Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:11 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
I am using Raid ant baits and they aren't working AT ALL! I'm also using ant spray -- only a very temporary fix. Ugh! What bait are you using?
I usually use the Raid ant baits and also use the Raid Ant Spray. I do this for approximately two weeks every spring and it repels the invasion...at least till next year. I also engage in hand to hand combat with them using my hiking shoe. This isn't as effective but does make me feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,587 times
We had them in our kitchen for several weeks in Jan/Feb before I found a product to eradicate them. They were mostly around a couple windows and seemed to emerge from tiny cracks around the trim. Also, they established a home in some potted plants I had in a garden window. I'm not sure if they were brought into the house when the plants were brought inside in the fall or if they gravitated there after entering from elsewhere. At first I used Terro, which worker ants are supposed to take to feed the queen and poison her. It was useless. I then lucked out when I randomly purchased Ortho Maxx Ant & Roach Killer. You spray it along the ant trails. It dries transparent and lasts. It worked virtually immediately. For two days afterward, I identified a stray ant or two. but nowhere near the numbers before spraying. Since then (2 weeks now), not an ant.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:00 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,880,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
Yes, I've had them, and have had them for awhile. First I blamed an old poinsettia plant that I had left on the counter for a month after Christmas. Didn't see many, just one or two at a time. Then I put out the Terro and they came running, and hopefully are also disappearing. I'm so aggravated by it. We just did a major termite barrier treatment last year. I was hoping that would also catch them. Anything better than Terro? Will just boric acid powder work as well, and if so, where do I find it?
Boric acid powder (not Borax, which is another good product with completely different uses, but I digress) is *awesome*, even for severe tiny-ant invasions. It's a white powder that's applied directly from the container (a flexible plastic bottle of half powder, half air, with a nozzle that the powder sort of 'puffs' out of) where you've seen the ants, etc. (particularly near baseboards or wherever you think they might be coming in from outside). It generally takes about a week for the ants (or whatever) to start disappearing, since it isn't an 'instant kill' sort of product (it destroys any bugs that come in contact with it, but not before the ground forces are able to track it back to their nests). It's a very thorough/effective solution, though - once you stop seeing the ants (again, about a week or so in), you're usually good for a very long time.. possibly even until the following year's warm season.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:48 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I swear by Terro. It has always been effective in getting rid of ants. I think the main ingredient is boric acid.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:38 AM

518 posts, read 925,060 times
Usually you can find Boric Acid in your hardware stores with the other bug killing products.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,895 times
UGH ANTS. We used Terro, baits, and Raid, and it seems that they get used to them or tell their ant buddies "hey avoid these areas, to really creep her out, go up to the shower".
I got mad last time and bought those bug bomb things and bombed every room in the house besides where the cats usually stay. We had to cover everything but it worked, lol! We even had to bomb our pantry since somehow the ants found some way in there! Eeew they were all over the bottom of our cereal boxes, even unopened! GROSS.

When we bombed the pantry, we came back in the house a couple hours later and found dead ants everywhere...on my unopened syrup, inside cereal boxes, a line of dead ones that had been trying to get into sugar, ones that died crawling up my honey container.

I hate ants, it's an ever-raging war against them in my house!

Old 03-18-2011, 08:34 AM

607 posts, read 1,216,759 times
We found ants coming in through a window at my house this week. Raid and baking soda seem to be keeping them at bay.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM

486 posts, read 1,665,682 times
I was just going to post the same thing... my child found this morning the first ant and spider in the house. Yipee... I guess my battle list of things to combat them needs to be enacted asap.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:08 AM

265 posts, read 952,661 times
We use Diatomaceous Earth. Nice organic way to eradicate crawling insects. They ingest it and it breaks down their insides

Old 03-18-2011, 08:08 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smagid View Post
We use Diatomaceous Earth. Nice organic way to eradicate crawling insects. They ingest it and it breaks down their insides
But don't breathe in that stuff. It's not toxic, but the composition will tear up your lungs.
Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia