U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,126 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I was wondering what school district would be better to work in as a teacher and send a child to, Arlington Public Schools or Fairfax Country School District? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
1,449 posts, read 2,807,611 times
Reputation: 471
I have many teacher friends who work for FCPS and send their children to school there. One brings her children to the school where she teaches instead of the neighborhood school - this is a nice perk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:08 AM
 
2,612 posts, read 4,766,585 times
Reputation: 3943
I think it depends on the specific schools and people involved. I don't think there are any general differences that make one district always better or worse than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:20 AM
 
7,968 posts, read 18,078,632 times
Reputation: 2593
For a student, the consensus of the forum seems to be that Fairfax County Public Schools as a whole are the "best" in the area while Arlington Public Schools, particularly in North Arlington, more than hold their own.

The question may be whether or not your kid(s) could go to the same district, let alone the same school, if you live out-of-county. I say this because, obviously not knowing your house situation, a teacher's salary will generally go further in Fairfax County than in Arlington. Neither are exactly inexpensive places to live, as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 AM
 
158 posts, read 330,988 times
Reputation: 54
I taught in Arlington pre-kids and it was a great place to work. One of the perks is that as a community employee, you have easier access to the daycare/preschool at the former Reed School in Westover. At least that was the case when I taught there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,113 posts, read 12,681,138 times
Reputation: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post

The question may be whether or not your kid(s) could go to the same district, let alone the same school, if you live out-of-county. I say this because, obviously not knowing your house situation, a teacher's salary will generally go further in Fairfax County than in Arlington. Neither are exactly inexpensive places to live, as it is.
If you live outside of Fairfax County and teach for FCPS, you cannot bring your child into the county with you unless you pay tuition, which is pricey.

If you live within the county, then you can pupil place your child in your building with the administrators' ok. That is pretty much rubber stamped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
1,449 posts, read 2,807,611 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If you live outside of Fairfax County and teach for FCPS, you cannot bring your child into the county with you unless you pay tuition, which is pricey.

If you live within the county, then you can pupil place your child in your building with the administrators' ok. That is pretty much rubber stamped.
one of my teacher friends teaches in reston and lives in ashburn. She was considering paying the out of district tuition for her son to attend full-day K at the school where she teaches, as Loudoun is all half-day K. She decided against it, but only because the private preschool where her son has been for the past 2 years has a private K program and he is already friendly with all the children there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 PM
 
4,711 posts, read 10,890,602 times
Reputation: 3774
Arlington County is in better fiscal shape than Fairfax County. That matters a lot if you work for them.

Fairfax County pay has been frozen for two (or is it three?) years now...with little hope for the foreseeable future. When (or if) COLAS, step increases, etc resume...the lost ground will never be made up.

Plus, I think Arlington has historically paid their teachers more anyway.

If money doesn't particularly matter...go for what's most convenient!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 PM
 
Location: Virginia
8,113 posts, read 12,681,138 times
Reputation: 3770
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Arlington County is in better fiscal shape than Fairfax County. That matters a lot if you work for them.

Fairfax County pay has been frozen for two (or is it three?) years now...with little hope for the foreseeable future. When (or if) COLAS, step increases, etc resume...the lost ground will never be made up.

Plus, I think Arlington has historically paid their teachers more anyway.

If money doesn't particularly matter...go for what's most convenient!
This report is often handy when comparing numbers/stats for districts:

http://www.fcps.edu/fs/budget/wabe/2011.pdf

The last pay raise for Fairfax Schools was in September '08. I don't know about Arlington. Arlington pays quite a bit more as you move up the salary scale (see p. 37 of the WABE report above).

Last edited by tgbwc; 03-24-2011 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
 
7,968 posts, read 18,078,632 times
Reputation: 2593
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
If you live outside of Fairfax County and teach for FCPS, you cannot bring your child into the county with you unless you pay tuition, which is pricey.

If you live within the county, then you can pupil place your child in your building with the administrators' ok. That is pretty much rubber stamped.
Thanks for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top