Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:53 AM

56 posts, read 95,723 times

Advertisements

I got a speeding ticket last week for 65/50. has anyone had luck with any good lawyers who can help get this ticket reduced? I have read about several people who had their speeding tickets reduced to failure to obey.

Any recommendation of traffic lawyers would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,713 times
What are you expecting a lawyer to do? Unless you can prove a mechanical failure in your vehicle (i.e., odometer broke) or something else like you weren't driving the car (i.e., your brother borrowed it), then you're pretty much screwed.

No one I know sympathizes with speeders--they're endangering everyone with this kind of reckless behavior. Not to preach but if I were you, I'd pay up and chalk this one up as a lesson learned.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,239,065 times
If this were me. I would get my speedometer calibrated and see what happens. If it's off a couple/few miles per hour the prosecutor might be willing to reduce it to defective equipment since you made the effort to get this done and spent the money. Call around as there are shops that do this. If you go to court and you don't like the deal the prosecutor is willing to give you a continuance will be granted so you can get a lawyer if you want.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:46 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,029,088 times
From personal experience I can tell you that if the prosecutor gives you a deal, TAKE IT.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:32 PM

It would also help to know which court system when people post topics like this.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:26 PM

56 posts, read 95,723 times
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It was a FFX County Officer on FFX Pkwy.

My last speeding ticket was over 8 years ago. I have +5 points on my DMV record. No tickets whatsoever in the last 8 years.

The officer got me on the Braddock Rd merge. I was in the right lane and sped up as their was traffic coming on to the PKWY off of Braddock road.

Old 03-14-2011, 06:34 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
What are you expecting a lawyer to do? Unless you can prove a mechanical failure in your vehicle (i.e., odometer broke) or something else like you weren't driving the car (i.e., your brother borrowed it), then you're pretty much screwed.

No one I know sympathizes with speeders--they're endangering everyone with this kind of reckless behavior. Not to preach but if I were you, I'd pay up and chalk this one up as a lesson learned.
I agree I dont care for speeders but the reality is at one point or another we all do it whether we get caught or not is another thing.. The sad truth is around here sometimes if you dont speed you will literally get ran over my friend..

Old 03-14-2011, 06:48 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiddhan625 View Post
I got a speeding ticket last week for 65/50. has anyone had luck with any good lawyers who can help get this ticket reduced? I have read about several people who had their speeding tickets reduced to failure to obey.

Any recommendation of traffic lawyers would be great. Thanks
WOW !! so many un educated people, Sorry no insult meant , just stating fact. So many people want to go into court and cry on the Judges shoulder. Instead you should learn what your rights are , and they are that when a cop gives you a ticket and you sign it that is your promise to appear in court ( your OR)nothing more. Now when you get to court you have rights and they are that the court has to provide proof you did something wrong. All you need to do is demand a verified complaint ( Your constitutional right to due process) That has to be if its to comply with the Laws, signed by the injured party, with the seal of a notary. This they never do because most time people just cry to the judge . You need to make the cops and the court follow the same laws they want you to . By the way! the cops can't give you a verified complaint on a Parking or traffic ticket. Don't believe me then look at all the sites on HOW TO BEAT A TICKET, the same action a lawyer will use. Do it your self and it cost you nothing but a little of your time. And thats time well spent. And while you are at it check out this site , RIGHT TO DRIVE , JUSTICE TOLMAN , STATE OF WASHINGTON. If that doesn't open your eyes nothing will.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:56 AM

Follow fighter 1's advice and let us know how that goes. Sheesh.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:50 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,577,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
From personal experience I can tell you that if the prosecutor gives you a deal, TAKE IT.
By that do you mean the JUDGE ?, Or some one from the DA's office ? Because the judge is only there to listen to the evidence , and if only you and the cop is there then that means the prosecution was not there and then the JUDGE has to dismiss the action . JUDGE has no lisence to be practicing law while on the bench. He has to be non bias. Most Judges violate the law every day when they enter a plea for some one that wants to argue their case . The laws state he can't do that. Same in all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia