U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,203,119 times
how long to get from rosslyn to tysons in the morning and afternoon on average? 30 mins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 PM

4,033 posts, read 5,072,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
how long to get from rosslyn to tysons in the morning and afternoon on average? 30 mins?
I'm sure Stephen knows better than me but I would guess 30 in the morning and 35-45 in the evening. Afternoon traffic on 66 is kinda rough between the Beltway and Glebe Rd.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:47 PM

660 posts, read 1,008,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm sure Stephen knows better than me but I would guess 30 in the morning and 35-45 in the evening. Afternoon traffic on 66 is kinda rough between the Beltway and Glebe Rd.
That sounds about right. My commute took me forty minutes this evening, and I actually left a few minutes before 5. I'm coming from 66, though - if you're coming from the Toll Road, YMMV.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:00 PM

4 posts, read 4,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaornova View Post
Looking at relocating to NOVA, working in Tyson's Corner off Leesburg Pike / Chain Bridge Road.

After researching others posts Old Town Alexandria looks absolutely ideal - walkable, foodie, good fit socially, quick metro to DC. But how brutal would the commute be? Under an hour? I understand the last five miles is about thirty minutes, but is the difference between 15 and 20 miles away not as much?

The clarendon/ballston/courthouse area sounds good too in terms of activity and close to metro, but also sounds more expensive and don't really care about "hoppin bars".

Would appreciate any input or other places we may be missing. Main concerns are:

1 or 2 bedroom Apartment budget of ~$2K
walking distance to metro or on a good busline
walkable neighborhood

Thanks in advance

I moved to NoVA 5 years ago. Take this as truth: your commute will most likely be frustrating and completely unpredictable no matter where you work or where you live. If you are anything like me and can get easily ticked off, you will have to learn relaxation techniques to prolong your life (stress makes ya die quicker right? :P ) and the lives of others. Not a day goes by I don't wish a fiery fireball of death upon a handful of NoVA elite. I don't know whats worse though, when someone doesn't even look and almost causes an accident, or is looking you in the eye as they pull a completely jerk move.

Personally, I live in Arlington and work in Fairfax, taking 495N to 66W to 28N. No matter what, the afternoon commute always sucks, sometimes worse than others. The mornings are a complete crapshoot. Could take me 25 mins one morning, or an hour+ the next. Sometimes your highway on-ramp will have a backup of 20 mins. Other days there is no backup at all. There really is no rhyme or reason to the terrible drivers and terrible traffic - it's completely unavoidable.

Oh, welcome to NoVA by the way!

Old 03-31-2011, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
You could get to Tysons within 30 mins, but that doesnt count attempting to manipulate through traffic to your destination. I would leave an hour early each day for a week and then adjust accordingly. Probably won't be much adjustment. Afternoons will be worse by about 10-15mins on average. Tysons can be hellish.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 AM

15 posts, read 22,057 times
Thanks for all the input. The main sense I am getting is that I am not way off the mark in my thinking here - a sign of a great forum.

I am now leaning toward North Arlington, but I am going to try to get into a temporary situation for a few months. Thanks again.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM

4,131 posts, read 3,764,334 times
I agree: N. Arlington is the way to go--but you might also consider McLean, near Old Dominion. Tons of apartments along there, near the J. Gilbert's restaurant. There are also some townhouses and condos on Chain Bridge Road (Merry Wood--probably expensive) and on N. Glebe (in Arlington), next to a large Episcopal church, near Chain Bridge Forest. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia