Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM

31 posts, read 76,366 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to a new neighborhood in the Brambleton/Ashburn area and need to have a fence installed in our back yard. We only have direct experience with Long Fence and it wasn't the best experience. I'm interested in any suggestions for a good, solid fencing company that won't overcharge and knows how to properly architect a stable (wooden) fence that will pass the HOA muster. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:45 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
You might try Carter Fence; they are based in Dunn Loring but include Loudoun in their service area. They are a family-owned business and get good reviews for quality, though I don't know how their prices compare to other area fencing companies.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 AM

127 posts, read 355,769 times
We used Carter Fence. I asked 7 companies for quotes and only received 3 replies. Mike Carter replied within 2 days, drove by the house to look at it and gave me a quote the same day. There was one company that was cheaper but I'm glad we went with Carter. The fence looks great and seems very sturdy, even with a large dog trying to catch squirrels...

Old 01-26-2011, 09:56 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,317 times
You may want to search the forum as this has been discussed previously

Old 01-26-2011, 10:00 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
I have a subscription to Consumer Checkbook and I did a check for your area. I chose companies with the highest ratings for Quality and Price based on consumers ratings. Not saying that this is the best as I've never used them but I have had good luck so far using Consumer Checkbook. They do work in Loudoun according to the site. I can't get everything to line up right with the cut and paste but it was rated high. If you call them tell them you got their info off Consumer Checkbook. I'm sure they will want to keep the good rating knowing that their customer is a member, even though you aren't.

1.Lions Fence
5746 Union Mill Rd
Clifton, VA 20124
703-395-8962
Arlington Co.
Alexandria
Fairfax Co.
Loudoun Co.
Prince William Co.
24 ratings88%$86*

Old 01-26-2011, 10:06 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
About eight years ago, we used HalCo in Sterling. They were significantly cheaper than the Long estimate and did a great job!

Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Thanks everyone for the good advice. Our Schnauzers thank you as well.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:07 PM

127 posts, read 355,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshorey View Post
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Our Schnauzers thank you as well.
That's why we got our fence! (the squirrels are not thanking us...)

Old 01-26-2011, 04:00 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,724,246 times
We just had a fence built using Lions. The owner is nice and returns phone calls, and to his credit, he's had his crew come back out well after we paid, to fix things that were wrong. So he's an honest guy. That said, I have issues with their work. The fence looks great *now*--but they used the wrong kind of nails (electroplated galvanized, rather than hot-dipped galvanized)--so that some have tiny spots of rust already. They also nicked a few branches on some small trees. And they used a small *chainsaw* to make their cuts, instead of a circular saw. So some of the edges are kind of chewed-up looking.

That said, they were $1000 cheaper than the quote from Arlington Fence. Lions charges the same for cedar or for pressure-treated pine (PTP), and they included disposal, unlike AF.

I wouldn't pay another $1000 for higher quality, but if there were a company that would do everything exactly right for 200-300 more, I'd be tempted.

Whoever you use, I would make sure they use lagged, hot-dipped nails (or even better, screws) and set the fence posts in gravel or at the very least wet concrete mix (not drymix dumped into the hole with no water). Also make sure they measure between posts and not just use the old post holes, because the latter might not be evenly spaced. And you should insist they use some type of lumber saw and not a chainsaw.

Let me also advise that you definitely want at least cedar runners (the boards that join all the upright boards). A few years ago (in another house) we had a fence built with PTP, and the boards started to warp within 4 years or so. I believe that everybody uses PTP posts because cedar posts would have to be treated below ground, and Douglas fir is expensive.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-26-2011 at 04:09 PM..

Old 03-23-2011, 02:30 PM

We ended up using Carter Fencing and they did a great job. Our fence is quite sturdy and looks much nicer than the fence installed by "Lions" down the street. They are now giving quotes to our neighbors as well as we're in a new neighborhood. Plenty of new customers. Halco's quote was almost double in price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia