways to keep them off my deck beside killing them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:01 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
From how I read it, in Ffx Co it's illegal to discharge a gun in residential areas, and air rifles and spring-actuated BB guns fall under the definition. Air rifles are allowed if you're on at least 1 acre of land and your property falls under "Appendix J". That still doesn't mean you could shoot squirrels as nuisance animals, though.

CHAPTER 6. - Weapons.

APPENDIX J. - Ordinance to Designate Areas Where Firearms May Not Be Shot.

Also see "Wild Animal Problems" here: http://www.greentreevillage.net/complete_manual/pet_ordinances.pdf.

"All wildlife belongs to the state."

Sure is a different Fairfax County than the one I grew up in, but it's also a much more developed and populated one, too.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 AM

31 posts, read 96,702 times
I've never tried this method myself as squirrels aren't a problem in my yard but I've read of people having had success with it. Red pepper/Chili pepper (not chili powder) is supposed to deter squirrels from digging and it also supposedly works in bird feeders as the squirrels hate it but it has no detrimental effect on the birds. Just sprinkle it near plants or mix it in with your bird seed. Hope it helps.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:20 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,583,639 times
Shooting at squirrels will not get rid of them anyway. If a squirrel actually stole pizza out of a human's hand, then your problem is almost certainly solvable by making a few changes. Squirrels are not naturally brave enough to come so close to a human, even a child. The only reason they will do so is if they have become accustomed to seeing humans as a food source. A single birdfeeder is unlikely to do it, but it certainly will contribute to squirrels coming to your yard for food. More likely it's the birdfeeder plus human food remains or crumbs from eating outside - has anyone actually fed them on purpose (like kids throwing pieces of food to them)? Your neighbors could also cause this problem, but it's still more likely that if they are this brave in your yard, then that's where the problem is beginning.

So what you can do is remove all food sources for squirrels (including the bird feeder). Do not leave human food scraps outside, and do not, under any circumstances, allow anyone to deliberately feed the squirrels in your yard. As soon as the food is gone, the squirrels will also disappear (or at least, they'll stay away from the people in the yard). There is no other way to keep them from being a nuisance - the squirrel population is generally too large anyway, so if one gets shot another will quickly take its place.

Your bird feeder and food scraps will also be contributing to overpopulation in your immediate area, so eliminating them will also help reduce the population of squirrels.

Occasionally, a single squirrel will become so accustomed to humans as a food source that it becomes aggressive toward humans. It's unusual, but it can happen. Nip the problem in the bud and get rid of the food sources now. A squirrel that aggressive would have to trapped and destroyed - expensive and difficult for you, bad for squirrel.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
If you have squirrels in your attic, try playing a Barry Manilow tape. That'll drive out just about anything.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:43 AM

62 posts, read 263,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Shooting at squirrels will not get rid of them anyway. If a squirrel actually stole pizza out of a human's hand, then your problem is almost certainly solvable by making a few changes. Squirrels are not naturally brave enough to come so close to a human, even a child. The only reason they will do so is if they have become accustomed to seeing humans as a food source. A single birdfeeder is unlikely to do it, but it certainly will contribute to squirrels coming to your yard for food. More likely it's the birdfeeder plus human food remains or crumbs from eating outside - has anyone actually fed them on purpose (like kids throwing pieces of food to them)? Your neighbors could also cause this problem, but it's still more likely that if they are this brave in your yard, then that's where the problem is beginning.

So what you can do is remove all food sources for squirrels (including the bird feeder). Do not leave human food scraps outside, and do not, under any circumstances, allow anyone to deliberately feed the squirrels in your yard. As soon as the food is gone, the squirrels will also disappear (or at least, they'll stay away from the people in the yard). There is no other way to keep them from being a nuisance - the squirrel population is generally too large anyway, so if one gets shot another will quickly take its place.

Your bird feeder and food scraps will also be contributing to overpopulation in your immediate area, so eliminating them will also help reduce the population of squirrels.

Occasionally, a single squirrel will become so accustomed to humans as a food source that it becomes aggressive toward humans. It's unusual, but it can happen. Nip the problem in the bud and get rid of the food sources now. A squirrel that aggressive would have to trapped and destroyed - expensive and difficult for you, bad for squirrel.

Good luck, hope that helps.
Squirrels are my sworn enemies and I never imagined feeding them. I keep my trash can lid tight and no other foods besides the bird feeder in my yard. My wife would want to remove the bird feeder. I think my next door neighbor was the cause of the squirrels getting bold. They had dog foods in their yard and I once saw a squirrel family having a picnic over the dog food bowl. The other days, I was at Home Depot and saw rat glue boards. Would that work on squirrels?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:47 AM

518 posts, read 924,613 times
I think if Fairfax county owns the wildlife you should call them and have them take care of their property.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:49 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtt99 View Post
Squirrels are my sworn enemies and I never imagined feeding them. I keep my trash can lid tight and no other foods besides the bird feeder in my yard. My wife would want to remove the bird feeder. I think my next door neighbor was the cause of the squirrels getting bold. They had dog foods in their yard and I once saw a squirrel family having a picnic over the dog food bowl. The other days, I was at Home Depot and saw rat glue boards. Would that work on squirrels?
I know you obviously don't care, but those glue boards are extremely inhumane - and like someone else mentioned, there are so many squirrels, you'll never get rid of them. If you kill more (no matter how babaric the method), more will come. Hopefully to seek revenge on you if you use those glue traps

Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
Why would you want to kill them? We have alot of squirrels and birds that come around (including black squirrels which I'd never seen before but seem to be common out here in Winchester). And while they may be pesky, I can't imagine trying to kill one.

That said, there was supposed to be this mysterious possum rummaging around our neighborhood and I thought about getting it with a cross-bow but, as mentioned, it is a weapon and could endanger my neighbors or anyone nearby. Plus I wouldn't be able to wound an animal anyway. I did see him once during the snow and I chased him away by throwing snowballs at him.

Marie5V gave excellent suggestions about keeping lids on tight and not being friendly with them. Maybe when you see them in your lawn, you could yell or chase them out. Sooner or later, they'll know they're not welcome.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:33 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,912,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtt99 View Post
Is it illegal in FFX county to kill squirrels with BB gun? I was thinking about it after one squirrel literally stole a piece of pizza out of my daughter's hand on my deck. They have always been a nuisance for eating bird seeds out of the bird feeder, digging newly planted seeds from the flower pots, but they got into my nerve after the pizza incident. Is there any others ways to keep them off my deck beside killing them?
Get a live trap and release them inside city hall.

Maybe someone will get the message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: