Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 03:56 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSincere973 View Post
The area is not nearly as liberal as the conversative [rural stereotype] make it out to be...The Conversative [rural stereotype] is still the majority in Northern VA!
Why would[rural stereotypes] make themselves out to be liberals? Especially conversative [rural stereotypes]. With all that conversing, you'd think they'd be talking about how great it is to be [rural stereotypes]. Or at least about Nascar.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-31-2011 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: The forum isn't the place to discuss [rural stereotypes].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 03:57 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,404,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Hey, guys - stay on topic! Would he or wouldn't Gerry change the local Confederate names in our area??

My guess is that, given his druthers, he'd change Lee and Stuart HS to Cesar Chavez and Barbara Jordan HS in a heartbeat!
Gerry Connolly's handlers would have him say anything to get him re-elected. I don't get the impression Connolly thinks for himself on any issue. He drifts in whatever direction seems popular at the moment. If removing Confederate names from schools/roads in NoVA became a hot issue, he'd be all over it.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
There's still a Jefferson Davis Highway and a Robert E. Lee Hgh school as someone posted about below. Has anyone attempted to bring this up and change names, or is it really not worth the effort?

There's a Lee-Davis High School in Richmond and their athletic teams' names are the Confederates: the Lee-Davis Confederates which has me equally surprised. Would have thought there'd be a lawsuit or something soon.

I'm not offended at all by slight, unprominant references to the Confederate past like simply naming a school after Lee, but some people are.
They still have the memorial to the Confederate soldier in Old Town.I remember this from when I was a kid.

Still a lot of long settled families in this area they would have a fit if No. Va Confederate heritage was whitewashed.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Quote:
Hey, guys - stay on topic!
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:26 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,164,684 times
Ladies and Gentlemen,

On at least two occasions in this thread, a certain term has been used that rhymes with "henpecked" to describe a rural stereotype. While one may argue where and when it's appropriate to use such a term - like at a Jeff Foxworthy concert, perhaps - a moderators' discussion from long ago determined that that term is inappropriate for City-Data. Whether or not you see it show up in other forums, it won't be accepted here. Thank you for continuing to respect your fellow members.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
forget connolly for now

in 2009, FFX voted for McConnell over Creigh Deeds by 51 to 49 percent. Loudon and PWC went much more heavily for McConnell. Only jurisdictions in NoVa that supported Deeds were FFX city, Falls church (?) alex, and arlington.

Was Deeds too a "Pelosi liberal"?

fact is FFX county leans conservative.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,559,582 times
Quote:
My guess is that, given his druthers, he'd change Lee and Stuart HS to Cesar Chavez and Barbara Jordan HS in a heartbeat!
Barbara Jordan was a DLC member, IIUC, and a moderate

Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,868,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Still a lot of long settled families in this area they would have a fit if No. Va Confederate heritage was whitewashed.
I don't think so. At least not in the City limits. In the City, at least for white folks, long settled families mean senior citizens that moved into the City in the 1960's.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
If removing Confederate names from schools/roads in NoVA became a hot issue, he'd be all over it.
I'm not regularly a defender for Connolly, but in this case I think most of us would go along with it if someone seriously cared about changing the name of a street (for whatever reason). It's like this: right now our inner "meh" says we have better things to do with out time/money. OTOH, if someone else want to do it, the inner "meh" says "if it means something to you and I don't care and you're willing to do all the work and pay for it--go for it."

So.... talk is cheap, guys. If any of you really care about this and it isn't just about trying to stir up a little excitement on city-data--go ahead! Take the lead, and if you're really willing to do all the work involved you'll probably succeed.

ps. Tone--my apologies for my earlier post. I've noted that it's considered an offensive word and won't use it again.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
I assume that Mosby Woods Elementary School is named after John Mosby, a Civil War colonel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia