U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,136,868 times

Advertisements

I am not real sure how to word this, so please bear with me if it sounds stupid. IMO it has been really cool this March, however this being my first spring in NOVA, not sure if this is normal. Is there any correlation between cooler springs and warmer summers? Any predictions from those who have lived here for a long time on how hot are summer will be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 05:48 AM

10,596 posts, read 12,083,065 times
As a lifelong resident, this March's weather doesn't seem unusual to me. I find that, overall, March can be very cold, blustery and uncomfortable so, the few warms days that we have had, have seemed "unusual" to me.

Brace yourself for April and May. It's taken me until my 40s to realize that these two months never come up to my expectations.

April and May *start* the improvement and certainly you get true springlike weather but I don't find April to be particularly nice. It is often wet/rainy, you can still get very cold days. Occasionally, you can have days where you put on shorts, but they are a tease. Overall, I find the month depressing. May only gets slightly better. I can't tell you how many times it's cold, dreary, and raining on my husband's birthday (which is May 7). I've also spent more Memrial Day weekends in a jacket and jeans than in summer clothes. All I ever hope for is one of those weather patterns that are dry and then you seem to have a nice April and May.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:09 AM

4,264 posts, read 8,136,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
As a lifelong resident, this March's weather doesn't seem unusual to me. I find that, overall, March can be very cold, blustery and uncomfortable so, the few warms days that we have had, have seemed "unusual" to me.

Brace yourself for April and May. It's taken me until my 40s to realize that these two months never come up to my expectations.

April and May *start* the improvement and certainly you get true springlike weather but I don't find April to be particularly nice. It is often wet/rainy, you can still get very cold days. Occasionally, you can have days where you put on shorts, but they are a tease. Overall, I find the month depressing. May only gets slightly better. I can't tell you how many times it's cold, dreary, and raining on my husband's birthday (which is May 7). I've also spent more Memrial Day weekends in a jacket and jeans than in summer clothes. All I ever hope for is one of those weather patterns that are dry and then you seem to have a nice April and May.

Oh now you have ruined my day I was so hoping that this week would be the end of this cold.

Being from S Texas and then living in the desert S West for the last 10 yrs, by April for all intents and purposes summer is well on it's way.

Hmmmm guess I will have to prepare myself for the worst. I guess the upside would be that you let me know now so I don't get excited about nice, warmer weather anywhere in the near future.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:39 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,750,234 times
It's ruined my day too! I want my money back!!

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM

... although Capital Weather Gang says this for today / the upcoming week-ish -->

"there’s really nothing spring-like about the sometimes wet 40s and 50s we’re expecting the next few days. Finally, by late in the weekend and next week we should start to return to our regularly scheduled spring programming with highs near or above 60."

Old 03-30-2011, 06:54 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,826,108 times
ajmom, I was just thinking about you and how I wish our spring was putting on a better show for you. It's a bummer that you missed spring last year and now that you finally get to experience one it's a dud (at least so far).

Old 03-30-2011, 07:06 AM

2,672 posts, read 6,236,505 times
It's hard to gauge the weather in this area. Some years, we have a nice long spring. Then some years are Springs are really short and go right into a long hot summer.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:33 AM

At this point I would take the latter right now, as is "Spring ends in a week or so, and a long hot summer starts early"!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,794,056 times
I can't stand those days where you wake up at 8 am and it's 90 degrees with no sign of cooling off.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:17 AM

158 posts, read 330,250 times
My son will be 6 on May 31 and I will say that for 3 out of his 6 birthdays, it was hot, humid and thunderstorm-y on his birthday weekend. We have been here for 7 years and I think May is the best month. I feel like sometimes we get only 2-3 really great spring days and then it is right into hot and humid summer. Although the year before last was a really mild summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia