Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:36 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
I disagree that this is the "least important aspects of your parenting experience".

The morals, values and manners that you decide to pass to your children are very important. You must decide what is important to you: sticking with the traditional or going with the flow of culture.

I'm also fascinated by the different regional idiosyncrasies -- no top sheets?

Lastly, as long as we're on etiquette, the phrase I detest is "No problem" after thanking someone for service. I feel like screaming "I know it's no problem, it's your JOB!" The correct response is 'you're welcome'.
I have to ask. What are top sheets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I have to ask. What are top sheets?
As opposed to fitted (bottom) sheets, I think?

Old 03-25-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Today, since I work in a military environment (but I'm not military), I use these addresses on the telephone, but not face-to-face. I use it because it's part of the culture (I also never noticed so much door-holding for others until I worked among the military). I do not use it outside of work.
Lol I just noticed this too! I just moved back up from NC about 6 weeks ago and I realized wow, people in D.C. don't hold doors open for each other nearly as much as in the Charlotte area. I hadn't noticed that before till I had a frame of comparison. I almost feel like an idiot holding doors open for people as much as I do now, lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
As opposed to fitted (bottom) sheets, I think?
What kind of sheets? Bed sheets, sheets of paper? That's what I'm confused about.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:52 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I almost feel like an idiot holding doors open for people as much as I do now, lol.
No no, you are not an idiot at all. You're charming a lot of people that way, especially since it's not always the norm. This is another one of those little habits that can really impress people at unexpected, advantageous times. Just make sure you hold it open for both women and men so it comes across as manners, not as sexist.

I once knew somebody who got a job because earlier in the day he offered someone a seat on the metro. Then he went to the job interview and the interviewer happened to be on the train and remembered seeing him do it.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
No no, you are not an idiot at all. You're charming a lot of people that way, especially since it's not always the norm. This is another one of those little habits that can really impress people at unexpected, advantageous times. Just make sure you hold it open for both women and men so it comes across as manners, not as sexist.

I once knew somebody who got a job because earlier in the day he offered someone a seat on the metro. Then he went to the job interview and the interviewer happened to be on the train and remembered seeing him do it.
Any manners I use are always across all genders. If I use sir I make sure to use ma'am too. (That one gets a lot of one-sided use here.) I hold doors open for people regardless of age, sex, etc.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

I got a job impressing the manager completely unbeknownst to me once too so I do know the power and value in that. I just also get a lot of "wow are you holding the door open for...me?" looks too lol.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:29 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,441,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
I think you have to do what you are comfortable with. My friend from Mississippi who I met here in Vienna taught her children to say sir or ma'am. I would always hear her correcting them. (Slight aside about regional differences - one time my friend told about an encouter she had with a stranger and how he was so ugly. I was appalled that she was so shallow and was judging this person on his looks. I didn't learn until later that she meant he was acting rudely. I never heard "ugly" used in that manner, but apparently it's common "down south.")

Another related question is what do you have your children call your friends? Is it Bob and Sue? Mr. Bob and Mrs. Sue? Mr. Smith and Mrs. Smith? That seems to be regional, too. My whole family are New Yorkers and all my parents' friends were "Carol and Tom; Rita and David, etc." When our family moved to Pennsylvania it was totally different - everyone was "Mr. and Mrs. Levy; Mr. and Mrs. Karp, etc." It wasn't until I became an adult that I was allowed to call them by their first name, and it was difficult to switch. I still call all of my parents' New York friends by their first names and our PA friends by their last names. We also didn't use top sheets (a New York thing?), which I'm sure would appal our Southern friends, but that's another story for a different day. ;-)

This is the quote I was referring to about "top sheets". I assume he meant bed linens -- only a fitted bottom sheet and a blanket directly on the top! Sounded odd to me.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:44 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
I'm a she. :-) Yes, I meant sheets for the bed. My mom said everyone she knew in NYC anyway just used a bottom sheet and a duvet (although she said they were not classy enough to call it a "duvet" it was a quilt cover). When my family moved to PA (late 1960s), my mom said "what is this top sheet?" I knew some southerners would be appalled.

Back on topic, I agree with Caladium that the tone makes all the difference regardless of what you say.

Another consideration would be if you plan to move back down south. If so, it might be a good idea to enforce the "sir/ma'am" thing now so it's natural when you move back. My friend moved back to Mississippi, and she said she had to work hard to get her kids to say it even though they introduced it up here, she insisted upon it down there because it's expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
[/color]

This is the quote I was referring to about "top sheets". I assume he meant bed linens -- only a fitted bottom sheet and a blanket directly on the top! Sounded odd to me.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:50 PM

206 posts, read 432,301 times
These words are so overused in the south that they're basically meaningless. It just sounds very "fake" or insincere to me when people use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia