U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:59 PM

4,489 posts, read 5,667,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Enforcement against Metro parking in the Tysons lots would be done by time. More than say four hours between 9:00 and 5:00 and you get a ticket. This is what they did at the PanAm lots while the Vienna Metro parking ramps were being expanded, and it worked quite well. Nobody is interested in ending free access to the Mall shops, and as long as that is by car, free parking will be available.
I dunno, Pentagon City mall charges parking (even just for 30 minutes), and it doesn't seem to have hurt business there. It's always jam packed when I go. Stores could always decide to validate if they wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 07:45 AM

4,619 posts, read 3,866,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
It's nice to dream everybody is going to hop on a bicycle, but as a working mom who has kids to transport, that will not be practical for me for years. And who wants to hop a bike in a snowstorm? In the rain? On one of those 100% humidity summer evenings? Few.
You are not the demographic that metro is going after. Metro is designed to get WORKERS to WORK, not FAMILIES to run errands.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:46 AM

4,619 posts, read 3,866,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I dunno, Pentagon City mall charges parking (even just for 30 minutes), and it doesn't seem to have hurt business there. It's always jam packed when I go. Stores could always decide to validate if they wanted to.

Most of the parking lots are privately managed. They are eliminating the "validation" of parking for people who shop there.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:39 AM

8,479 posts, read 6,201,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I'm detecting some posters disdain for buses. What's so wrong with hopping on a bus to get to Metro. Being able to do that is one reason I live where I do.
Bus to metro connections can be handy (esp if they can utilize an HOV lane) - depends on the alternative. The disadvantages are A. Usually a slightly less comfy ride B. An extra transfer (though a bus to a metro could still compare favorbaly to taking two metrol lines) with the time involved (both actual transfer time, and the wait time, depending on frequency on the bus line).

OTOH there is almost always a seat, at least on the express buses in NoVa, which is not true for metro rail.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:08 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,188,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
That might work as well. There are some differences of course. PCM is a more of an urban mall and has about 4,300 parking spaces. Tysons is quite suburban and has over 10,000 spaces on the original side with not quite half that again over on the Galleria side. Logistics would be a challenge. Not sure the Galleria clientelle would be all that tolerant, given the demographic. Maybe going to 100% valet parking would be a better bet for them.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:42 PM

19,178 posts, read 20,188,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You are not the demographic that metro is going after. Metro is designed to get WORKERS to WORK, not FAMILIES to run errands.
The workers-to-work thing tapers off between 10:00 and 3:00. Shoppers welcome. Sort of like the streetcar companies used to build amusement parks at the end of the line in order to have someplace to take people on the weekends. A fare is a fare.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:46 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,201,542 times
actually there are workers with odd hours, half shifts, etc.

Metro certainly will take on folks using it for other things - lots of young folks ride it to entertainment in the evenings. But extra revenue isnt the same as the bread and butter.

Not only in terms of revenues, but in terms of the rationale for subsidies. Metro reduces roadway congestion, and the air pollution associated with congested roads with stop and go traffic.

Those benefits are not as significant at hours when the roads are NOT congested.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:55 PM

885 posts, read 563,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I notice they started hopping in cars as soon as they could.
I notice that they started hopping in cars and their bodies started to look more American.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:58 PM

5,622 posts, read 9,571,168 times
I learned my lesson: I do merchandising work at a major dept. store (one in DC, one at Pent. City) - I drove to PC, took over 1 hr. - I can walk to a bus stop (5 minute walk) - go to King St. Metro. and beginning to end: 1/2 hr. tops. I wouldn't even think of driving to Metro Ctr. I do the same bus/metro and am there in approx. 45-50 mins.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 AM

214 posts, read 263,499 times
What, urban areas do not have parking lots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia