U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 11:56 AM

493 posts, read 1,009,982 times

Advertisements

In the near future, I'll have to get a new (or new-to-me) car, and the plates on my current car are 11 years old -- if the dealership or seller can even get them off my car, they'll look horrible on the next car. Not that I'm vain or anything, but really--who wants plates looking like that?

A couple of months ago, when I had to pay the DMV registration/inspection fees, there was an option to get new plates, but I didn't do it.

How easy is it to do now? Anybody know the cost?

And when I try to get new plates, will I be able to keep my current license plate number, or does the DMV trash that and issue me a new one? (The current one isn't a vanity plate, but I've just gotten to the point where I remember what it is, in case somebody calls it over a store loudspeaker!)

(Pls don't make me call the DMV...!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:19 PM

393 posts, read 1,091,629 times
I just recently got new vanity tags. The cost was pro-rated. My old tags were due to expire in July. I got the new tags in January, so I had to pay 7 months worth of tags, or $5. Of course, if you get the more decorative style of tag, it will cost more. I don't know if you can transfer your current tag number to the new tags. Maybe you can find the answer at DMV's Web site: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,887,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
...A couple of months ago, when I had to pay the DMV registration/inspection fees, there was an option to get new plates, but I didn't do it.

How easy is it to do now? Anybody know the cost?

And when I try to get new plates, will I be able to keep my current license plate number, or does the DMV trash that and issue me a new one? (The current one isn't a vanity plate, but I've just gotten to the point where I remember what it is, in case somebody calls it over a store loudspeaker!)

(Pls don't make me call the DMV...!)

Had you opted for new plates when you renewed a couple of months ago....they would not have issued new plates with the same number. That only happens with reserved (aka vanity, personalized, etc) plates.

If you now want a new set of your current (non-reserved) plates made...DMV will do it, HOWEVER your plate number will then be considered a reserved tag and will cost you $10 extra EVERY year.

If you decide to do that, have the dealer transfer your current plates to the new car and then you can apply to have a new set of your current plates made.

If you decide that keeping your current number is not worth paying extra for....just tell the dealer to NOT transfer your current plate and issue you new ones (you can apply for a partial refund on the current plates you renewed recently).

Old 03-26-2011, 10:46 PM

493 posts, read 1,009,982 times
Car54:

OK, thanks!
I'm going the 2nd route: I don't want to pay even MORE to the DMV, so I'll ask the dealer to issue me new plates.
Drivers whose cars have the temporary paper plates: Are they waiting for vanity plates? Or are they waiting for the plates that the dealer is handling for them? I'm confused as to whether the DMV gives a supply of plates to dealerships or just the "reserve" paper ones.

Also, the partial refund on the plates sounds good -- perhaps the dealer would tell me about that, but thanks for the early heads-up!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:50 AM

2,710 posts, read 6,260,466 times
When I bought a new car in 2004, they just transferred the plates to my new vehicle. Since I traded in my old car, they just moved my plates over. I don't remember there being an extra cost for it, but it was so long ago. A year or two ago I got a notice that since I had my plates for over 10yrs, that I could get new plates for no charge. This was in case my plates were faded or beat up. My plates looked fine, but I did go with vain personality plates.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:33 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,887,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
...Drivers whose cars have the temporary paper plates: Are they waiting for vanity plates? Or are they waiting for the plates that the dealer is handling for them? I'm confused as to whether the DMV gives a supply of plates to dealerships or just the "reserve" paper ones.

Yes, many dealers are given a supply of the basic permanent license plates to issue to car buyers.

The paper temp plates are issued if the customer wants any of the optional or vanity plates.....OR if a customer does not want to pay the dealer a several hundred dollar "processing fee" to handle the DMV business for them. (I fall into the latter category)

Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM

628 posts, read 1,726,358 times
Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,780 times
i just bought a car and got a paper license plate when do i get my license plate or what do i have to do to get it

Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times
Quote:
If you now want a new set of your current (non-reserved) plates made...DMV will do it, HOWEVER your plate number will then be considered a reserved tag and will cost you $10 extra EVERY year.

No they won't. I had my 18 year old plates replaced with the identical numbers. They charged a one time fee as if replacing a lost plate.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:11 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,181,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
No they won't. I had my 18 year old plates replaced with the identical numbers. They charged a one time fee as if replacing a lost plate.
That's what I was just going to say after reading this thread. My plates were dirt old too and I wanted new ones. I told the DMV I wanted to replace my old plates and they charged the one time fee (I don't even remember but it wasn't too much) and I got new plates within like a week or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia