U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 09:50 AM

6,582 posts, read 10,885,792 times

Advertisements

I've decided that I will no longer give advice to help anyone charged with reckless driving speeding 80 and over. My drive from Manassas to Front Royal and back daily is done on I 66. I will set my speed at around 72-73 but all too often I will have idiots pass me like I'm standing still, especially in the afternoons on nice weather days. There is no way on God's green earth anyone can convince me that don't know when they are doing at least 80 plus. These people that usually fly by me are in some pretty nice cars so one would presume they can better afford the tickets. Best of luck with the Reckless Driving tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 10:31 AM

13 posts, read 31,906 times
Long time lurker - first time poster. I have to say that I agree with you. I frequently set my speed to around the same range and have the exact same thing happen to me. Honestly, I can't say that I feel bad when people get recklesses for doing that. It's completely unsafe - what if some kind of animal happened to run out onto the highway? Dumba****.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:09 PM

2,710 posts, read 6,261,438 times
I thought the speed limit on I66 past Manassas was raised to 70. Going 80 would only be 10 over, yes still "illegal" but not reckless IMO. I66 has high visibility so going that fast you still have a lot of time to react so long as you're paying attention to the road.

It'd be great if the people in the left lane would move over though.

Old 03-26-2011, 05:57 PM

291 posts, read 495,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I thought the speed limit on I66 past Manassas was raised to 70.
My husband just told me about this as I was not aware. I was wondering why in the other thread where the guy was saying he made it from Bristow to Winchester in 50 mins. and I couldn't believe it. Now I see why. I still don't drive that fast and I do stay in the right lane. Everyone else can fly past me - I don't care. I know I will NOT be getting a reckless.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:58 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,077,317 times
Ever notice when someone's going a bazillion mph over the limit, 9 times out of 10 they have MD plates?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
I thought the speed limit on I66 past Manassas was raised to 70. Going 80 would only be 10 over, yes still "illegal" but not reckless IMO. I66 has high visibility so going that fast you still have a lot of time to react so long as you're paying attention to the road.

It starts 70 as soon as you pass the RT 15 overpass. I agree that doing 80 in a 70 zone is not Reckless, road/traffic conditions considered, but many troopers will write Reckless no matter what. And by law they have the right. My issue is the people speeding knowing this law. This is one law that everyone seems to know is on the books yet they take their chances anyway.
66 is a nice road but there are some curves/hills and miles and miles of woods along the road. There was a Deer kill the other day on 66 that was one of the worse I'd ever seen. I didn't see the vehicle that hit it but the Deer was spread out so far with the road covered in unbelievable amounts of blood.
I see most people getting out of the left lane but there are some who do camp in the left lane and will not move for anyone. Usually they are senior citizens or foreign drivers but not always.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:24 AM

10,606 posts, read 12,130,459 times
I know it depends a lot on your car and, if you're driving a BMW or Mercedes, maybe no big deal, but whenever I get to 80 in either of my cars which are Toyota's I start to feel like I'm losing some handling and I immediately slow down. I think for the most part, 80 mph on any road for most people/most cars is reckless.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:53 AM

2,675 posts, read 4,534,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Ever notice when someone's going a bazillion mph over the limit, 9 times out of 10 they have MD plates?
Yes, I have. And I've also noticed they are a disproportionate number of those cutting in and out of lanes, not using signals, etc.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:39 PM

2,612 posts, read 4,765,944 times
Quote:

Well, I'd move over, but it's hard to do when all the reckless speedsters can't wait two seconds for me to do so, but go zooming around me on the right instead, even though I have my signal on and clearly want to get over.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Well, I'd move over, but it's hard to do when all the reckless speedsters can't wait two seconds for me to do so, but go zooming around me on the right instead, even though I have my signal on and clearly want to get over.

If this is happening then you should not even be in the left lane. You need to be more observant of someone coming up behind you and move over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia