Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:39 PM

80 posts, read 227,735 times

Advertisements

OP, I've been in your shoes in many ways. I have two kids, one a special needs child, hubby is in the Navy and was gone more than he was home, and I had a dog (a puppy in my case) all at the same time. It's VERY hard for any child to adjust to their father being away - but especially hard for SN children. Honestly, having a puppy (I know you weren't specifically speaking about a puppy) while my husband was away was extremely trying. Could be that my dog was a handful, but either way it was one more "person" to take care of. I look back now and think maybe I should have considered a guinea pig. They still need lots of love and care, but not as much as a dog. (namely, you don't have to exercise it all of the time or do the pile pick up in the back yard) You will decide what's best for your family as you know it best - good luck to you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 AM

461 posts, read 909,766 times
We just got a standard poodle puppy from a breeder in WV. She also does poodle mixes. Our puppy is very cute and settling in. Either me or my husband have to get up every couple of hours and all that, and a puppy is a big commitment, yadda yadda yadda. Anyway, here is the breeder's website. It is a haul from DC, we went and stayed over night nearby when we picked up our little poodle.
LAWPDOODLE KENNEL

Old 03-25-2011, 06:58 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,376,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
I completely understand the financial differences between the two.
Sadly, most people do not and think that when they send money to the ASPCA or HSUS that they are helping animals in need in their own local area. They spend 20% and 24% of their income respectively on fund raising.

When one looks at their intense opposition to Oreo's Law one has to question their true agenda.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,455,817 times
haven't read all the posts but:

1. carefully select dogs and breeds that are great with kids and you will have great kids raised with great dogs. My kids are 8 and loved their old dog who we had before they were born, and now our new puppy. They are very helpful with her and spend alot of time each day with her (she's 6 months old now so we've had her 4 months and they have not waned in their love and attention to her. She's a lab, which I am convinced make THE best family dogs. Lots of babies and toddlers in the house? I wouldnt get the puppy until they are kindergarten age.

2. Much as I don't like to get on the bandwagon about pitbulls, if you get one from a shelter, you really don't know their history and I would not bring one into a family with young kids. I was just speaking to a contractor this morning about a fence and noticed he had a bandaged hand and wrist. Well turns out he was petting his neighbors new pit bull (2 days out of the shelter), petting him for about 10 mins while waiting for the school bus. School bus comes, brakes squeek and the dog clamps down on his wrist. Did major damage, thank god it wasn't a kids arm

Old 03-25-2011, 07:21 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,945,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I was just speaking to a contractor this morning about a fence and noticed he had a bandaged hand and wrist. Well turns out he was petting his neighbors new pit bull (2 days out of the shelter), petting him for about 10 mins while waiting for the school bus. School bus comes, brakes squeek and the dog clamps down on his wrist. Did major damage, thank god it wasn't a kids arm
That has everything to do with the individual dog, and not the fact that it was a pitbull. That wasn't aggression, that was fear--a huuuuuuge number of dogs are fearful, and to be honest the owner was kind of an idiot for taking a new dog to a school bus stop 2 days after getting it. The poor dog must have been terrified. Who knows if it had ever even seen a school bus before? He should have introduced the dog at a distance, not on the sidewalk next to a bus.

Heck, we kicked a golden retriever out of our dog training class this week for being too fear reactive (snarling and barking and lunging when stressed). No one would tell someone not to get a golden...

If you want resources on behaviorists for the pit, I have a great contact who is super experienced dealing with both bully breeds and over stimulation.

Would I go pick a random pit from the shelter and leave it alone in a room with kids? Heck no, never. Would I go get a random ANY dog and leave it alone with kids? Nope, not a chance. Would I talk to a shelter or rescue and work together to find a dog of any breed or mix who would work well with my individual family situation? ABSOLUTELY.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 928 times
Hi,
I have so much sympathy for you! I too come from a military family. We all have allergies, but love dogs! Also iut is hard to move with large, hairy dogs.

We also have children with special needs! Unfortuntly, we usually do not quailify for rescue dogs. We don't know when we will be restationed... Get new orders.

I just want to tell you that we have had to find reputable breeders. My brother just got a maltipoo from TN.

Because of our needs, we usually have to buy from a breeder. Schnauzer mixes are the best fit with our family. With the kids, they are a bit more hardy. We also have a schnauzer-yorkie. He is great with the kids, but more yippy with anything or anybody else. We have a schnauzer-bischion and he is great with everything. We have 2maltipoos. Tjey are great with everything, but very fragile.

My brother just got a maltipoo from a repituable breeder in TN.

Best wishs and prayers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia