U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 06:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,785,602 times

Advertisements

FWIW, the kids in Lansdowne call Belmont Ridge "the Hood." And McLean is "ghetto" to the kids who live in Great Falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:03 AM

4,681 posts, read 5,508,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakAttack View Post
Everybody calls it Hoodbridge....affectionately by those living in Woodbridge, and derogatory by those living outside Woodbridge.
No, Zak, not "everybody" calls it Hoodbridge. I've lived here for 30 years. and I must live a very sheltered life, because the very first time I saw Woodbridge referred to as Hoodbridge was when that word was used by a yahoo here on the NoVA forum.

And it is beyond my comprehension why anyone would "affectionately" use a derogatory word when referring to the place they live, unless they simply don't know any better.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 AM

2,980 posts, read 3,704,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, the kids in Lansdowne call Belmont Ridge "the Hood." And McLean is "ghetto" to the kids who live in Great Falls.
Lol, Loudoun County is a whole different animal. I've lived there my whole life and you'd be hard pressed to find a "ghetto" in LC

Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 AM

518 posts, read 780,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
No, Zak, not "everybody" calls it Hoodbridge. I've lived here for 30 years. and I must live a very sheltered life, because the very first time I saw Woodbridge referred to as Hoodbridge was when that word was used by a yahoo here on the NoVA forum.

And it is beyond my comprehension why anyone would "affectionately" use a derogatory word when referring to the place they live, unless they simply don't know any better.
I can understand where you are coming from GreenGene. I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I see 'hood being used as a familiar form abbreviation of a neighborhood in a middle to lower income area. Where I have spent the vast majority of my life.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:54 AM

3,146 posts, read 8,081,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
I was actually thinking specifically of going south on 95... It seemed to me like the 'pleasant' vibe I described in my earlier post started once you arrived in the general Quantico area - both north and south (which is actually pretty hilarious, when you consider how often 'Quantico' is mentioned in vaguely ominous tones in so many suspense films). But there are lots and lots and lots of open (i.e., not-people-filled) spaces where I come from, so I think it's just something my body subconsciously craves.
Ah yes, agreed that south of Woodbridge is where PWC gets scenic and rural-looking. Since 95 in that area is sandwiched between Quantico base and Prince William Forest Park, it seems like it will stay that way too.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,853,010 times
Fairfax City ghetto like West Alexandria or Annandale? Really?

Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 14,285 times
I don't know what you consider ghetto but Woodbridge is not that. Just because it's overcrowded at the mall (which I don't know what popular mall isn't) doesn't mean it's ghetto. Yes all people want bargains just as all classes and races alike set up tents and even fight for items on "Black Friday" and that's in any area. The only thing I think is an issue in the area is when people can come into a restaurant with a weapon and just because it's legal makes people uncomfortable in this unsafe "WORLD" not area. People commit crimes in all areas just watch City Confidential or other real crime shows. It's not ghetto, you just don't like it...say that.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 14,285 times
Red face Woodbridge Not Ghetto, Hood, or Gangstar

I don't know what you consider ghetto, hood, or high gang areas (gangster) but Woodbridge is not that. I think people have their own preference on what they consider appropriate doesn't mean it's those negative things. Just because it's overcrowded at the mall (which I don't know what popular mall isn't) doesn't mean it's ghetto. Yes all people want bargains just as all classes and races alike set up tents and even fight for items on "Black Friday" and that's in any area. The only thing I think is an issue in the area is when people can come into a restaurant with a weapon and just because it's legal makes people uncomfortable in this unsafe "WORLD" not area. People commit crimes in all areas just watch City Confidential or other real crime shows. I came from all different areas including overseas and I can if I choose say all of East Coast is ghetto, hood, or gangster but I don't because it's just different from what I am used to. People are uptight, police profile (not just racial), people aren't helping others unless it benefits them, and the laws are relaxed to fit those in power and of certain classes that makes it so. It's not the area, it's the people and those who perceive things as good and bad...you just don't like it...say that. God Bless you all.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,971,398 times
Anyone who was a fan of the Post's weekly Style Invitational probably thinks of Woodbridge as the home of the Ken Jennings of that contest, Chuck Smith.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,308,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutter2d View Post
Woodbridge is probably the most ghetto place in NOVA. I used to go to metal shows at this bar called The Spotlight along Route 1 in the Potomac Plaza. It closed down in like 2003 because there were frequently stabbings and shootings there.

If you are driving down Route 1 from the North, Woodbridge is the first glimpse of the Southern culture you get to see. IMO Woodbridge looks like it belongs in Alabama or South Carolina, not in Prince William County.

lol last statement is true soo much...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia