U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:48 PM

5,738 posts, read 8,938,746 times

Advertisements

Good God--WON'T THIS THREAD PLEASE DIE! DIE, THREAD, DIE!!!

Please, Mods, won't you close threads that are more than three months old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupono View Post
I do live in NOVA. Clinging to the Confederate past diminishes a truly wonderful state.
Very good on living here but we'll just have to agree to disagree on the latter.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM

518 posts, read 782,186 times
It boils down to not enough people really worry about these things to change them. Usually it is the more transient residents who become upset over these names. By the time anything would be able to be pushed through the transient residents have moved on thus removing the motivation to the current push to change the offending name.

I was born, raised and returned to NOVA. I have always seen them as references to people from our history. Good or bad they are part of our history and heritage. Slavery was a big mistake in the history of the United States, but it was a mistake that most all of our founding fathers participated in. Where would one draw the line as to when you stop removing names? Leave them as a reminder of the mistakes of our country until we find a better name to replace them with.

If these names are so offensive to you take it up with your local politicians. Start a grassroots movement to get them changed. I have bigger worries than the name of the overcrowded school with the overworked and underpaid teachers or why the overused and under-maintained road lined with dying businesses is named after someone who held a political office on the losing side of a defining war in the history of our great nation.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:55 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupono View Post
Anyone in America should be proud to teach the children about a president who put us on a path to the moon and started the Peace Corp., with the help of Sargent Shriver. No one would be proud to share to exploits of a traitor who in the end was humiliated.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that (1) you weren't in touch with Gerald Ford before he restored Lee's U.S. citizenship posthumously in 1975, after stating that it was an event in which "every American can take pride"; and (2) haven't read many George Will columns lately, much less the recent one where he referred to President Kennedy as "callow" and "weak."

Not saying that I agree with either, but only that you're laboring under false pretenses if you think there's a unanimity of views about anyone in these parts.

Last edited by JD984; 08-15-2011 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that (1) you weren't in touch with Gerald Ford before he posthumously restored Lee's U.S. citizenship in 1975, after stating that it was an event in which "every American can take pride"; and (2) haven't read many George Will columns lately, much less the recent one where he referred to President Kennedy as "callow" and "weak."

Not saying that I agree with either, but only that you're laboring under false pretenses if you think there's a unanimity of views about anyone in these parts.

wait, George Will lives HERE?

Old 08-15-2011, 03:13 PM

5,071 posts, read 8,616,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
wait, George Will lives HERE?
PP referred to "anyone in America...." Will lives in Chevy Chase (or at least he used to).

Last edited by JD984; 08-15-2011 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-15-2011, 03:34 PM

19 posts, read 21,231 times
Default Gerald Ford really?

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that (1) you weren't in touch with Gerald Ford before he restored Lee's U.S. citizenship in 1975, after stating that it was an event in which "every American can take pride"; and (2) haven't read many George Will columns lately, much less the recent one where he referred to President Kennedy as "callow" and "weak."

Gerald Ford was an unelected president. The restoration was a congressional act. President Ford's ridiculous statement aside, Lee probably should have been hung after the war. His mythologized example is a disgrace.

(I have moved my discussion along these lines to threads in the history forum. This lively debate is good example of one of many reasons NOVA is a great place to live. Civil discourse among educated people is one of our strengths)

Old 08-15-2011, 03:39 PM

8,771 posts, read 10,673,360 times
Quote:
PP referred to "anyone in America...." Will lives in Chevy Chase (or at least he used to).

well thats a relief.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:57 PM

19 posts, read 21,231 times
Default That is uncalled for

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
well thats a relief.
...after I complemented you, and others, for your civility and intelligence.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:41 AM

6,553 posts, read 10,842,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Good God--WON'T THIS THREAD PLEASE DIE! DIE, THREAD, DIE!!!

Please, Mods, won't you close threads that are more than three months old?

Wouldn't it be better to just not open this thread and read it if it bothers you? Although I don't agree with some of the posters I certainly don't mind reading their points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or