Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 01:04 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,507,136 times

Advertisements

Thoughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,419,563 times
Likes-Nature,parks,culture,schools,most people,amenities
Dislikes-high COL,rude drivers,traffic,people that cant/dont speak english

Old 03-18-2011, 02:19 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,485 times
Likes are great job market, four seasons, great schools, great restaurants, reasonable access to beaches/bay/rivers/mountains, etc for outdoor fun.

Dislikes are traffic, expense, and most stores have generally terrible customer service.

Old 03-18-2011, 02:56 PM

115 posts, read 243,119 times
I only dislike the nightmare traffic congestion in Northern Virginia.

Old 03-18-2011, 03:22 PM

393 posts, read 1,202,386 times
After growing up in MD I like that VA is newer and "sparklier". For me, the quality of life is just better in VA.

I don't like the traffic, the real estate (I'd love a brand new rambler or Cape Cod that isn't in a 55+ neighborhood), and the diverse population annoys me.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:07 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Job market, selection of stores, Vicinity to D.C., the awesome friends I have met here, the fact that there is so much to do and see within a reasonable drive, the expensive cars in my neighborhood (make me feel rich even though I am FAR from it lol) and the fact that I am still only two hours away from my family.
Dislikes:
There do tend to be some rude inconsiderate people although for the most part their rudeness is due to the fact that they are just not very socialable around here, lack of small town feel, cookie cutter houses/condos (I live in one lol), High cost of living and of course the freaking traffic.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:22 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
From a former resident:

Liked: Activities/events, historical attractions, quality of K-12 schools, different cultures, Ballston, good local resturants, shopping options

Hated: stuck-up rude people, traffic outside of rush hour and during rush hour, number of illegals and attitude towards them, high COL, downtalking of certain people based on their economic status educational background or where they are from, segregation of immigrant groups, Fairfax County PD...

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-19-2011 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: no need for personal attacks

Old 03-18-2011, 06:47 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
downtalking of certain people based on their economic status educational background or where they are from
I actually have found quite the opposite around here, people seem to not really pay attention the other peoples views/backgrounds.. go with the flow and are quite acceptable towards others. Its a melting pot!

Old 03-18-2011, 06:59 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,454,998 times
Likes: the mild winters compared to where I came from in CT; the beautiful scenery out in Western Loudoun and surrounding countryside; that fact that there still IS some countryside; close proximity to historic sites and a major city; very diverse population; generally friendly people; great schools; proximity to Dulles airport; real estate prices (compared where I came from); jobs; small towns.

Dislikes: too many people from Leesburg east; lots of traffic at all times of the day; the fact that the Greenway is so expensive; lack of good mom and pop restaurants; bad Italian food; no bagels; very few actual bakeries; lots of state troopers around waiting to catch me speeding

Old 03-18-2011, 07:55 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,509,120 times
The world lives here---have friends and co-workers from every corner of the globe.

Friendly, smart, funny, literate population.

Basically civil attitude.

Local politics relatively clean (compared to everywhere else I've lived).

Good music scene.

Great arts community.

Good schools (from K thru college)

Good place to live and work for gay folks like myself----tolerant/liberal

Amazing cheap restaurants/ethnic cusine.

Cultural opportunities abound.

Close to beautiful countryside (just got back from Charlottesville today).

Close to the beach/Chesapeake Bay.

Dislikes:

Traffic, of course.

Cost of housing.

Cost of alcohol/beer/wine in restaurants.

The job-title fetish among the newbies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia