Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 10:42 AM

83 posts, read 195,340 times

Advertisements

I took a summer school class at a community college when I was in high school and it was a good experience. He'll still have plenty of time to veg out and sleep in. So if he's open to it, I'd encourage it. It will get him back on the track that admissions people expect, which can't hurt him.

I took calculus in high school and college and it was significantly harder in college -- in part because the professors were not the best teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:55 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,948,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I think it depends on whether he plans to major in a STEM program of study in college.

If he plans to go into the humanities, he may not need calculus whatsoever. If he plans to major in any form of a STEM program (or maybe just might major in STEM), he needs calculus in high school. (Without question.)
In 9th grade he may not yet know what he wants to do in college. So why not have him take Calculus in case he does want to go into a math, science or engineering program? If he later decides on humanities, no harm done but it doesn't work the other way.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:23 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Let him take it in high school. Tell him that the college-aged him with thank the high-school aged him that he was smart enough to take it when he was less busy, there were fewer distractions, and his other classes weren't as hard. Then he can come on here and thank all of us on city-data for pushing him to take it. ;-)

Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM

9 posts, read 17,065 times
As far as his summer being messed up, what exactly does that mean? What would he do in the summer if he did not take the math course? If it means not being able to sleep in every morning, and spending a little less time hanging with his friends at the pool and playing video games, then I think he'd be better off taking the math course.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:26 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh1961 View Post
As far as his summer being messed up, what exactly does that mean? What would he do in the summer if he did not take the math course? If it means not being able to sleep in every morning, and spending a little less time hanging with his friends at the pool and playing video games, then I think he'd be better off taking the math course.
You've got it. Exactly. It means that he can't sleep in and play his games. It will ruin his trip to see his grandparents over July 4th (they usually have a big family party out near Chincoteague) but that's certainly no deal breaker. He's a real smart boy but we do struggle with his lazy side.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:07 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
You've got it. Exactly. It means that he can't sleep in and play his games. It will ruin his trip to see his grandparents over July 4th (they usually have a big family party out near Chincoteague) but that's certainly no deal breaker. He's a real smart boy but we do struggle with his lazy side.
Surely NoVA offers afternoon or evening classes? Then he could still sleep in--it'd just be a couple hours a day in class. And he could still go out to Chincoteague on July 4th--there won't be classes over the holiday weekend!

I took a math class online through NoVA last summer to get some silly pre-req out of the way for a masters program. It didn't interrupt my summer at all. (It required a lot of self-motivation though).

Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
If he's gonna be in engineering, IT, science, or another major that is similar, he needs calculus and any advanced math he can get his hands on. If he's going into something like Business Management or Sociology even Accounting Algebra II would probably suffice.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
If he's gonna be in engineering, IT, science, or another major that is similar, he needs calculus and any advanced math he can get his hands on. If he's going into something like Business Management or Sociology even Accounting Algebra II would probably suffice.
Calculus was a requirement for my business degree, actually.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:37 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
You don't really need to know much of Calculus to succeed in great many engineering fields, I don't have statistics, but great many real life engineers never use anything more advanced than multiplication & such in their every day work. Just let your son know

Old 03-27-2011, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
You don't really need to know much of Calculus to succeed in great many engineering fields, I don't have statistics, but great many real life engineers never use anything more advanced than multiplication & such in their every day work. Just let your son know
That may be true, but every engineering field requires calculus in college, regardless of daily use after graduation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia