U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 04:33 PM

65 posts, read 233,440 times

Advertisements

I have a conundrum. I need 4 tires per a local "Chained" tire dealer and he said that I would fail Virginia inspection if all 4 tires are not replaced. My issue is I can't afford 4 tires right now. I was able to get 2 tires this month but can't afford to get the other 2 until next month and by that time my sticker will be expired.

My question is: Does anyone know of a inspection place I could go to get my inspection where the inspector would pass me until I am able to get my other tires. I got a second opinion by a friend and he says the tires are ok but you never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM

9,738 posts, read 8,038,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtoncommuter View Post
I have a conundrum. I need 4 tires per a local "Chained" tire dealer and he said that I would fail Virginia inspection if all 4 tires are not replaced. My issue is I can't afford 4 tires right now. I was able to get 2 tires this month but can't afford to get the other 2 until next month and by that time my sticker will be expired.

My question is: Does anyone know of a inspection place I could go to get my inspection where the inspector would pass me until I am able to get my other tires. I got a second opinion by a friend and he says the tires are ok but you never know.
If they are legitimatly bad, the inspection station is obligated to "fail" your car. You will have 15 days to fix the issue. There are plenty of places where you can get some cheap "used" tires that would get you through until you can afford new tires.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:42 PM

504 posts, read 1,024,957 times
If you have a full-size spare, put it on. Buy two new and also keep the best of the current 4. At least you will show having 3 good tires?

P.S. Of course you will need to have it inspected elsewhere, not at the tire store that wants you to buy 4 tires from them...

Old 03-27-2011, 04:48 PM

206 posts, read 380,830 times
A tire dealer says you need new tires? Imagine that.

Get a second opinion. I always choose a place that has nothing or little to gain by failing my car. While it's under warranty, the dealer. After that, a gas station with limited services.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM

10,830 posts, read 26,360,162 times
Have you comparison shopped tires for your vehicle with a company like Tire Rack? Sometimes, you can get good deals, even with installation and shipping. I have used Tire Rack for regular and seasonal tires, having the dealer install them for me, but the prices I have paid are much less than comparable offerings at the dealership or tire stores. Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

There are also some used tire stores where you can get serviceable tires to help you pass inspection, and last a couple of months until you can get all new tires. The used tire place I used to pass all the time in Arlington has closed, IIRC, and I don't know if they moved to another location. It was called Guaranteed Used Tires on Wilson Boulevard, near the Silver Diner.

There's another used tire store on Eisenhower Avenue in Alexandria that I recall seeing, called Beltway Tire. Weber Tire in Fairfax might also have used tires, not sure about that, so I would call first. While not ideal, it will help to get you passed on inspection, but only if you need to have the tires done.

Take the car to an honest independent shop or gas station, especially one that performs inspections, and ask them if the tires would pass. If not, then you know, you need to take care of it, or let them fail the car, and then fix the issue with your spare, as pointed out above, and/or a couple of less expensive used tires with the two new tires.

Some inspectors make a big deal out of an issue, only to have them back down. I was told by one unscrupulous inspector that he was failing my car because it needed new engine mounts. Well, the car was only two years old, and under manufacturer's warranty, so I went back to the dealer and was not happy. The dealer, and an independent shop that I use, both confirmed that the car had no engine mount issues, and the unscrupulous shop was looking to pad their business with a needless repair. They thought I would panic and they could fix it then and there, since one of them told me the engine would fall out of the car when I balked at their price to do it that afternoon.

You can buy a depth gauge for a few dollars at the auto parts store, too, and check your tires. You can also order one from Amazon for a few dollars. In Virginia, you need 2/32" to pass inspection, but that's also the point where you need to think about replacement, even if you pass inspection.

ETA: Here's an article from Tire Rack on tread depth. They have other articles about tire care that might be of interest as well. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=157

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-27-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 03-27-2011, 06:35 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,869,313 times
I forget the actual specs....but a tire has to be almost bald or damaged to fail inspection. Unless you rotate them often, I doubt all four tires would be equally worn enough to fail inspection. Tire joints WILL BS you...

But, like someone said....look for one those "Llantos Usada" (used tires) places. They'll fix you up with some decent tires for cheap.

(and if you need any dental work....some Llantos Usadas reportedly have a chair out back!)

Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 PM

5,183 posts, read 13,312,623 times
Did you have an inspection at the tire store? Did they remove your inspection sticker?

If not, go to an inspection station and see what they say. You may need all 4 tires, or not! There is a minimum tread amount that you must have...it's a safety issue (hence, the Va. SAFETY inspection!!!) You don't want to be driving around on bad tires!

Old 03-27-2011, 07:38 PM

21,346 posts, read 24,013,289 times
You posted the same problem in December. Go onto EBay and find four used tires with at least 8/32 of thread and order them. You should be able to find your size for all four for under $200 including shipping. Then take them to your local repair shop and have them replaced. Cost for this part should ba around $60.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or