U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 05:16 PM

11 posts, read 15,606 times

Advertisements

I request a little help from the locals, I moved recently to this area.
We are planning to buy a home and good schools district is important to us.

Can some one please let me know what you think about the school GreenBriar East? Greatschools gives better rating to Navy Elementary so wondering which one is better?

Would appreciate if parents of students from above schools/teachers/staff or anybody who knows the above school can share some info..specially if they can compare the two schools.

Thank you so much in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 05:30 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,617,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novamom2011 View Post
I request a little help from the locals, I moved recently to this area.
We are planning to buy a home and good schools district is important to us.

Can some one please let me know what you think about the school GreenBriar East? Greatschools gives better rating to Navy Elementary so wondering which one is better?

Would appreciate if parents of students from above schools/teachers/staff or anybody who knows the above school can share some info..specially if they can compare the two schools.

Thank you so much in advance.
I can't speak to specifics about these schools, but do know that the boundaries for Greenbriar East (but not Navy) are scheduled to change over the next few years, so you should take that into account if you're not already aware of it.

FCPS - Department of Facilities and Transportation Services - Facilities Planning Services-Southwestern Boundary Study

Old 03-20-2011, 05:38 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,801,779 times
Since I am looking for a school with full-day K, I can tell you that Greenbriar East has a full-day K and Navy has half-day K. At least for the time being - this could change next year, but I'm not holding my breath.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:44 PM

Thanks JEB77, I will call up FCPS tomorrow and try to find out more..good food for thought..

Thanks hilsmom.. my kid is not in K though good to know..did you get to find any info about GBE/Navy as far as the schools are concenred?

Thank You.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:23 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,754,098 times
I think the best thing to do is go to fcps.edu and look up the school profile. All the statistics you could want, test scores, etc. Other than that, a school visit from prospective parents is common and usually very welcome.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:25 PM

Don't know this for a fact, but at least from what I can tell as an outsider, Greenbriar East pulls from some apartment complexes and lower-income TH communities which give the school a higher percentage of ESOL and FARM kids. Also part of the community tracks to a different middle and high school than the part further west. I just drove by Navy today on my way home from Fairfax Corner - it is surrounded by nice SFH communities from what I can gather. But both schools seem to do quite well on greatschools ratings.

From what I can tell, the biggest difference in demographics comes from if there is an apartment complex or two in your boundaries. I live in the Armstrong district - I don't think there is ONE apartment complex in our boundaries. We don't have full-day K yet. However, across the Reston Parkway is Aldrin, with ridiculously expensive houses on Lake Newport and maybe even more affluence in the area directly surrounding the school than the dinky little TH communities on Lake Newport Drive where I live. Difference? Aldrin has 2 or 3 apartment complexes in its boundaries. So, I can't afford to buy even a TH in the Aldrin district, yet they have full-day K.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:03 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,584,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
Don't know this for a fact, but at least from what I can tell as an outsider, Greenbriar East pulls from some apartment complexes and lower-income TH communities which give the school a higher percentage of ESOL and FARM kids. Also part of the community tracks to a different middle and high school than the part further west. I just drove by Navy today on my way home from Fairfax Corner - it is surrounded by nice SFH communities from what I can gather. But both schools seem to do quite well on greatschools ratings.
K.
Greenbriar East is in the Chantilly Pyramid and Cluster 7. If you are buying east of the FFX Co. Parkway you most likely will be feeding into Lanier MS and then Fairfax HS (I think). The Greenbriar neighborhood section, west of FFX Co. Pkwy feeds into Rocky Run MS and Chantilly HS. Navy is in the Oakton pyramid and Cluster 8. I believe they feed into Franklin MS and then Oakton HS but then may not be exactly sure of their boundaries. The demographics of the boundaries will make up for some of the differences. GBE will be getting more students in two years but they are adding an addition on next year in preparation. It's part of the boundary study just completed. Navy was not part of that. My impressioni is both schools are very good, but then, I always feel a lot of it comes down to the individual teacher and what happens in the classroom. Do go by and call if you wish to learn more. Also, as someone said, go through the data that's online for both schools. There's a LOT available under the school's profiles.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 AM

Thank You Hilsmom and choff5 for the info/pointers..

Old 03-21-2011, 08:00 AM

Just a random question - could you consider other neighborhoods besides those 2? There are lots of good ones in the surrounding areas. We're considering Franklin Farm (Herndon address, but pretty far south of Herndon proper), which is just North of Fairfax on Fairfax County Parkway. A friend just moved to Penderbrook and her daughter will be attending Waples Mill in the fall. And there are some other communities just east of there that have good elementary schools.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 AM

Hi Hilsmom, Thanks.I l do ike the Penderbrook community ..looks family friendly and Waples Mill is great too but I think the MS is Lanier which doesnt have good comments in this forum. I am not saying I wont move into a new home in 6 years time but I wont like the idea of getting forced out of a home just because she is in MS and the MS School for our home is not that great. I know I am looking too far ahead ..lol..
Franklin Farm is a great area..I am watching homes on sale in that area. Though part of Franklin Farm goes to Lees Corner which has great ratings but somewhere in this forum, I read that it gets students from illegal immigrant families which again makes me a little scared.
Given everything, I like the Navy and Oak Hill ES but I dont see good homes in the area within my budget..lol!
This year the inventory is really very low..I am hoping it will pick up in April/May? Hope so..
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia