Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times

Advertisements

I think it makes sense. It's intended as an inbound destination from other stations, not an outbound park and ride. As was mentioned above we need to get away from the 90s paradigm of people driving from sprawlvilles to spots closer in to get on a train to go into the city. What should be happening instead and what is the vision is for car-free residents of DC to be able to commute to jobs in Tysons. The idea is to make the outer sprawvilles less appealing and urban living moreso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 08:44 AM

540 posts, read 790,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
So, you want to add more people driving into Tyson's just to hop on the metro? That doesn't make any sense. The Wiehle Ave stop will have parking.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Tysons is a destination, not a starting point. For those local residents who would use it as a starting point, most live in the condos/apartments within a 6 block radius and should be able to walk to the station (or get dropped off). Tysons residents are mostly couples without children or singles, so the problem of walking to the station with 2-3 kids is not as big of a concern as in the more suburban areas.

The stations further west have parking.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
what others have said - there will be parking outside Tysons, and adding free parking at Tysons, to bring MORE vehicles into Tysons would be just insane.

Would it be unfair to say something about spoiled rich folks from McLean and Oakton?

Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
So, you want to add more people driving into Tyson's just to hop on the metro? That doesn't make any sense. The Wiehle Ave stop will have parking.
If the goal is to make these stops a destination fine. I can understand that, but I would imagine many of the current residents would be upset considering, for most of them, there is little incentive for them and would probably be against it. I mean I'm sure many of them could have also just decided to go to the Vienna station, so what's the difference? This is more about bringing in revenue to that area than it is to benefit the locals. At this point, most of the residents who would use these stations aren't even there since they are planning so much urban development in the future. Well, if I were a current resident I would be upset because there is little to no benefit. You won't benefit from using these stations unless you take a bus there and your local shopping areas are going to charge for parking. That is my point. And please don't act (not talking specifically to you) like Tyson's Corner being declare a destination is not news, because there wouldn't be a newspaper article written with this kind of response.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
If the goal is to make these stops a destination fine. I can understand that, but I would imagine many of the current residents would be upset considering, for most of them, there is little incentive for them and would probably be against it. I mean I'm sure many of them could have also just decided to go to the Vienna station, so what's the difference? This is more about bringing in revenue to that area than it is to benefit the locals. At this point, most of the residents who would use these stations aren't even there since they are planning so much urban development in the future. Well, if I were a current resident I would be upset because there is little to no benefit. You won't benefit from using these stations unless you take a bus there and your local shopping areas are going to charge for parking. That is my point. And please don't act (not talking specifically to you) like Tyson's Corner being declare a destination is not news, because there wouldn't be a newspaper article written with this kind of response.
A. The metro line is being built for the benefit of the entire region, not particularly for the benefit of the Tysons residents.
B. Nonetheless they will certainly benefit, since they wil be able to WALK to the stations. Tysons isnt THAT huge, and there will be FOUR stations.
C. The main point of the article was to discuss plans for buses, bike access, etc, not to indicate that its newsworthy that there will be no parking lots.

So yeah, Tysons being a destination is NOT news. I dont think the article indicated it was, and if it did, that just shows a problem with the WaPo.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
The idea is to make the outer sprawvilles less appealing and urban living moreso.
I take the opposite POV. I think the idea of having metro extend out into the sprawl is to make life out here even more appealling. (Of course, we both agree that the biggest idea of building the silver line is to get cars off the road, which suits both of our purposes.)

Old 03-29-2011, 10:49 AM

People from Oakton would be more likely to go to the Vienna station, anyway. It's a much easier driver than navigating Tysons just to go to a train station. In the sme way, people in McLean will choose the easier (and closer) drive to one of the Falls Church stations.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
what others have said - there will be parking outside Tysons, and adding free parking at Tysons, to bring MORE vehicles into Tysons would be just insane.

Would it be unfair to say something about spoiled rich folks from McLean and Oakton?
Go ahead. It doesn't cost anything.

One of the advantages of living in McLean is a relatively tolerable commute by car to either DC or Tysons, or to one of the existing Falls Church metro stations if one prefers.

I understand the logic of not encouraging people to drive to parking garages in Tysons, but I also expect that, before any substantial amount of additional housing is actually built in Tysons, the community groups in Vienna and McLean will extract some commitments from the powers that be to provide some type of decent, and at least semi-regular, bus/shuttle service from the eastern edge of Vienna and central McLean to some of the Tysons stations.

Last edited by JD984; 03-29-2011 at 11:42 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
but I also expect that, before any substantial amount of additional housing is actually built in Tysons, the community groups in Vienna and McLean will extract some commitments from the powers that be to provide some type of decent, and at least semi-regular, bus/shuttle service from the eastern edge of Vienna and central McLean to some of the Tysons stations.
Which would ALSO A. Give them a way (better than existing bus service) to get via transit to the employment and retail in Tysons and B. Give folks coming from elsewhere on metro an easier way to get to relatively walkable areas in Vienna and McLean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia