Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times

Advertisements

This probably isn't much of a NoVA question but I am really only interested in how it relates to Virginia colleges.

I have had one child go through the college process in Virginia and it didn't go well for her (not a great student with some learning issues). Getting into a VA state school has gotten extremely competitive in the last few years according to the guidance counselor and, just a few years ago, my DD's GPA would have gotten her in some of the schools she applied to. But I digress....

My son is in a private high school. He also was in a private middle school. In 8th grade, he had a HORRIBLE math teacher (Algebra 1). Even he knew it. We had no other options. When he took the high school placement test for his private high school, he needed to get a 70 on the test in order to place into Geometry. He missed it by 5 points. So in 9th grade, he was put in Algebra 1 Honors. He got almost a perfect A in the class and did very well. This year he is in Geometry Honors and is doing very well. This year he started telling me that it always bothered him that he was "behind." He made noises about taking Algebra 2 in summer school this year so he could go into pre-calc next year and then have calculus by his senior year. I have investigated this option and it is doable. Of course, now he's having second thoughts when he realized his whole summer is going to be messed up.

I am not one of those "pushy" parents. Sometimes I think I should be more pushy. I sort of want him to do this because two of the colleges he might be applying for have stated on their websites that many of their admitted students have calculus in their senior year.

I know it can't hurt him to do this but are we overthinking this? Is it really going to be a crime that he doesn't have calculus by senior year?

He is currently a 3.7-4.0 student, tests well enough, and will do AP next year for some subjects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:43 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,733 times
Yes, he should take the summer math class if he'd like to take Calculus by senior year. No, his whole summer won't be messed up. I took summer school math here in Virginia and LOVED it. I was so much more focused. It was easy and went by quickly, not to mention fun because it was summertime, everyone was in a good mood and it was the only subject to deal with. Its a good idea for him to take calculus in high school. Students who took calculus in high school usually aced it (or placed out of it) in college. The only risk is to his high school GPA -- that is something to consider. But on the flip side, his college GPA may be better.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:16 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,397 times
I think it depends on whether he plans to major in a STEM program of study in college.

If he plans to go into the humanities, he may not need calculus whatsoever. If he plans to major in any form of a STEM program (or maybe just might major in STEM), he needs calculus in high school. (Without question.)

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I think it depends on whether he plans to major in a STEM program of study in college.

If he plans to go into the humanities, he may not need calculus whatsoever. If he plans to major in any form of a STEM program (or maybe just might major in STEM), he needs calculus in high school. (Without question.)

It's hard to say now what he will do. He likes math and is toying with the idea of engineering but, really, he needs some sort of mentor because he has NO clue what an engineer does. He LOVES history but has said he probably wouldn't be able to get a good job with a history degree. He's good in English but doesn't particularly like it.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
It's hard to say now what he will do. He likes math and is toying with the idea of engineering but, really, he needs some sort of mentor because he has NO clue what an engineer does. He LOVES history but has said he probably wouldn't be able to get a good job with a history degree. He's good in English but doesn't particularly like it.
I recommend he do what it takes to take Calculus in high school, if his college requirements are likely to require upper math. My experience as someone who was in Ffx Co GT math and English and took high school Calculus, but was just so-so at math compared to the really brainy math whizzes, was that college Calculus was significantly harder and faster-paced.

Aside from that, if his interest in history is also an interest in the history of a foreign country or region, and not USA, bear in mind that this area has opportunities for analysts and experts on foreign policy, foreign economics, social modeling, ethnography, etc, where history could be the jumping-off point into more advanced/specialized studies later.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have absolutely no statistics to back this up, but I'd guess that a majority of adults are not making a living in the field they anticipated going into for a career at the age of 15 or 16.

Since he likes math, I'd aim to get calculus done in high school, simply as it keeps other options open.

As for career exploration (such as but not limited to engineering), might he be interested enough to contact one of the professional societies? If you search on National Engineers Week (usually a week in February), you can find not only professional societies, but also public events where students can meet engineers, talk about their careers, learn about various types of engineering study, etc. We went to Family Engineering Day last month (at the National Building Museum) and there were all ages talking with professional engineers as well as current college students about all sorts of possibilities for study and careers.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeFish View Post
I have absolutely no statistics to back this up, but I'd guess that a majority of adults are not making a living in the field they anticipated going into for a career at the age of 15 or 16.

Since he likes math, I'd aim to get calculus done in high school, simply as it keeps other options open.

As for career exploration (such as but not limited to engineering), might he be interested enough to contact one of the professional societies? If you search on National Engineers Week (usually a week in February), you can find not only professional societies, but also public events where students can meet engineers, talk about their careers, learn about various types of engineering study, etc. We went to Family Engineering Day last month (at the National Building Museum) and there were all ages talking with professional engineers as well as current college students about all sorts of possibilities for study and careers.
Thanks for the info--this is something that we need to do. While this is my second child, my first one didn't care much about things and not highly motivated. My son is much different and I feel like a novice.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:52 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
Get calculus done in high school! It's so much better to learn it in a safe, small class environment where you can ask questions and have a relationship with the teacher than it will be to take it as a freshman weeder class.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:22 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,411 times
Default More math

If he wants to major in engineering or any science, I highly recommend he take calculus in high school. And if the school offers them, take more advanced calculus classes if they are available.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras View Post
If he wants to major in engineering or any science, I highly recommend he take calculus in high school. And if the school offers them, take more advanced calculus classes if they are available.
The school does offer them; however, on his current track he won't be able to take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia