Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 14,289 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I will be relocating to Northern Virginia in a few months to be closer to my boyfriend. I am currently applying to jobs and will not move until I have secured a good job, but I am starting to look around for possible places to live. I want to rent for at least a year and am interested in finding a small townhouse or ground floor apartment with a small yard or grassy area for my two cats. Most of the places that I have found closer to DC are high rise apartments and so I have started looking in the Fairfax/ Vienna area. My price range is anything $ 1300 or below a month. Is it reasonable to think that I will find a one bedroom townhouse/ apartment with a yard for that price? Does anyone know of any areas that meet my criteria? Are there any good long term rental realtor websites that I could look at? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 06:40 PM

274 posts, read 708,537 times
Mako,

That's going to be tight for this area, and certainly not towards Vienna. In the Fair Oaks/Chantilly area, I found nothing below $1500 two weeks ago, but that was 2BR/2BA. Your best bet would definitely be apartment/condo rather than TH w/yard I would think. I will probably have a ground floor condo on the market in June for around $1350 (1BR1BA) in Herndon, but it won't have a grassy yard.

Keep on Craigslist, those listings are sometimes below market. Homesdatabase.com feeds listings from the local MLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako411 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I will be relocating to Northern Virginia in a few months to be closer to my boyfriend. I am currently applying to jobs and will not move until I have secured a good job, but I am starting to look around for possible places to live. I want to rent for at least a year and am interested in finding a small townhouse or ground floor apartment with a small yard or grassy area for my two cats. Most of the places that I have found closer to DC are high rise apartments and so I have started looking in the Fairfax/ Vienna area. My price range is anything $ 1300 or below a month. Is it reasonable to think that I will find a one bedroom townhouse/ apartment with a yard for that price? Does anyone know of any areas that meet my criteria? Are there any good long term rental realtor websites that I could look at? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2011, 07:55 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Another website to check out for rentals is militarybyowner.com

Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 PM

248 posts, read 700,634 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

You could try moving in with your boyfriend. I'm not sure what his living situation is, but it would make a lot of sense for you financially. Two of you splitting the rent would drop your likely rent to the $700-$900 range. A good friend of mine did this to test if he was ready for marriage too.

Of course, this is blantantly assuming that this is possible. For all I know, he could be a state away and my idea might not apply. I chose DC over Cali or Colorado for reasons of being able to drive back to my hometown, which is two states away.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
It will be difficult to find a place in that price range, adding the fact you have two pets will make it even more difficult.
You will find most places in your price range less than desireable.
Best bet get a townhouse if you can that will allow 2 cats, then find someone that will be willing to rent a room from you providing you find someone that likes cats.
I went through this process with 2 dogs so I speak from experience.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 AM

3 posts, read 14,289 times
Thanks for the responses. I am going to start looking for ground floor apartment/ condos instead of townhouses to stay more in my price range. I just need that grassy yard which makes it hard. If anyone can think of an apartment complex where there is lots of grassy/ wooded areas and ground floor apartments let me know. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
There is a place in Falls Church that is pet friendly that has apartments. It's called Tysons Glen. We rented there about 10 years ago. It's not a bad place and is probably in your price range. I think there was a dog park there, too.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:35 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,616,343 times
You can find one bedroom and two bedroom townhouses for $1300 sometimes even $1200 people say they arnt out there but they are. When I was looking at condos for rent last summer (didnt like the first one I moved into at worldgate condos, I would definatly steer clear of there) I found a really nice two beroom condo in the Newgate neighborhood of Centreville with a small fenced in yard and shed for $1200 I decided to go against it because I fell in love with the current one bedroom condo I found for $1250. The townhouse was nice but older and not as modern as the condo I found and the neighborhood was not bad but a bit less desierable.

Bottom line I am trying to say is dont give up on your search for a townhouse at that price in these areas (western Fairfax County) they are out there (also try looking in Sterling) but you will find more condos at that price point that are a bit nicer and modern.

And as far as the $1350 for the one bed room the agent talked about.. that is about right but you can find cheaper, my first one in this area (like I said I would not recommend the place) was 810 sq ft and $1025. And my current is 950 sq ft, 2 levels and $1250 PM me if you have questions, Ill try to help!

and btw I also have 2 cats!

Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Old 03-28-2011, 07:38 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Kingstowne and Manchester Lakes might be a place to look for 1 BR condos under $1300. There are several condo complexes with only 3 or 4 levels with ground level units that open to the outdoors, not a hallway.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:39 AM

92 posts, read 233,173 times
I lived in University Heights in Ashburn a few years ago. It wasn't a bad place to live...they allow cats/dogs(you will pay more) and the ground floor apts open up to a common yard area and there is a pool. It was a decent cheaper place 3-4 yrs ago but I don't know what it is like now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia