Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM

648 posts, read 1,330,651 times

Advertisements

They'll probably come out in April or May, so where are some places I could take them?

I know about the obvious museums and shopping, but my grandparents are 90 years old - they're not going to be able to hack walking around, much less in D.C.

So can anyone recommend anywhere to take them? It could be anywhere in the surrounding area.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,018,324 times
What kinds of things do they like to do? If they like gardens, Meadowlark Gardens is beautiful in April, but your grandparents will probably only be able to do the upper garden (which is very pretty). The lakes, most of the cherry trees, and most of the property (besides the upper garden and wedding pavilion) is only accessible by walking down a hill.

The Smithsonian gardens surrounding the castle might be a better choice. You can park right there so they wouldn't have to walk much. There are also some good trolley tours of DC if they've never seen the monuments before--that might make DC easier for them.

Reston Town Center might be a nice place to take them. They often have nice festivals in the spring. Or, how about one of the local wineries? Sunset Hills is one that's pretty easy for seniors to get to and is very pretty. Another possilbiity could be one of the horse events in Middleburg.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
What kinds of things do they like to do? If they like gardens, Meadowlark Gardens is beautiful in April but your grandma will probably only be able to do the upper garden (which is very pretty). The lakes, most of the cherry trees, and most of the property (besides the upper garden and wedding pavilion) is only accessible by walking down a hill. The Smithsonian gardens surrounding the castle might be a better choice. There are also some good trolley tours of DC if they've never seen the monuments before.

The thing is, I known they've seen all this stuff - they're pretty well traveled and have been to DC many times before in their younger days.
The gardens sound nice, though. I don't think they care what we do as long as they spend time with me and my mom...but still, I don't want them sitting in a hotel room all day!

Where is Meadowlark Gardens?

Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM

216 posts, read 631,653 times
Meadowlark Gardens are in Vienna, off Beulah Road. Also, consider taking to them to Old Town and to walk/sit along the waterfront and visit the Torpedo Art Factory. I think there are some Potomac cruises that leave from the docks there, so that should limit walking.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:12 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,018,324 times
It's near Wolftrap National Park. I think that area is Vienna but I'm not sure. On Beulah Rd., between Rt. 7 and 66.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,070,979 times
do your grandparents have wheelchairs? If not, see if you can borrow/rent 1 or 2 or find a place that has them available. They will get tired of walking very quickly and will be relieved if you have the wheelchair. They may resist using it but it's similar to a child with a stroller: you'll be glad you have it when you need it.

We have elders in our family and take the wheelchair when we go places like Atlantic City. Granted, they're happy sitting at slot machines nearly most of the day, but when traversing back and forth to parking, going to eat, and going through crowds of people --that wheelchair comes in real handy.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
do your grandparents have wheelchairs? If not, see if you can borrow/rent 1 or 2 or find a place that has them available. They will get tired of walking very quickly and will be relieved if you have the wheelchair. They may resist using it but it's similar to a child with a stroller: you'll be glad you have it when you need it.

We have elders in our family and take the wheelchair when we go places like Atlantic City. Granted, they're happy sitting at slot machines nearly most of the day, but when traversing back and forth to parking, going to eat, and going through crowds of people --that wheelchair comes in real handy.
They aren't wheelchair bound yet - my grandma uses one of those walkers that is also a seat, but I don't think either of them would use a wheelchair - even if we wanted them to.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,049,862 times
How about Middleburg? A very pleasant drive, beautiful scenery, restaurants that aren't part of a chain, pretty walkable.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:41 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,574,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
They'll probably come out in April or May, so where are some places I could take them?

I know about the obvious museums and shopping, but my grandparents are 90 years old - they're not going to be able to hack walking around, much less in D.C.

So can anyone recommend anywhere to take them? It could be anywhere in the surrounding area.

Thanks in advance!

I think for that age, you need a place you can just park right next to and not walk far. I would probably go to Old Town, park right at the bottom near the water in the public garage just north of King Street. Then you could walk from the garage right across the street to the waterfront. They could sit on the benches there, look at the stuff going on, and you could go to one of the restaurants nearby, like Chart House (a reservation is helpful there, though). Even if they've been there before, Old Town doesn't look anything like it did even 20 years ago, so it would be different. There wasn't even a waterfront area then.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM

384 posts, read 1,026,720 times
I think Marie5v's post about Old Town is an excellent idea.

I would also consider a drive to Manassas Battlefield. There are a couple of parking lots where you could take a nice stroll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia