Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 01:20 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btotheob View Post
I Love people on the internet. So quick to get on someone's case...

Haha. Do you think property rights have been abolished in CA? My guess is probably not... My point is that people who have swimming areas in CA are less likely to hassle you for using them. It's obviously up to the owner of the land, if there is one, to care or not if someone else goes for a swim. This, of course, is just my experience. Yours may be different.

Those are all low pop/low col area so it is apples and oranges. I will agree though noCal is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 07:47 PM

256 posts, read 462,797 times
What I love about NOVA is Arlington and Old Town Alexandria. We love hanging out in both places. They both have amazing restaurants and lovely view.
What I dislike is traffic and population. It is very crowded wherever you go!!!

Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
I like that we live within minutes of pretty much everywhere we need to be on a regular basis and rarely need to deal with traffic.

Old 08-12-2014, 06:44 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyTwoShoes View Post
Nando's has graced N. VA with it's presence, and the newest one is located next to the Alamo cinema and drafthouse in Ashburn.
I love Nando's. I can't believe how fast they've expanded in the DC area.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
I love Nando's. I can't believe how fast they've expanded in the DC area.
Nando's?
Google, here I come!

Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,529,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Nando's?
Google, here I come!
Spicy chicken "casual dining ala Chipotle" place. When I studied abroad in London, I fell in love with this place as it's very popular there and then I realized DC at that time had a couple locations. Apparently they're everywhere now.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:55 AM

142 posts, read 273,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
Spicy chicken "casual dining ala Chipotle" place. When I studied abroad in London, I fell in love with this place as it's very popular there and then I realized DC at that time had a couple locations. Apparently they're everywhere now.
I wish Nando's here would serve their chicken like they do overseas...on a big sword skewer hanging over a bed of fries.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM

58 posts, read 104,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vademo View Post
What I love about NOVA is Arlington and Old Town Alexandria. We love hanging out in both places. They both have amazing restaurants and lovely view.
What I dislike is traffic and population. It is very crowded wherever you go!!!
Yes, I love living near Old Town. Very walkable and historical and not as congested as Arlington. Plus your only short distance from DC.

Yes, traffic and more traffic. Sitting on Duke Street on Saturday afternoons is almost as bad as rush hour.

As a native Chicagoan, I do miss having a lake shore or ocean close by.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 750 times
Default Loathe Northern Virgina.

l hated living here SO much, thank goodness it was only for a very short time.
Behind the facade of the pretty lawns, and HOA community facilities lies Stagnant isolated, zombie like existences. The people here are the most bland,dull,uninspiring,vanilla,introverted,weird,r obotic, close minded, unfriendly humans you will ever meet. The neighbors were mostly unfriendly to each other, very robotic existence, go to work, take their trash out,residents driving in and out of their garages and never to be seen again and Repeat. lt was darn near close to being in a cemetery.
Most of the women are so unkempt, most cut their hair so short and l would usually mistake Wives for Mothers of the husband or Mother in laws. We found it to lack any diversity or culture, not unified, very isolated existences, neighbors never interacted with each other, no sense and love of true community.
Very little neighborly chatter within themselves,its pretty much driving in and out of their garages and never to be seen again.
The surrounding local Church was not any better, good Pastors but some weird members.
Like other posters mentioned, if you are white, married with young kids,then you may mostly likely like it.
All around weird, socially awkward, boring, sad, insecure,sterile,mostly over weight people.Lights on, Nobody home in regards with the people and the communities.
Reston, Herndon, Downtown Leesburg and Tysons corner were the only exceptions were there was any sense of Life,Culture,City center,Community and Happy people. Everywhere else Avoid like a plaque.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:14 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTravelle424 View Post
l hated living here SO much, thank goodness it was only for a very short time.
Behind the facade of the pretty lawns, and HOA community facilities lies Stagnant isolated, zombie like existences. The people here are the most bland,dull,uninspiring,vanilla,introverted,weird,r obotic, close minded, unfriendly humans you will ever meet. The neighbors were mostly unfriendly to each other, very robotic existence, go to work, take their trash out,residents driving in and out of their garages and never to be seen again and Repeat. lt was darn near close to being in a cemetery.
Most of the women are so unkempt, most cut their hair so short and l would usually mistake Wives for Mothers of the husband or Mother in laws. We found it to lack any diversity or culture, not unified, very isolated existences, neighbors never interacted with each other, no sense and love of true community.
Very little neighborly chatter within themselves,its pretty much driving in and out of their garages and never to be seen again.
The surrounding local Church was not any better, good Pastors but some weird members.
Like other posters mentioned, if you are white, married with young kids,then you may mostly likely like it.
All around weird, socially awkward, boring, sad, insecure,sterile,mostly over weight people.Lights on, Nobody home in regards with the people and the communities.
Reston, Herndon, Downtown Leesburg and Tysons corner were the only exceptions were there was any sense of Life,Culture,City center,Community and Happy people. Everywhere else Avoid like a plaque.
I hope you find greener pastures without unkempt women with short hair and churches with a few weird people. THE HORROR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia