Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:02 PM

83 posts, read 195,395 times

Advertisements

Given that it's an anachronistic form of address for most of the country, I think your kids would be just as likely to encounter a negative reaction as a positive one. (I think you'd risk them sounding like they were being sarcastic or cheeky when in fact they were simply trying to be polite.) Your hesitation with the whole thing suggests that you're on the right track with your thinking.

However, this is sure to be one of the least important aspects of your parenting experience, so don't stress over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:05 PM

415 posts, read 449,601 times
This is what the you call a "culture shock"? Really...? Some people don't get around a lot.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:12 PM

2,136 posts, read 5,310,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borngrace View Post
Friends from early days are still first name to my children (as the adults choice) unless the adult is someone who has always prefered to be call by their title and last name - which I think should always be honored. When the kids were little I usually asked the adult how they wished to be addressed.
I agree. Let the adult lead. There are some older people in my life whom I would never dare to call by their first name - it just wouldn't seem right - but others who would never want to be called "Mrs. Smith" or whatever. I did a double take when one of my neighbor's kids, not a stranger, called me "Mrs. Murphy."

OTOH, I was raised by example (by a Southern mom, mostly living in the South) to call most non-family/friends sir or ma'am - especially people in a superior position of power. I think that partly stems from growing up poor and spending lots of time with people who outclass you (professionals, teachers, law enforcement, etc.) I definitely learned when I waited tables back home in Georgia during college summers that I didn't get tips if I didn't crank up the "sir/ma'am" and the accent.

My mom is a big believer in catching flies with honey instead of vinegar. Part of that work is not letting people know that you think of them as flies.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,445,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmont View Post
Given that it's an anachronistic form of address for most of the country, I think your kids would be just as likely to encounter a negative reaction as a positive one. (I think you'd risk them sounding like they were being sarcastic or cheeky when in fact they were simply trying to be polite.) Your hesitation with the whole thing suggests that you're on the right track with your thinking.

However, this is sure to be one of the least important aspects of your parenting experience, so don't stress over it.

I disagree that this is the "least important aspects of your parenting experience".

The morals, values and manners that you decide to pass to your children are very important. You must decide what is important to you: sticking with the traditional or going with the flow of culture.

I'm also fascinated by the different regional idiosyncrasies -- no top sheets?

Lastly, as long as we're on etiquette, the phrase I detest is "No problem" after thanking someone for service. I feel like screaming "I know it's no problem, it's your JOB!" The correct response is 'you're welcome'.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:21 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
I hated the ma'am/sir thing until I moved to the South and realized it's used totally differently in the South. But people who haven't been South won't understand that and are likely to take it offensively. If you want to teach something yes ma'am/yes sir like that's not actually using ma'am/sir which can be potentially offensive, you can always go for the yes Mr. ___/Ms. ___ solution. Some people don't like to be called Mr. or Ms. (myself included) but it's not nearly as risky as the ma'am thing and even though people don't always like it they're not likely to be outwardly offended by it the way they might be getting a sir/ma'am. For a lot of Northerners and even mid-Atlantic folks, the ma'am/sir thing still has connotations of slavery times even though that's totally NOT what it connotes in the South. So give the Mr./Ms. thing a shot and see how that goes. And of course you can also teach your children to mirror the people they're around. If they're ma'am/sir people then they can use it too, and if not, then they can just use yes and no.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:22 PM

83 posts, read 195,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I disagree that this is the "least important aspects of your parenting experience".

The morals, values and manners that you decide to pass to your children are very important. You must decide what is important to you: sticking with the traditional or going with the flow of culture.
Please note that I actually said it is one of the least important aspects.

Conflating whether or not a child address an elder as "Mr. Tom," "Mr. Murphy" or "Sir" as the teaching of morals and values is a stretch.

We're talking vernacular here -- not morals.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Ugh...I can't stand it when someone calls me "ma'am". It makes me feel like I'm 75 years old. I grew up in southern California and was a very polite child (and I think I'm a pretty polite adult now!), but I never said ma'am or sir--it was always "yes, please" or "no, thank you".

I know it's their job and they're doing it to be polite, but I haaaaate when the grocery store checkers ask, "Would you like help to your car, ma'am?" Then I feel like I look old AND decrepit!
Like you, my wife (from PA) does not like to be called "ma'am". My mother (from OH) doesn't like it either. Not exactly the same, but I remember my brother and I calling my mom "momma" once when I we were little kids. We were being a little annoying with it saying, "Momma...momma". Boy, did she go off on us for that! I've had a few children in school say "yes sir" and that doesn't bother me at all. I expect my own son to say "yes" instead of "uh huh" and "yes please"...

Old 03-25-2011, 02:24 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,459,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmont View Post

It might also seem like a red flag to some people. For example, in D.C. where it's not used so much, if someone called me ma'am/sir (I get called both genders) without a really obviously Southern or military background, I would wonder if I was being too bossy or with kids, if I was being too cold and authoritarian. So I'd be worried about if I was doing something wrong if I got sir/ma'am treatment from a Northerner.

I wouldn't take offense to it now, though, but I can only say that now because I've lived in the South where they were just natural tags on the end of yes and no in many situations. I still hear a lot of miss/sir usage (notice the miss and not ma'am) up North in customer service interactions, but up North it tends to be one-way whereas down South it tends to be a two-way usage.

It does get annoying to me when people overdo it though. There was this one guy that every time my mom said something would say "yes ma'am" not once but like three or four times in a row. Lol I felt like all I could hear come out of his mouth was ma'am ma'am ma'am ma'am...

Old 03-25-2011, 02:27 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,228,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
Lastly, as long as we're on etiquette, the phrase I detest is "No problem" after thanking someone for service. I feel like screaming "I know it's no problem, it's your JOB!" The correct response is 'you're welcome'.
Several other languages use the equivalent of "it's nothing", "don't think of it", "think nothing of it", or "no problem" meant as a humble response to thanks.

de rein (of nothing)
de nada (of nothing)
kein Problem (no problem)

Language has many utterances that aren't meant to taken absolutely literally.

Perhaps the use of "no problem" in English is a result of language borrowing.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Whatever phrase you choose, so much is interpreted from tone of voice. If you want to teach children to express respect, teach them to be aware of their tone of voice. You can use all sorts of words and convey respect if your tone is respectful. That's a very handy skill to give a child.

I think cdmurphy hit the nail on the head. Using respectful phrases is not about being "less than." I like how you put it, you catch more flies with honey, and you catch even more if you don't let people know you think of them as flies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia