U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 09:52 PM

2,669 posts, read 4,510,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerideaf View Post
The new article came out so read "Maryland residents pay higher state, local taxes than Va., D.C. (http://bit.ly/fi8yL5 - broken link)"
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, when the author says things like:

"Retirees, for example, often live where sales taxes are low, but income taxes, which don't affect them, are high."

I just don't know how much confidence to have that anything else in the article is correctly reported or calculated.

A lot of retirees in the area would be pleasantly surprised to learn that all the income tax they have been paying on their pension, 401k, interest, dividend income, etc., and in many cases (part of their) Social Security income don't really exist, and so they would be able to get all of it back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 07:08 AM

2,980 posts, read 3,705,885 times
sorry, i didn't read through the whole thread but what kind of office is the OP opening? I think that would make a big difference of where he/she should settle in NOVA

Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,854,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
And Eastern Loudoun is a lot more liberal than many people think. You don't really hit the conservative communities until you're west of Leesburg, and even then you might be surprised at the diversity of political POV.
The Middleburg precinct voted for Deeds like 60-40 IIRC.

My understanding:

Middleburg is fairly affluent rural liberal (think Jackson Hole WY, Sun Valley ID, etc., if you look at the 2008 Presidential election result county maps, those are the blue spots in the map.)

Sterling varies between conservative exurban (hey, someone has to vote for Delgaudio) and ethnic liberal.

Leesburg has some ethnic liberal areas, some hippy-dippy urban liberals (I'll count myself as that as I refused to look at areas further outside than Catoctin Circle), and some conservative exurban.

Ashburn is pretty conservative exurban.

West of Leesburg is rural conservative.

Not many union liberals, those are pretty rare outside the Rust Belt anyway.

To me, the difference between rural conservative and exurban conservative is that exurban conservatives are more social libertarian in their bent.

FWIW, the Loudoun board is split 5-2-2 Democratic (York and Burton the Independents, although York leans Republican, Burton is pretty independent; Waters and Delgaudio the Republicans.)

Old 04-15-2011, 07:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,792,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post

Ashburn is pretty conservative exurban.
I see Ashburn as fiscally conservative. On social issues, Ashburn can be surprisingly liberal. I totally agree about the lack of union liberals, however. That mght be one way in which MD is different from VA. There are very few people who seem to be interested in unions here (at least among the people I know).

Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,105,982 times
Virginia is for lovers! I love Virginia, anyway.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:32 AM

24 posts, read 107,221 times
We looked at both MD and VA. MD would have been better for DH's job and his commute. We tried HARD to find a decent house there for under $500,000 in AA county. We gave up and bought in VA. I knew my DH wasnt happy about it but what can you do?

DH's job requires him to do a lot of "work" in MD. That is where a lot of things are happening for his job. He came home the other day and said "Thank GOD we didnt buy in MD.... I can't stand it up there". That is a HUGE statement coming from my DH.... he hated the thought of living in VA at first.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,261 times
technology licensing business

Old 04-19-2011, 10:01 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,491,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I see Ashburn as fiscally conservative. On social issues, Ashburn can be surprisingly liberal. I totally agree about the lack of union liberals, however. That mght be one way in which MD is different from VA. There are very few people who seem to be interested in unions here (at least among the people I know).
I think that can pretty much sum most of Northern VA in general. Lower income and corporate taxes, "right to work" employment, less bureaucracy redtape, lack of pandering to the unwilling-to-work welfare class, etc. But for social issues, Virginia is pretty liberal...or at least liberal enough for a person like myself to feel comfortable living in it.

To be fair to Montgomery, it, along with Arlington and Alexandria are probably the most liberal parts of the area. PG County is more of a blue-collar labour class outlook, with it being fiscally liberal and socially conservative. DC itself is very liberal, but can be more backwards than most of the suburbs when it comes to a select amount of social issues.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,792,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
DC itself is very liberal, but can be more backwards than most of the suburbs when it comes to a select amount of social issues.
LOL Thank you for saying that! I thought I was the only person who thought that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia