Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbobobbo View Post
Completely depends where you live and work. I live in Alexandria, work 15 minutes away in Arlington, and avoid dealing with the commuting/traffic issues that much of NoVA takes for granted.

This weekend, however, I had to head west on 66, and it was a parking lot at 495/66 so I bailed at Vienna to go west on 7. Had to drive through Vienna on a Saturday afternoon - no fun! If I had to deal with that every day, I would be hating life.

$750,000 is doable for homes in Arlington, but increasing the budget into the 800's will give better choices.
The traffic in Vienna on a weekend afternoon is worse than it is during the week since people are running weekend errands, so no one has to deal with it every day. However, I did find the daily Vienna-to-DC commute to be a bit of a grind, whereas someone taking the LIRR or Jersey Transit can at least read a book or nap.

There are always trade-offs. Alexandria has (generally) older homes on smaller lots and far more residents end up paying private school tuition because they aren't comfortable with the local public schools. It might work for someone coming from Park Slope, however, because most people with money who live in that part of Brooklyn go the private school route, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 01:05 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
I just have to add, welcome to the area! I moved in late 2009 from the NYC metro region (CT) and is has been GREAT for us. Granted we are in a completely different circumstance than you, we live farther out in the country because we don't have commute into DC. The cost of living is definitely less, particularly taxes as compared to Westchester. It's also easier to get out into the country from DC if you like to do that sort of thing. I am an hour west of DC (not during rush hour) and I am out in the COUNTRY. An hour outside NYC is still very much the burbs. Lots of great sites and day trips within easy reach. Good luck!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:10 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The traffic in Vienna on a weekend afternoon is worse than it is during the week since people are running weekend errands, so no one has to deal with it every day. However, I did find the daily Vienna-to-DC commute to be a bit of a grind, whereas someone taking the LIRR or Jersey Transit can at least read a book or nap.

There are always trade-offs. Alexandria has (generally) older homes on smaller lots and far more residents end up paying private school tuition because they aren't comfortable with the local public schools. It might work for someone coming from Park Slope, however, because most people with money who live in that part of Brooklyn go the private school route, too.
I agree about the trade-offs, and anyway, I was recommending Arlington to OP.

If one's quality of life was less bothered by traffic, and gave greater weight to a very large house with a quarter-acre or more land, two-car garage, recent construction, and under $1 million - then Arlington or Alexandria wouldn't score highly.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:26 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,586,143 times
Having lived in both places, I can say I think your quality of life will definitely improve. In spite of being an expensive place to live, housing-wise you can definitely get more house and space here than in NYC. With your price range, you can either have an awesome house (honestly, more than most people need) a bit further out, or you can get a pretty nice house closer to a metro. But I don't think 30 minutes is enough - more like 45-an hour depending on how long it takes you to get to the metro.

I've seen the living in NYC up close - this is definitely more comfortable.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:37 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Where exactly in DC are the offices? That might help guide us to some better suggestions. Have you ever spent time in the DC area - do you like it? Is all of your family up in the NYC area?

Without knowing any of the answers, if I had to suggest a place for you, I would suggest Bethesda or North Arlington because the public schools are rated very well. They are both very costly, though.

Having said those suggestions, there are some major considerations:

DC is not as big or exciting as NYC, and I can see where some who leave New York would never be happy anywhere else, because there is no place like it. Of course, others adjust fine. And even though DC is an important city, it doesn't have the theatre, the restaurants, the hopping vibe of NYC. It's also much, much smaller.

The other thing to consider is if your family is in New York. It will make for some very frustrating holiday travel. Driving up that way for Thanksgiving can be a nightmare, and you need to make alternate plans like taking off the day on Wednesday or maybe even Tuesday to avoid the traffic. And then you have to come home Saturday b/c traffic on the NJ Turnpike or I-95 on the Sunday after Thanksgiving has to be among the worst traffic in this country. Even going up to NY for the weekend is a challenge because Friday evening traffic driving up 95 and beyond can be a nightmare, too, especially on summer weekends. Which brings me to the beach. The DC area is a minimum of 2 1/2 hours from the beach (on a great day with no traffic), but on summer weekends, it can be 3 1/2 hours or more. Again, you have to plan to leave early on Friday or on Saturday morning.

And as Fairfax Mom alluded to - the pizza and bagels are not very good here. Minor, of course, but still there.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:55 PM

16 posts, read 35,546 times
Thanks so much for all of these helpful replies. You know what, the pizza and bagels aren't very good in Park Slope either (notable exceptions being Bagel Hole and Franny's)!

I've lived in DC proper three different times in my life in four different locations (Foggy Bottom, upper Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and Capitol Hill). I like DC in a different way than I like NYC. If we didn't have a child and want more, then my husband and I would still be living in our walk-up 1-bedroom rental in the East Village. However, we're over that part of our life now and we don't need a happening nightlife--we need playspaces and parks and a yard and good schools.

We don't have family on the East Coast, so we're driving or flying westward when we go to see family. Sounds like the traffic to get out of the area is just as bad as it is here. It can take us 2 hours just to get from Park Slope through the Holland tunnel and into NJ--very frustrating.

I know there's no perfect place to live (Am I wrong??!), but we were hoping DC would be slightly better than NYC....

Old 03-28-2011, 03:02 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,694 times
Do you have any flexibility re: times of day that you would commute? The bridges get backed up until 9:30 or 10 AM, but if at least one of you has flex time, that would be less of an issue.

You might also consider certain neighborhoods in NW DC, e.g., Chevy Chase or Palisades.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
OMG - dont do it. . . . People are plastic and boring. They hate the NY/NJ loudness/friendliness - everyone is conformist and bland. . . .
Ah, people get used to it. I am just as loud, outgoing, friendly, and flamboyant as anywhere. I've found that most people rather enjoy it when someone is friendly and not afraid to speak their minds (or you can get into a fight once in awhile which is just as refreshing).

Quote:
No good pizza or bagels or bakeries here. . .
Have to say property taxes and auto insurance are MUCH lower here.
Yeah, definitely bring any delicacies you can from home (i.e., breads, homemade bagels, etc.) b/c this place won't have it. Same with cheesesteaks, polish sausages, etc. Food is tastes better and better-priced up in NYC/NJ (IMO). But is excellent cuisine from other parts of the globe. There are a few decent bakeries scattered about, mostly Latin-owned.

Clothing isn't so hot either. I need a new pair of jeans and I'm going shopping next time I head to NJ to buy them (plus no tax on clothing); everything here I've seen really sucks.

Taxes and auto ins are definitely lower - you're going to love it.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:52 PM

186 posts, read 488,329 times
If I had a choice I would move to Westchester do Metro North and enjoy being close to the city,

but thats just me.....

Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM

104 posts, read 204,935 times
My wife and then 19 month old just moved from Brooklyn (Windsor Terrace) to NOVA for exactly the same reason. We also used to live in Arlington in our younger years so that helped, just like for you. I can say that the benefits far outweigh the negatives (commute). With your budget, you can get a decent commute either in Arlington or living very close (yes, even walking distance) to one of the metro stations in Fairfax Cty so lets eliminate that. In the slope, the pressure is to be in the PS 321 district (or afford the BC school). In NOVA, any school is just as, if not better, than 321. And that's the biggest deal for young families. You can put school district lower on the list when searching for housing, after budget and commute, since most schools are good relative to NYC public schools.

Your money will go much further here, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia