Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 01:48 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

I believe this topic is only supposed to be discussed on the official reckless driving thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:41 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Ever notice when someone's going a bazillion mph over the limit, 9 times out of 10 they have MD plates?
Nope. I've seen that from drivers from many states, including Virginia.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:12 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
If this is happening then you should not even be in the left lane. You need to be more observant of someone coming up behind you and move over.
This is what people are no doubt assuming as they swerve into the right lane to pass me - does it never occur to anyone that one frequently ends up in the left lane due to merges and lane shifts without actually wanting to be there? And it's not like I'm not trying to move over as soon as possible - just hard to do with a line of speeding cars zooming past at 85 miles an hour.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:01 AM

12 posts, read 14,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Ever notice when someone's going a bazillion mph over the limit, 9 times out of 10 they have MD plates?
I noticed this 11 times out of 10 the speeders are from Mary-Land.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Some observations:

1.) If there was one thing that irked me about NoVA drivers the most it was coming up behind people who were just "hanging out" in the left lane. It's one thing if you're doing 75 in a 65 in the left lane and are being tailgated (at which point you should still move to the right-hand lane to let the leadfoot person around you), but I constantly would come up to people doing at or slightly BELOW the speed limit in the left lane. There were so many people there who wanted to play "vigilante traffic cop". My commute along Route 7 between North Reston and McLean was dreadful, as people who were going to be turning left onto Lewinsville Road MILES down the roadway would get into the left lane as early as Baron Cameron Avenue and then just poke along. Here in PA people (for the most part) are MUCH better about moving over to the right if they see someone approaching them from behind in the left lane.

2.) If you're "always keeping your eyes on the road ahead of you" then you are a BAD driver! I was taught in drivers' education to always be scanning my mirrors to get an idea of what, if any, vehicles were in lanes beside me or behind me as well as in front of me. Why? Let's assume I'm in the middle lane of a six-lane divided highway (three lanes in each direction). A deer jumps out into the road from the woods on the right. If I'm aware of my surroundings I'll know that there is a car dangerously near my left-rear fender, attempting to pass me, and a free and open lane on the right. I hit the brakes and veer to the right, out of harm's way. The car on the left probably splatters the poor creature, but at least I'm safe. If I was just "always keeping my eyes ahead of me" I'd instinctually veer to the left, clipping the front of the car that was about to pass me and causing a terrible accident as that car will "pit maneuver" me and hit me right in the driver's side door. I've driven well over 100,000 miles thus far in my lifetime and have only been in one accident, which also wasn't my fault (rear-ended by an SUV at a red light). When someone is just "hanging out" in the left lane for miles I assume they're not checking their mirrors at all, so I gun it to pass them on the right to get as far away from them as possible.

3.) Turn signals aren't just a "suggestion". If you don't use your blinker and turn/merge in front of me, then I will lay on my horn for a full five seconds. Don't like it? Use your signal! I was constantly blaring my horn back in NoVA at people who refused to use turn signals. It's amazing such an affluent area where so many people owned BMWs and Lexuses that so few of those vehicles ironically came equipped with turn signals. I'd expect turn signals to be installed on my vehicle if I spent $40,000 for it.

4.) What is it with the cops in NoVA NOT ticketing people just "hanging out" in the left lane, yet they'd ticket casual speeders very aggressively? In PA (and most other states, presumably also Virginia) there are signs posted all over the place on major roadways that say things like "Slower Traffic Keep Right", "Pass Left, Stay Right", "Left Lane for Passing Only", etc. In these states one could be ticketed for just dawdling along in the left lane (and I've seen this occur before). Why is Virginia so behind the times on this? If it's due to inefficient manpower, then raise taxes. It's not like most people in NoVA can't afford them when everyone I knew down there spent money like it was going out of fashion.

5.) Don't call me "racist" because of these observations. While it's true many foreigners are responsible for not knowing our traffic laws here there were just as many elderly and middle-aged native drivers as well who didn't signal or who "hogged" the left lane. My generation may be wicked when it comes to texting/chatting behind the wheel, but at least we largely use our turn signals and generally don't "hang out" in the left lane.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:54 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,229,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's amazing such an affluent area where so many people owned BMWs and Lexuses that so few of those vehicles ironically came equipped with turn signals. I'd expect turn signals to be installed on my vehicle if I spent $40,000 for it.

Ha! I often have the same thought as bolded. Plenty of times I'm stopped at a light, preparing to turn left, there's a car facing me, no signal on (mine is on, though), light turns green, and what happens? Well, I wait because I expect the facing car to come forward. But it sits there... do I wait? Do I go? What's it doing? Then they turn left once it's clear of cars in the lane to the right of me that were proceeding through the intersection. And often it's the most expensive cars. No sense of courtesy to other drivers, they're oblivious.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:50 AM

23 posts, read 54,923 times
"Ever notice when someone's going a bazillion mph over the limit, 9 times out of 10 they have MD plates?"

Yes, this is so true. I don't know why....but very true.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Some observations:

3.) Turn signals aren't just a "suggestion". If you don't use your blinker and turn/merge in front of me, then I will lay on my horn for a full five seconds. Don't like it? Use your signal! I was constantly blaring my horn back in NoVA at people who refused to use turn signals. It's amazing such an affluent area where so many people owned BMWs and Lexuses that so few of those vehicles ironically came equipped with turn signals. I'd expect turn signals to be installed on my vehicle if I spent $40,000 for it.

4.) What is it with the cops in NoVA NOT ticketing people just "hanging out" in the left lane, yet they'd ticket casual speeders very aggressively? In PA (and most other states, presumably also Virginia) there are signs posted all over the place on major roadways that say things like "Slower Traffic Keep Right", "Pass Left, Stay Right", "Left Lane for Passing Only", etc. In these states one could be ticketed for just dawdling along in the left lane (and I've seen this occur before). Why is Virginia so behind the times on this? If it's due to inefficient manpower, then raise taxes. It's not like most people in NoVA can't afford them when everyone I knew down there spent money like it was going out of fashion.

5.) Don't call me "racist" because of these observations. While it's true many foreigners are responsible for not knowing our traffic laws here there were just as many elderly and middle-aged native drivers as well who didn't signal or who "hogged" the left lane. My generation may be wicked when it comes to texting/chatting behind the wheel, but at least we largely use our turn signals and generally don't "hang out" in the left lane.

Only going to address the issues I placed in bold. First. You criticize those who don't signal and respond with your own form of a traffic violation. Same punishment as those who don't signal. As a retired LEO I can tell you that there are a few dead people in Va alone who were shot after doing what you brag about doing. Whether the other drivers are right or wrong doesn't matter. If you honk at the wrong driver you may find yourself at the wrong end/side of a very unstable person armed with a gun.

The part about officers not writing left lane drivers. This is a tough one to enforce compared to speeding. You might be surprised how many police officers are really out on the street at one time for a jurisdiction. Those running radar are actually few in number while the majority are running calls for service such as accidents, burglaries, thefts and such. I tell friends of mine how many officers are working at one time in PWC and shock is the typical response.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:56 PM

313 posts, read 551,730 times
It's a reckless driving ticket going 80 mph no matter what? Seems like a bull**** rule. I like the reckless driving for anything 20mph above the speed limit. Too easy to go 80 mph on 70mph roads...Especially long stretches of 95.

Last edited by Badger21; 03-29-2011 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 03-30-2011, 02:49 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger21 View Post
It's a reckless driving ticket going 80 mph no matter what? Seems like a bull**** rule. I like the reckless driving for anything 20mph above the speed limit. Too easy to go 80 mph on 70mph roads...Especially long stretches of 95.

No. It's not automatically Reckless. Plenty of people receive speeding tickets for going 80 or above. It's the officers discretion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia