U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:26 PM

592 posts, read 852,268 times

Advertisements

Fredericksburg VA for antiques & civil war museum and battlefield walk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 04:56 PM

11,348 posts, read 20,129,914 times
I thought about Fredericksburg - I like some of those shops. Now I'm thinking New Market, MD - haven't been there in years.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:12 PM

New Market, MD it is (hoping there is somewhere to kick back and relax while eating outside, maybe a cocktail or two) - thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. We'll be taking future trips.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:32 PM

Sad to report: New Market is pretty much history...the town is pretty dead. We only saw a couple places open but want to go walk and got to talking to someone who lived next to some restaurant (sorry, can't remember the name, but apparently THE place to go eat yrs. back but closed up and for sale) - really nice guy that used to have a local art/jewelry business that closed up - seems many of the home/businesses in the area are either just closed up/for sale/foreclosure

He did tell us that New Market has changed the zoning to allow more than just antiques like it used to be and he is planning an ice cream (locally made) shop and that someone had purchased a building and plans to open a restaurant - he hopes that will bring some life back to the area. It was a shame, pretty much a place to drive through now unless you want to go to the one place that has food, a pizza place.

We ended up going to Frederick, again sad, many of the places I remember from way back (my single days) are gone. We did check out some shops, people watched, talked to some friendly folks in the various shops, the few antique places, etc. There is an interesting vinegar and oil shop (who woulda thunk it?) - with many varieties of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, etc. (and bought some).

I'm going to keep some of the other suggestions in mind for the next day trip though!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:15 PM

8,549 posts, read 12,605,937 times
That is sad to hear. I was wondering about that as I know there is so much development in that area. I remember that restaurant. And there was a general store that had a lunch counter. I haven't been to Frederick in quite a few years. I always liked their downtown, too. Hope you had a nice day anyway.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:23 PM

798 posts, read 2,478,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Sad to report: New Market is pretty much history...the town is pretty dead. We only saw a couple places open but want to go walk and got to talking to someone who lived next to some restaurant (sorry, can't remember the name, but apparently THE place to go eat yrs. back but closed up and for sale) - really nice guy that used to have a local art/jewelry business that closed up - seems many of the home/businesses in the area are either just closed up/for sale/foreclosure

He did tell us that New Market has changed the zoning to allow more than just antiques like it used to be and he is planning an ice cream (locally made) shop and that someone had purchased a building and plans to open a restaurant - he hopes that will bring some life back to the area. It was a shame, pretty much a place to drive through now unless you want to go to the one place that has food, a pizza place.

We ended up going to Frederick, again sad, many of the places I remember from way back (my single days) are gone. We did check out some shops, people watched, talked to some friendly folks in the various shops, the few antique places, etc. There is an interesting vinegar and oil shop (who woulda thunk it?) - with many varieties of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, etc. (and bought some).

I'm going to keep some of the other suggestions in mind for the next day trip though!
I haven't been on here too much lately so am just seeing this today and was hoping to hear you found some place really fun.. We did a bit of this on the weekends in the fall and really enjoyed Easton/St Michaels and Fredericksburg but we had not been to either before so it was all new.. We took a ride out towards Culpepper one weekend too but hadn't done any research and it was a bust.. We are always looking for suggestions for fun day trips so hopefully some others will come up..

Old 03-19-2011, 05:56 PM

The guy I mentioned speaking to in New Market talked about Shepherdstown, although he mentioned places to eat that were a "bargain" (but he thought they really were) - at $30 or so for an entree that would be much higher elsewhere.

It was a nice day so it was nice to get out but gone are the days of getting to Frederick in 45 mins. - it took that long to get to the Georgetown Pike exit! Then there was a car fire on 270 and all lanes went down to one (the far left). I honestly can't see doing Frederick again though. Maybe Gettysburg will be in the rotation.

I haven't done St. Michaels, I assumed I would want to when it was more summery, short-type weather. Did you have fun? I know it's a little far but one day we went to Cumberland and really enjoyed it (we also met up w/Pgh. friends there so that helped) - but there's a little area to walk (a little like Old Town but much smaller), w/shops and a couple restaurants, then there's a great visitor center w/exhibits that are interactive (phones to hear voices, things to see), on how the barges used to work through there, then found a place to sit outside and have drinks and food.

We like Fredericksburg, lots of shops but wanted something different. I have to double check w/the NC cousin who was just visiting her friend in I think: Rappahanhock (sp?) and loved it, she said they went to tons of thrift stores, flea market type shops, etc.

As for Culpeper, it was interesting to see the architecture but not so much fun. Used to be that Sperryville and/or Strasburg (I always mix them up) used to be good but lots of those places are gone as well. I have to try to remember the town in PA we checked out enroute to Lebanon - but it wasn't that far. There were several antique/collectible malls.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:30 PM

288 posts, read 646,770 times
Here are some of the things we do for a day trip:

Playing the slots or video poker is always fun at Charles Town, WV.

Going to Rehoboth Beach. We stop at Holly's for breakfast (just across Bay Bridge), then go to the Queenstown Outlets, then on to Rehoboth. Believe it or not, the beach is even fun in the winter! And there is no sales tax in Delaware, so I like going to the outlets there too.

Taking the Stony Man hike on Skyline Drive.

Lancaster area, PA - stocking up on food at the Amish grocery stores there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia