Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 04:46 AM

68 posts, read 222,640 times

Advertisements

My agency offers the 4/10 schedule along with the 5/4/9 and a flex schedule. I can't stand 10hr days and since we have a certain amount of work that needs to be done in our biweek the 4/10 schedule is not a good schedule if you really need to be productive the whole 80hrs you are working...

Interestingly enough on the flex schedule you can actually work up to 12hrs a day if you are approved for it by your supervisor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:01 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
The point seems to be emerging at last that the federal government has indeed been at or near the forefront in promoting and offering alternative work schedules in situations where those are appropriate. Not all workers or work situations are well-suited to it, but such options have been available where a federal worker and supervisor feel it makes sense since the 1990's, and non-standard 8-hour workdays from well before that. Telework has also been advanced as improving technology has made that a more and more efficient and effective option. My office has several who are on full-time telework and reside nowhere near DC. Boston, New Yotk, Pittsburgh, and Nashville come to mind as examples. These people come in for a few days of meetings and discussions, then it's back to the other end of the internet for them. With phone, e-mail, IM, and web conferencing, nobody misses a beat over it. Maternal and other extended periods of medical leave are being handled in the same way.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
My former agency supported 4-10 schedules unless, say, you were like me and were the only person doing your kind of work. Most of my department did the compressed schedule that oneasterisk described. We just had to balance it over the two-week pay period so that 1/4 had the first Monday off, 1/4 had the first Friday, 1/4 had the second Monday, 1/4 had the second Friday. I still did get called on my day off to handle some web "emergencies", but I was able to work from home or go in to a nearby field facility if necessary.
That is the problem with have "key person" dependencies. No job should be done by just one person. Everyone should have a backup, else shut down the business one day a week.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:19 AM

206 posts, read 432,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm76 View Post
My agency offers the 4/10 schedule along with the 5/4/9 and a flex schedule. I can't stand 10hr days and since we have a certain amount of work that needs to be done in our biweek the 4/10 schedule is not a good schedule if you really need to be productive the whole 80hrs you are working...

Interestingly enough on the flex schedule you can actually work up to 12hrs a day if you are approved for it by your supervisor...
I think we work at the same place. I have actually worked one of those 12 hour days when I was in a crunch.

I just felt like flopping onto the bed and going to sleep right after I got home.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:12 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,802,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
For those who have worked 4/10 (or know someone who does), do you have kids? I was just curious if the longer day made it more difficult to get kids to things like sports practice, club meetings, etc. that often occur in the early evening.
I was wondering the same thing. I can barely pick up my daughter and bring her to events as it is. As much as I would love to work a 10-hour day and get an extra day off a week, unless the schools change hours and such, I just can't see it being feasible for a working parent. It would be a nice option to offer people who don't have to worry about kids though (and would still benefit the rest of us with lighter traffic, etc).

Old 04-05-2011, 10:25 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
I know that Utah has been doing this since 2008/2009:

The Four-Day Workweek Is Winning Fans - TIME

Old 04-06-2011, 02:30 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,246,713 times
The Environmental Protection Agency offers 4-10 work schedule, but I only know a few people that do it. Most people do a CWS with one day off every two weeks.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 PM

564 posts, read 1,493,879 times
I prefer a normal 8 hour day because I'm going to need to be available when my outside contacts are around. I'm going to work a 5 day week because customers and suppliers do too. Also it's a real pain managing to that schedule when you have people in California where any hours in excess of 8/day for hourly employees are considered overtime regardless and must be paid at time and a half.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM

688 posts, read 1,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrekyos View Post
I think we work at the same place. I have actually worked one of those 12 hour days when I was in a crunch.

I just felt like flopping onto the bed and going to sleep right after I got home.
Yep. And think about this...one of the toughest jobs, as an RN working in a hospital, is ALL 12 HOUR SHIFTS now. Talk about beat! (and I wonder about the the patients...how is the quality of care after, say, 10 hours...) ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia