U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-24-2011, 07:29 PM

885 posts, read 450,677 times
Default How's the Herndon Area????

Is it nice? Anything good around?

Will it be booming after the silver line being built?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 07:56 PM

1,419 posts, read 1,357,459 times
There is nothing wrong with Herndon - the downtown area is cute. Herndon does encompass a HUGE area though - I'm talking about the 2 zip codes with several distinct communities, not Herndon proper with the town hall. I live in Reston and occasionally follow the restonian blog - the blogger calls Herndon the anti-Reston, which I think is pretty fitting. I'm not really sure how to put it into words, they are just different.

One odd thing from my dealings with both towns is that the classes (the ones for kids anyway) at Reston Community Center fill up pretty much the day registration opens for Reston-only, and then I go to Herndon Community Center and can sign up as a non-resident pretty much until the classes start. Thus, we wind up taking more classes at Herndon because I just don't have any reason or motivation to go and be ultra-competitive about community center class spots for my kid.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

7,652 posts, read 11,036,363 times
It's basic suburbia. It's also part of the Dulles Tech Corridor so there is a fair amount of office parks located at its edge.

The Elden Street area is a bit infamous for the day laborers hanging out at its 7-11. Otherwise, it's a hodgepodge of apartments and shopping centers. There is a small quaint downtown area and a lot of the area off the main streets are nice as well.

I don't believe there is a Herndon stop planned for the Silver Line but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some indirect effect of increased population due to relative proximity.

Looking forward at your next comment, it would be the Orange Line that the Silver Line would be connecting to.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

885 posts, read 450,677 times
We're talking about Herndon and the silver line. Why does it have to always turn into a topic about your kids?

Anyways, where does the sivler line connects to? Does it connect to a station that switches to the Green Line?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:03 PM

7,652 posts, read 11,036,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
We're talking about Herndon and the silver line. Why does it have to always turn into a topic about your kids?

Anyways, where does the sivler line connects to? Does it connect to a station that switches to the Green Line?
There's no need to get snarky. I believe hilsmom was simply comparing Herndon and neighboring Reston, using her family experience as a specific example.

Have a problem with another member? Report the post, contact a moderator via Direct Message or click here to add them to your ignore list!

Are you in the real estate industry? Check this out!

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
There's no need to get snarky. I believe hilsmom was simply comparing Herndon and neighboring Reston, using her family experience as a specific example.
thank you, tone. Good grief, I was just trying to help, and my example was the only one I could think of to illustrate what I meant by different.

There is a silver line station planned at the current park and ride (Herndon/Monroe). It is not scheduled to open for some time though.

It is so hard to tell what "booming" will mean for the Dulles Toll Road area. It is suburbia, and I don't forsee Herndon putting up skyscrapers or anything. Several story office buildings, maybe.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM

18 posts, read 34,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
It's basic suburbia. It's also part of the Dulles Tech Corridor so there is a fair amount of office parks located at its edge.

The Elden Street area is a bit infamous for the day laborers hanging out at its 7-11. Otherwise, it's a hodgepodge of apartments and shopping centers. There is a small quaint downtown area and a lot of the area off the main streets are nice as well.

I don't believe there is a Herndon stop planned for the Silver Line but I wouldn't be surprised if there is some indirect effect of increased population due to relative proximity.

Looking forward at your next comment, it would be the Orange Line that the Silver Line would be connecting to.
There is a Herndon-Monroe station planned for Phase II-

http://www.dullesmetro.com/stations/herndon.cfm

The silver line will go into downtown DC as far as Stadium-Armory Station. The folks at East Falls Church and stations to the east should be excited because they will pick up 2-line service; orange and silver.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,864,155 times
Herndon has reserved some area around the Metro stop to be mixed-use like Reston Town Center, IIRC.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
Herndon has reserved some area around the Metro stop to be mixed-use like Reston Town Center, IIRC.
That should be interesting. Something that doesn't require a car to get to would be really nice.

BTW, I like your location of "Fake Virginia" - hadn't noticed it before, and it made me smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia