U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 09:38 AM

48 posts, read 98,870 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I'm in the running for a job at Bolling AFB. If I get it, I'll essentially be a geographical bachelor during the week and fly back home as often as I can on weekends, from Reagan National. It seems NoVa is the best area for me to relocate versus MD or DC proper.

I've read some of the other posts and came to the conclusion that public transport from NoVa to Bolling AFB is not practical - Anacostia station is not walking distance from Bolling and the neighborhood is frightfully bad.

I know driving is not too bad if you get to Bolling early, so trying to find a place in Alexandria (near Old Town) or Pentagon City. Everyone says Old Town is super expensive but there are a few new places on the outskirts that seem reasonably priced.

So, a short commute, proximity to Reagan National and a new-ish studio or 1br for somewhere around $1400-$1700/month is the target.

Any suggestions or alternatives to these two areas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
$1700 may score you a 1BR at the one of the apartments in the Carlyle neighborhood on the western edge of Old Town. They're newer apartments in a mixed-use area anchored by the Patent & Trademark Office.

Just south of Alexandria proper albeit with an "Alexandria" zipcode, $1700 could also get you in the somewhat older but still upscale Huntington Gateway. Your budget might even stretch further across the street at the renovating Riverside. A bit west on Huntington Avenue, I would predict that some of the units at the 3-4YO Midtown Alexandria condos are available for rent through their owners. Compared to quaint Old Town, the Huntington Avenue area is essentially suburbia.

RE: Pentagon City, it may be harder to find a place, especially newer, at your price point.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Thanks. What streets would Carlyle be? I found a new place at Ballenger and Holland. I hear good things about that area; lots of new construction near the PTO. My wife was saying that area was pretty dead but maybe that's no longer the case.

And you're right about Pentagon City - the one place I was looking at yesterday is already gone-!

Another poster was saying that area near Huntington, especially west of Rt 1, is kinda sketchy. Willing to go up a bit in price if it helps keep the riff-raff away.

What's the renovating Riverside? Not familiar with that.....

Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM

7,966 posts, read 18,044,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movinanshakin View Post
Thanks. What streets would Carlyle be? I found a new place at Ballenger and Holland. I hear good things about that area; lots of new construction near the PTO. My wife was saying that area was pretty dead but maybe that's no longer the case.
The place you're looking at is right in the middle. I believe the Carlyle neighborhood is bounded roughly by Duke Street to the north, Jamieson Avenue to the west, Holland Lane to the east and Eisenhower Avenue to the South. It's definitely among the newest construction in Alexandria. It may well be quiet in the evenings - haven't passed through there lately at night - but it's definitely safe and the rest of Old Town is nearby as well as a small retail area on Eisenhower including a movieplex.

Quote:
Another poster was saying that area near Huntington, especially west of Rt 1,is kinda sketchy. Willing to go up a bit in price if it helps keep the riff-raff away.

What's the renovating Riverside? Not familiar with that.....
All of the apartments I suggested are high-rises near the Beltway (I-495) that shouldn't cause you any issues. The concerns are more with the garden apartments further south. You'd be heading down that way anyhow for your typical midscale retail and restaurant needs...but you'll be fine in any of the high rises. That would include Belle Haven Towers which, while older, may even fall below your minimum budget. You'll also see the Montebello condos although I'd be pleasantly surprised if any were available for rent in your range.

The Riverside apartments have been undergoing renovations for the last few years. The upgraded units may be towards the high end of your budget while the unrenovated units may be somewhere in the middle. The older units are still likely to be nicer than Belle Haven Towers although perhaps not as much as Huntington Gateway.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,861,715 times
If schools don't matter and you're just looking for a 1BR, I'd explore living in some of the better parts of Prince George's, like Bowie, and flying from BWI.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM

Thought about that - may give it a look, thanks. Seems that most Bolling people prefer VA to MD, though - not sure why.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
The place you're looking at is right in the middle. I believe the Carlyle neighborhood is bounded roughly by Duke Street to the north, Jamieson Avenue to the west, Holland Lane to the east and Eisenhower Avenue to the South. It's definitely among the newest construction in Alexandria. It may well be quiet in the evenings - haven't passed through there lately at night - but it's definitely safe and the rest of Old Town is nearby as well as a small retail area on Eisenhower including a movieplex.
That looks like a good target area, thanks. The others, though cheaper, are riskier, based on other reviews I found. Car thefts and bad maintenance at Belle Haven Towers, etc. I guess you get what you pay for in Alexandria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia