U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,442,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Not funny stuff-a good friend of mine's sister had exposure to the Three Mile Island disaster and they spent year in court trying to recoup medical expenses. Very sad stuff.

I don't care what anyone says-I would never support nuclear power.
I wasn't laughing - it is serious stuff, and there is always that worry in the back of your mind where nuclear power is concerned.

In that DE/NJ area, you also have to worry about the chemical plants. In high school, some chemical was accidentally released and there was a yellow cloud moving toward our house. They warned all of us to stay inside until it dissipated.

But you also can't live your life in fear, you know? Take whatever precautions you can, be informed, and then just live your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 03:20 PM

5,784 posts, read 5,806,880 times
The thing is this - right now nuclear power plants are in the news. Last month it was terrorists. This summer it might be hurricanes or antrax or chemicals in our food or plastic containers or who knows what. We probably won't predict the next big scare. All I know is if the traffic in DC when we try to escape this place resembles anything like the traffic the night of that late January snowstorm, we are all doomed. None of us will get out of here fast enough.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:44 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,004,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I'd be more worried about Lake Anna, but I'm not worrying at all. I'm fine with nucleaur power and 3 eyed fish. Lake Anna is nice and warm too
As someone who has a place at Lake Anna, I love the place. I'm with you, but do understand that a problem with nuclear is no joking matter. I tend to go along with a call in I heard on radio the other day where someone said we all didn't stop going into high rise buildings or riding in airplanes after 911. Safety is critical. We can't guess all the what ifs, but then we can't in any part of life either.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
The thing is this - right now nuclear power plants are in the news. Last month it was terrorists. This summer it might be hurricanes or antrax or chemicals in our food or plastic containers or who knows what. We probably won't predict the next big scare. All I know is if the traffic in DC when we try to escape this place resembles anything like the traffic the night of that late January snowstorm, we are all doomed. None of us will get out of here fast enough.
yes, that is why I have the "bend over and kiss my ass goodbye" plan for disaster in the DC area

Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,004,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
yes, that is why I have the "bend over and kiss my ass goodbye" plan for disaster in the DC area
LOL! Yes, we do too, but be it good or bad, our interim stop most likely will be Lake Anna!

Old 03-18-2011, 02:08 PM

3,286 posts, read 4,923,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
In that DE/NJ area, you also have to worry about the chemical plants. In high school, some chemical was accidentally released and there was a yellow cloud moving toward our house. They warned all of us to stay inside until it dissipated.
There's a nuclear plant on the Jersey Shore. I didn't see it on michcg's map. But it's around the Atlantic City area and you can actually see the concrete towers (look like the ones from Three Mile Island) from the Garden State Pkwy. So if a tsunami hits that part of the coast, we could all be goners.

That said, I have another scare to share. Here's the story:
When I was growing up, there was a "strange" disease in Philly that killed a bunch of people at a convention that was later called "Legionnaire's Disease". For the longest, no one knew what it was. I think (publicly) they said there was something in the A/C system and it infected people's lungs.

However, from talk from the locals, many people suspecting that the meat they ate at a dinner was tainted and killed them. The meat was traced back to cows exposed to biological warfare testing. At the same time of the Legionnaire's dilemma, local news stories carried episodes of "strange" happenings in the NJ Pine Barrens Preservation--said there were graveyards of dead cattle. And they blamed it on witchcraft (witches practicing animal-killing).

Not to confuse everyone with this crazy story but the suspicion of people dying accidentally from biological warfare testing was never resolved.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
There's a nuclear plant on the Jersey Shore. I didn't see it on michcg's map. But it's around the Atlantic City area and you can actually see the concrete towers (look like the ones from Three Mile Island) from the Garden State Pkwy. So if a tsunami hits that part of the coast, we could all be goners.

That said, I have another scare to share. Here's the story:
When I was growing up, there was a "strange" disease in Philly that killed a bunch of people at a convention that was later called "Legionnaire's Disease". For the longest, no one knew what it was. I think (publicly) they said there was something in the A/C system and it infected people's lungs.

However, from talk from the locals, many people suspecting that the meat they ate at a dinner was tainted and killed them. The meat was traced back to cows exposed to biological warfare testing. At the same time of the Legionnaire's dilemma, local news stories carried episodes of "strange" happenings in the NJ Pine Barrens Preservation--said there were graveyards of dead cattle. And they blamed it on witchcraft (witches practicing animal-killing).

Not to confuse everyone with this crazy story but the suspicion of people dying accidentally from biological warfare testing was never resolved.
that story sounds vaguely familiar. I lived in cecil county, md until I started HS, and we moved literally 2 miles down the road to New Castle county, DE when I was in HS. We got both Philly and Baltimore stations on our TV.

We all knew about the nuclear plants in our 50 mile radius and the chemical plants. There was always a chance something could happen. But again, I think there are so many things to be worried about in this world - I can't live in a bubble, right? I can't worry about the outlier stuff when I just need to get through my everyday life.

I do hate those unexplained things - much like we STILL have no clue who pulled the anthrax attacks after 9/11.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:48 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,328,311 times
I am sure the chances of getting runover by a driver on a cell phone in NoVA are much higher than a radiation leak at the Peach Bottom Nuclear Plant. In any case, please don't start stocking up on potassium iodide pills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia