Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 AM

83 posts, read 195,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
When banks are giving away cash, take as much as you can. Put down whatever gives you a favorable rate and absolutely do not put down more than that.
But they're not "giving away cash." They're loaning it to you at 5% (give or take). Where else are you going to earn a guaranteed 5% with your money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 09:30 AM

4,435 posts, read 8,121,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmont View Post
But they're not "giving away cash." They're loaning it to you at 5% (give or take). Where else are you going to earn a guaranteed 5% with your money?
It isn't guaranteed, hence numerous banks going under for holding bad loans. Not everyone pays their debts...

Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 AM

83 posts, read 195,325 times
You misunderstood. I'm talking from the perspective of the consumer. By putting more money down, and thus borrowing less at 5%, you're paying less interest. The impact on your bottom line is the same in that scenario as if you were earning 5% on your money (the money you saved instead of using for the down payment). Five percent on savings/investments has gotten really hard to come by in today's market. Thus it can often make sense to put more money down, rather than holding the funds in reserve, where they do very little for you.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:21 PM

14 posts, read 43,119 times
If you are going from renter to homeowner, you'll might need cash for things like blinds (could need a lot of them and they can run you many thousands of dollars), a washer and dryer, lawn equipment (lawn mower, weed whacker, sprinklers), cleaning supplies (good vacuum, Bruce hardwood floor cleaner, air filters), furniture (you'll need to fill all those rooms with something), etc. Many people put themselves in a bind by buying too much house and/or making too big a down payment, then they end up with a nice house with paper blinds and Ikea furniture (or worse).

Old 04-02-2011, 07:09 PM

274 posts, read 708,467 times
Don't take it personally. That's difficult advice to take, I've been there.

That said, I've been criticized as well, by those professionals who have probably half the transaction numbers. It's all relative, and "local"! A very fine mortgage professional spoke very well on the numerous products that were perfect for certain clients ... don't let others speculate on information gathered by a few newspaper articles (very broad brush). Many of my clients are FHA (4.5%) or VA and will do just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
I am buying a house here and putting 20% down--as we all know, no matter what the home, in NoVa that's a lot of money and it wasn't easy to gather it all.

Anyway, I was on financial forum and contemplated putting 15% down instead of 20% so as not to use up all my cash reserves and asked for opinions (mainly about the PMI I would have to pay since my interest rate would be the same).

There were exceptions, but I was pretty much chewed out for asking to have things "handed to me" and that I should put 20% or more down! That I was irresponsible, etc, etc, for even contemplating such a thing. That I (personally from the sound of it) was the cause of the whole housing collapse. And to top it off, they even scolded me for paying as much as I do in rent because it's more slightly more than 25% of my take home income (ironically, a mortgage payment with 20% down, for me, ends up being less than my current rent).

Anyway, it kind of bugged me. But then again, I wondered if the people "scolding me" had any appreciation for the fact that my down payment here is more than a lot of houses cost in other parts of the county. Are they even in the same reality as we are here in NoVa as it were? I just envision some guy in a $120k house in the Midwest (which would sell for $500k here) wagging his finger at me because I *only* saved $88k for a house when he probably only put up $24k for his.

What are your thought on "housing rules" and how they apply or don't apply to the NoVa housing market? Should I even bother asking for tips or advice from the rest of the county? I think, except for other markets like ours, that we are playing by a different set of rules here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia